Updating KLN 94 - Parallels Mac OS X

Old February 10th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Andersen[_2_]

Default Updating KLN 94 - Parallels Mac OS X

Hi

Has anyone been successful in updating a Honeywell Bendix-King KLN 94
(or 89/B) database via "direct cable connection" from the computer to
the KLN94's serial port using an Intel Apple Mac running Windows under
Parallels? The Mac doesn't have a serial port so it is necessary to use
a USB serial adapter.

I'm particularly interested in knowing precisely what USB serial adapter
you used and with which build of Parallels.

I have tried with a Keyspan USA-19HS, both using the Windows XP drivers
and via a socket to the OS X port without success. Honeywell BK list a
Belkin F5U 103 and iConcepts 60446 but neither of these are readily
available here in Australia.

I realise this sounds weird (and maybe too ambitious), but the Honeywell
BK GPS Database Loader is the last remaining problem to be solved before
I ditch my old laptop.

Thanks in advance
Andrew/.
tecsight@bigpondDOTnetDOTau
Old February 10th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle[_1_]

Andrew Andersen wrote:
[...]

never got it to work with the same setup. The problem was Parallels USB
driver translation. They keep claiming it has been fixed.
Old February 11th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Andrew Andersen wrote:
[...]

On a side note, I have a KLN89/B and use a laptop to update the
database. I want to get a new PC and they all come with Vista. I called
BK and the Dataloader is not yet compatible with Vista. Not sure when it
will be.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 12th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle[_1_]

John Smith wrote:
In article ,
Michelle wrote:

never got it to work with the same setup. The problem was Parallels USB
driver translation. They keep claiming it has been fixed.

You can turn it on manually in Parallels.
I was listening to either a Security Now podcast that they mentioned how
to do it, but I cannot remember which episode it was. Look for the
podcasts that discuss virtualization.

grc.com/securitynow.htm

Oooh another security now listener!
Michelle
Old February 13th 08, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Andersen[_2_]

Thanks for the input guys - looks like I'm not the only one..
I'll stick with the old Windows laptop, at least for the plane.
Andrew/.
Old February 14th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RL Anderson

John Smith wrote:
In article ,
Michelle wrote:

John Smith wrote:
In article ,
Michelle wrote:

never got it to work with the same setup. The problem was Parallels USB
driver translation. They keep claiming it has been fixed.
You can turn it on manually in Parallels.
I was listening to either a Security Now podcast that they mentioned how
to do it, but I cannot remember which episode it was. Look for the
podcasts that discuss virtualization.

grc.com/securitynow.htm

Oooh another security now listener!

Yep, since the beginning.
I consider it a free graduate level course in personal computer
operation.

Me Too,

In fact, I get the Tech Guy and TWiT casts as well. It's great content.
If you play around with Google, you can find a site where one can
download The Lab TV shows. In that case, I hope you have a speedy
connection and a large drive.

Regarding Parallels, I think that the episode is SN#59. Take advantage
of the full site search that Steve brought up that can be done in
Google. Might make your search a bit easier.

The casts involving virtualization were #50, #53, #57 and #59.

Enjoy

Rick
Old February 23rd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 11, 12:07*pm, Ross wrote:
Andrew Andersen wrote:
[...]

KSWI- Hide quoted text -

When it comes to USB to Serial adapters it's "Buyer Beware". I
purchased a $20 cable that I couldn't get to work using the updater
program on my HP laptop (no serial port) running Win XP. Called
Honeywell and they say that they have a few "supported" cables that
have been tested. They sent me to Radio Shack for a "supported" cable
that cost $35. I couldn't get that one running either. I ended up
getting an old Dell 266mhz laptop from a buddy that has a serial port
and is running Win XP (and nothing else) and it works great. I traded
him a couple him a couple of broken laptops for that one and it's sole
purpose in life now is updating the database on my 89B.

Paul
C172M - 175HP (or thereabouts with the Power Flow exhaust)
Old December 27th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Andersen

For those interested, here's an update on this issue:

Updating the Honeywell KLN 94 GPS from a MacBook Pro is now working
with both Parallels 4 and VMWare Fusion with Windows XP using a
Keyspan USA-19HS USB-serial adapter.

IOGear USB and Prolific adapters have been tried without success.
(It is POSSIBLE to establish a connection at 9600 using a Prolific
adapter and a serial client utility to map the Windows serial port to
an OS X pipe, but that does not seem able to pass the control code
needed to increase the baud rate. At 9600 the update will take around
2 hours.)

