Garmin GPSMAP 495

Old March 28th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:

On Mar 28, 4:22 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
Dan,

I did not know that....

There's a whole nuther world there outside the US gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

No kidding. I'll need to add to the list of languages I speak, I
suppose.

How many are you fluent in?

It was a joke, nitwit.

Dan Mc

www.clickgetasmiliest00pid.com
Old March 28th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 28, 4:52 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:

www.clickgetasmiliest00pid.com

That was certainly illuminating.

Find that link on a LRRP patrol in the 'Nam?

Old March 28th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Larry Dighera wrote:

Do they broadcast European WX?

I don't think they currently offer it to the public. The USAF has a
contract with them to provide inflight WX content to their aircraft from USAF
weather sites.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 28th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:

On Mar 28, 4:52 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:

www.clickgetasmiliest00pid.com

That was certainly illuminating.

Find that link on a LRRP patrol in the 'Nam?

Not one, several, a couple with my pictures right there for you to see,
My Little Trick Pony.
Old March 29th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 28, 6:37 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:

Not one, several, a couple with my pictures right there for you to see,
My Little Trick Pony.

I saw a picture of Rambo -- is that you?

Old April 2nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I've got the 496, and -- apart from the weather and entertainment aspects of
the unit -- I dislike it intensely. It's got a creaky-slow processor, a
tiny, muddy-looking screen, and cost WAY too much.

You might check this out instead:

http://www.aviationsafety.com/fl_190.htm

It's got more features, is cheaper to update, and has a bigger screen. I'm
contemplating saving my pennies for one, but I've got the 496 panel-docked,
so upgrading is going to be costly. If I do get one, I would end up using
the 496 for XM music only, which would make it the most costly entertainment
center ever...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 2nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Apr 2, 10:33 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I've got the 496, and -- apart from the weather and entertainment aspects of
the unit -- I dislike it intensely. It's got a creaky-slow processor, a
tiny, muddy-looking screen, and cost WAY too much.

You must have a defective unit -- the 496 we added to the Bonanzas
last fall is crisp, fast, and far exceeds my expectations.

Dan Mc
Old April 3rd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I've got the 496, and -- apart from the weather and entertainment aspects
of
the unit -- I dislike it intensely. It's got a creaky-slow processor, a
tiny, muddy-looking screen, and cost WAY too much.

You must have a defective unit -- the 496 we added to the Bonanzas
last fall is crisp, fast, and far exceeds my expectations.

No, you've just never flown with an AvMap. After you've had that unit on
board, with its brilliant, huge, full-color, portrait-oriented screen, a 496
is pretty primitive. Crude, in fact.

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, AvMap has not pursued XM weather -- so
it's a non-starter nowadays.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I've got the 496, and -- apart from the weather and entertainment
aspects of
the unit -- I dislike it intensely. It's got a creaky-slow
processor, a tiny, muddy-looking screen, and cost WAY too much.

You must have a defective unit -- the 496 we added to the Bonanzas
last fall is crisp, fast, and far exceeds my expectations.

No, you've just never flown with an AvMap. After you've had that unit
on board, with its brilliant, huge, full-color, portrait-oriented
screen, a 496 is pretty primitive. Crude, in fact.

Much like your thought processes.

Bertie
Old April 11th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

In a 182 with XM at FL130 you get it get to about 41W

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
JGalban,

Because the XM satellites are parked above the western hemisphere. You
can't see them from Europe.

And what's mo The frequencies used by XM are allocated for SAR use in
Europe.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Garmin Gpsmap 96 chris Piloting 5 February 9th 07 01:05 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 195 Jonathan Goodish Aviation Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 01:00 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 & Sun n Fun Cockpit Colin Piloting 5 April 19th 04 10:26 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 Cockpit Colin Piloting 7 March 23rd 04 01:15 PM
FS: Garmin GPSMAP-196 Aircraft Mechanic in Tampa Aviation Marketplace 3 March 6th 04 03:19 AM