Garmin GPSMAP 495

Old March 28th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

Kobra wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message
Marco Leon wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package
at $1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate
Garmin's ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think
this is a winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi,
better processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to
justify a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong
angle as an IFR flyer...

Marco

I agree that the drop should have been more than $400. But don't
undervalue that faster processor and 5x faster refresh rate.

I understood that the faster processer was only put in because of the higher
resolution maps. Therefore, it updates not much faster than the 396 with a
slower processor and lower res maps. I also understand the Panel Page is
the big winner of the faster processor and can almost be completely relied
on for a backup turn coordinator and DG.

Kobra

Yes the panel page is where it really shines.
Old March 28th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 27, 7:02*am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

I have the 296 and there really is very little difference between the
two looking at the comparision. I was pretty excited when I first
heard about the 495 but now I'm not so excited....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=14751
Old March 28th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote in
:

It was a joke, nitwit.

To prevent such misunderstandings, we have adopted the practice of
appending a :-) to indicate sarcasm.
Old March 28th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

It was a joke, nitwit.

Yeah, right. Know what to do in that case? Add a g or something like
that. I did, nitwit.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 28th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 28, 11:56 am, Thomas Borchert

Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

:-P
Old March 28th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote in
:

It was a joke, nitwit.

To prevent such misunderstandings, we have adopted the practice of
appending a :-) to indicate sarcasm.

Kind of a visual aid for the humor impaired.

Bertie
Old March 28th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Dan,

It was a joke, nitwit.

Yeah, right. Know what to do in that case? Add a g or something like
that. I did, nitwit.

For one who has lost his sense of hmor at birth. Must be a sort of
circumcisn thing there..

Bertie
Old March 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

I have the 296 and there really is very little difference between the
two looking at the comparision. I was pretty excited when I first
heard about the 495 but now I'm not so excited....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=14751

Garmin is (was) usually pretty good at putting compelling features on their
products at a price that makes you bite your lip as you reach for your
wallet. The 495 seems out of character. Maybe they want their aviation
products to make your head spin from the dizzying number of versions like
thier Nuvi product line.

Marco

Old March 28th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 28, 11:41*am, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

Garmin is (was) usually pretty good at putting compelling features on their
products at a price that makes you bite your lip as you reach for your
wallet. The 495 seems out of character. Maybe they want their aviation
products to make your head spin from the dizzying number of versions like
thier Nuvi product line.

Its like pilot poker bragging rights. "Well, I have the 296", "Oh, I
have the 495, read'em and cry!".

-robert
Old March 28th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Mar 28, 11:41 am, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in

Its like pilot poker bragging rights. "Well, I have the 296", "Oh, I
have the 495, read'em and cry!".

The "495" is really a minomer. Considering the features and the lack of
weather, it really should be the "395" but I guess "495" would sell more.

Garmin Gpsmap 96 chris Piloting 5 February 9th 07 01:05 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 195 Jonathan Goodish Aviation Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 01:00 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 & Sun n Fun Cockpit Colin Piloting 5 April 19th 04 10:26 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 Cockpit Colin Piloting 7 March 23rd 04 01:15 PM
FS: Garmin GPSMAP-196 Aircraft Mechanic in Tampa Aviation Marketplace 3 March 6th 04 03:19 AM