Which PDA ?

Old May 8th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Which PDA ?

Paul,

I upgraded my hx4705 to WM 6.1 and it works great.

~ted/2NO
Old May 8th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 8 May, 17:50, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Richard,

I'm surprised an interested to see that you recommend Windows CE 6.0 for the
iPAQ hx4700. *My iPAQ 4700 is still running Mobile 2003. *Most iPAQ hx4700
units shipped with that operating system. *I upgraded it to Mobile 5 and it
was much, much slower. *So I "downgraded" it back to Mobile 2003. *Since
then I have purchased an iPAQ 210 with Mobile 6. *It has a processor of the
same speed and seems to be about the same speed or slightly slower than my
iPAQ 4700. That leads me to believe that Mobile 6 is not an upgrade I want
to do on my hx4700. *But that is a subjective speed estimation. *Have you
compared 2 hx4700 units (one with Mobile 2003 and one with Mobile 6) running
side by side? *I may upgrade to Mobile 6 is you say it is significantly
faster. *I'm curious.

Do you recommend Windows Mobile 6 or 6.1?

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Paul,

I have 2 X 4700s running SeeYou Mobile and GN11. One is running WM6
and the other Mobile 2003. I experimented with running them side by
side with simultaneous inputs etc and can find no difference at all in
speed.

A very negative feature of WM6 for me is that it has no Backup/Restore
facility which took me by surprise but I avoid flat battery data loss
by running as much as possible off the cards.

Some 4700 owners report hang ups on See You Mobile and WM6 seems to
fix that.

John Galloway

Old May 8th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 8, 12:28*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
brianDG303 wrote:
Something I've noticed is that the screens can be hard to read in
bright sunlight with dark gray sunglasses and much easier with those
amber sunglasses.

I use "aviation" sunglasses that have an untinted bottom quarter, which
improves the visibility of the PDA a lot. While they aren't prescription
glasses, they do have a "bifocal" portion at the bottom that lets me
focus perfectly on the PDA.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Eric,

What brand and model are your sunglasses?
Old May 8th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

The is a very inexpensive program called Sprite Backup Lite that is the
program that was provided for free with older iPAQs. I use it on newer
iPAQs that don't come with the "iPAQ Backup" utility. It sells for $19.95
and is available he
http://www.spritesoftware.com/store/...roducts_id=192

I always backup the PDA to the memory card after I install the soaring
program and setup the buttons, etc. I often setup PDAs for customers and I
do that for them as well.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old May 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Richard,

Thanks.

It is unclear to me in your statement whether or not 6.1 is faster than
2003. If it is about the same then I think I'll stay with 2003.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

"Richard" wrote in message
On May 8, 9:50 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

"Richard" wrote in message

On May 7, 4:53 pm, Udo wrote:

I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA. Which one? Please make
recomendations.
Udo

Udo,

I have found the Ipaq 47xx is the best without the screen protector
for viewability and full backlight. I also updated the 4700 ROM to
Windows CE 6.0

ROM updates: http://wm6.flyingarizona.net/

Craggy Aero is also developing an instrument. Craggy Ultimate - Screen
Size 6.5 diagonal, sunlight viewable screen, with a backlight
controlled by potentiometer or photo sensor, VGA 680X420 twice the
screen resolution as the ClearNav.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Initial flight test were very favorable, no viewability problems with
direct sunlight.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Paul,

I have tried all the ROMS and tested. I have found that I got no
improvement until I went to 6.0 and or 6.1. Mobile 5 was slower than
PC2003 and 6.0 and/or 6.1 appreared the best.

Richard

Old May 9th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

"Richard" wrote in message

On May 7, 4:53 pm, Udo wrote:

[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

Paul,

I think 6.1 is faster.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 9th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

brianDG303 wrote:
Something I've noticed is that the screens can be hard to read in
bright sunlight with dark gray sunglasses and much easier with those
amber sunglasses.

I use "aviation" sunglasses that have an untinted bottom quarter, which
improves the visibility of the PDA a lot. While they aren't prescription
glasses, they do have a "bifocal" portion at the bottom that lets me
focus perfectly on the PDA.

What brand and model are your sunglasses?

I believe this is where I've ordered a couple pairs (search for R424 at
the site):

http://www.eyesave.com/_pgid_1__index.aspx

I've bought a couple elsewhere to use in my car and motorhome, so I can
see the TomTom gps better, and they all seem the same. Search for
"sunreaders" and you'll find more options. Amazon.com has a lot of
listings, too.

They also make "no-line" sunreaders, but I haven't tried them.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old May 10th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On May 8, 1:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

I just got a BlackJack II phone and noticed this as well, so I
installed this backup softwa http://www.dotfred.net/default.htm

It's free, but there are a lot of options out there if you prefer to
buy something :-)