The key to the solution is the updated Windows XP drivers from
Keyspan, version 3.7S. These are obtainable from the Keyspan website.

The credit should go to Tom B. from KWDR, who first solved the mystery
with VMWare Fusion. After he alerted me, I also succeeded with
Parallels 4.

In case this might be useful to anyone, this was my experience:

1. Installed the Keyspan USA-19HS v3.7S drivers on Windows XP SP3 VM
under Parallels v4.0. This is the same driver file as used in Windows
2000. I did not install the OS X drivers, although Tom did in his
tests. I used the Honeywell Bendix King GPS Database Loader version
1.7. If you have tried this before with earlier versions of the
drivers, you will have noticed that the "internal loop back test" in
Keyspan serial assistant, which had previously frequently failed, now
works.

2. Connected to KLN 94 and on first attempt, received error "Ready for
next diskette or data loader not ready" on KLN 94 after existing
database erased. Configuration was: COM 5 (auto assigned), default
Windows initial serial port settings, Com Port Adjustment 0. All
other settings default. My second attempt produced the same error.
For the third attempt, I experimented with values 5 and 10 for Com
Port Adjustment in the GPS Database Loader, but noted that these
precluded the successful switch from 9600 to 115200 baud, so reverted
to a value of 0. At this point, I changed the Mac's OS X System
Preferences for Energy Saver, Power Adapter, to "better performance"
and manually altered the display and computer sleep parameters to
sensible values (20 minutes and 1 hour 20 respectively). Using Device
Manager in Win XP VM, the COM 5 port defaults were set to 9600, 8
bits, 1 stop bit, odd parity and no flow control. Set Parallels to
always connect the Keyspan USA-19HS device to the VM. My purpose here
was to try and eliminate factors that might prevent receipt by GPS
Database Loader of the KLN 94's message that the database erase has
been completed and the transfer can commence.

3. I then started the Keyspan Serial Assistant and restarted the KLN
94 and Honeywell BK GPS Database Loader program.

4. Whilst running GPS Database Loader, I used Keyspan Serial Assistant
monitor to view comms between Mac and KLN 94. Observed nothing
untoward there, but noted longish pauses between changing focus
windows and moving between tabs in Serial Assistant. Nevertheless,
the update completed successfully, although there was no indication on
the GPS Database Loader program window of % status until completion.
The KLN 94 display incremented progress as expected.

5. Set "transmit completion timing advance" to "Faster" in Keyspan
Serial Assistant and then exited that program.

6. Restarted KLN 94 and GPS Database Loader program. Ran the latter
again, but this time without Keyspan Serial Assistant, without any
problems other than, as previously noted, progress indicator on the
GPS Database Loader did not move until the update completed at 100%.
The data transfer appeared to progress more quickly than usual, but I
did not keep timings.

I'm happy enough with the result to continue updating the KLN 94 from
the Mac now. I hope this is some help to other KLN 94 owners in this
situation.

Regards

Andrew/.

tecsightATbigpondDOTnetDOTau

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:02:43 -0500, John Smith wrote:

In article ,
Michelle wrote:

Old December 29th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike

I ran into similar issues with PC based laptops. The update program simply
doesn't like certain (if not most) USB-Comm port adapter/computer
combinations. Honeywell claimed that you had to use certain USB-Comm port
adapters, and I tried the one they recommended with no improvement.

The best solution I found was to use an older laptop with a standard comm
port which has been working flawlessly through many update cycles. I'm
using the latest version of the GPS Database Loader.

"Andrew Andersen" wrote in message
[...]

Michelle wrote:

Old December 29th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Andrew Andersen wrote:
For those interested, here's an update on this issue:

Did you buy the cable or make one?

I recently purchased an airplane with a KLN-94. I'm handy with a
soldering iron and have located the diagram for the DB9- 4 pin 3.5mm
cable. I have a hard time paying $80 for a cable I can make for less
than $10.

If you purchased the cable, is there anything special about it?

Thanks!

updating AirChart IFR charts - PITA for everyone? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 15 February 18th 05 04:58 AM
Updating B-100 Paul M. Cordell Soaring 2 November 12th 04 02:10 AM
Help updating Garmin 195 software Dan White Owning 2 April 2nd 04 07:20 PM