Things to remember in very hot weather

Old July 1st 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell's Butt

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

On Jun 30, 7:11 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
If by "most people" you mean the majority of the people in the world,
you are correct.

If by "most people" you mean the people who live in warm climates
don't fly in hot weather, you are wrong.

I didn't qualify the term, so I mean most people in the world. Someone who
always flies in moderate weather might easily forget the special precautions
that must be taken in extremely hot weather

You like the important of wearing underwear that can absorb butt sweat
without getting sticky or riding up your crack? Max always forgets
that one, the thoughtless *******.

Likewise, someone who flies in a desert climate where icing and rain are
rarely issues might easily forget the special precautions that apply in such
conditions.

I got shaved the other day. Now I'm smooth and soft. Do you shave
your butt?
Old July 1st 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jul 1, 11:11*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
If by "most people" you mean the majority of the people in the world,
you are correct.

If by "most people" you mean the people who live in warm climates
don't fly in hot weather, you are wrong.

I didn't qualify the term, so I mean most people in the world. *Someone who
always flies in moderate weather might easily forget the special precautions
that must be taken in extremely hot weather, which invalidates the assertion
that people (pilots) who don't know the answer to my question should not be
flying.

Likewise, someone who flies in a desert climate where icing and rain are
rarely issues might easily forget the special precautions that apply in such
conditions.

This is mind boggling. It is like dealing with an extra terestrial
who has come to earth, after having watched and assimilated the entire
series of Gilligans Island as his only earthly experience.
But I supose it is a perfectly understandable statement to make in
that context. But no, pilots dont forget special precautions just
because they dont fly in certain conditions, because no matter where
they live the weather varies, enough that a pilot has to understand
the effects of variation whether it is from -20 to +20 or +20 to +
50 C and it is one of the most critically assessed components of their
training, because it can kill you ( well not you , but real pilots)
Density of air ( I and others have already tried to explain that to
you) effects lift and engine performance, the denser the better.
hotter weather generally means less dense , but not always, which is
why we look at combined effect of pressure and temperature, which
gives density. We have tools in our airplanes , ie a thermometer and
an altimeter to guage the density. You could use a thermometer and a
barometer in your apartment if you wanted to calculate the density and
check it vs your Barrons performance chart, but you would have to
believe what the scientific community accepts as fact , that you can
calculate the density in the atmosphere ( even your apartment ) from
the ideal gas law, from pressure and temperature. Density can
have a big effect on take off roll and climb gradient acheivable, thus
the CRITICAL importance of performance ( takeoff and landing )charts,
if you dont want to crash your Barron into obstacles at the end of the
runway. Some aircraft may suffer from overheating on very hot days.
Fuel burn is also a function of density altitude, and this is where
flight manuals come in handy. Pilots also need to understand
conditions that can lead to icing either structural or carburetor,
icing can happen anywhere in the world including desert
environments.

Oh and if you think rain is not an issue in the desert , go an read
about VIRGA.
Terry
PPL Downunder

Old July 1st 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

But no, pilots dont forget special precautions just
because they dont fly in certain conditions, because no matter where
they live the weather varies, enough that a pilot has to understand
the effects of variation whether it is from -20 to +20 or +20 to +
50 C and it is one of the most critically assessed components of their
training, because it can kill you ( well not you , but real pilots)

Yes, they forget, and that's why so many get killed. They forget all sorts of
things; some are important, some aren't.

Oh and if you think rain is not an issue in the desert , go an read
about VIRGA.

I know about virga. But typically the skies in the desert have no clouds at
all, or clouds so small and insignificant that they are hard to even see.
Old July 1st 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
terry writes:

But no, pilots dont forget special precautions just
because they dont fly in certain conditions, because no matter where
they live the weather varies, enough that a pilot has to understand
the effects of variation whether it is from -20 to +20 or +20 to +
50 C and it is one of the most critically assessed components of their
training, because it can kill you ( well not you , but real pilots)

Yes, they forget, and that's why so many get killed. They forget all sorts of
things; some are important, some aren't.

Oh and if you think rain is not an issue in the desert , go an read
about VIRGA.

I know about virga. But typically the skies in the desert have no clouds at
all, or clouds so small and insignificant that they are hard to even see.

Totally and absolutely wrong.

Maybe in a Microsoft simulated desert, but not a real desert.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 1st 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
Michael Ash wrote:

In rec.aviation.student Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
Michael Ash wrote:
Do I correctly understand that you would be happy with monitoring for
symptoms during the flight and making the decision then? I don't want to
do this as the pilot, but only because judgement is one of the first
things to go. For passengers this seems to be entirely reasonable.

For passengers, mostly.

I've done some testing previously, and have determined that up to at
least 11,500' there're no noticeable effects for me. (Modulo fatigue,
recovery from illness, etc.) The initial checks I did with another
pilot, my instructor at the time, and he brought oxygen along.

Over the past several decades, I've been tested for VO2max, and I'm on
the high side of the population. I used to cycle competitively, which
was initially the reason to check, after that just curiousity.

Has to be careful choice of grandparents; I've lived essentially at sea
level for my whole life (California coastal, mostly).

My son smokes; him I'd want to check if we cross the Sierra Nevada or
points east.

Thanks for the additional details, very interesting. It's particularly
interesting that you say you're on the high side of the population and yet
you still seem to come in well below the FAA requirements for passenger
oxygen.

?? Something got scrambled in translation...

If it wasn't clear, I didn't resort to oxygen, we just had it along on
the flight, just in case.

I've never used supplementary oxygen, but the highest density altitude
I've experienced was Mt. Whitney at about 14,500'. It's not exactly
comparable, but it was a one-day up and back hike.

Sorry, thought you were implying that 11,500 was your limit.

I guess this is one case where they don't err heavily on the side of caution.

I think they still do, certainly judging from my altitude-intolerant
friend.

If some people start to suffer at 8,000ft then I'm surprised that the FAA
puts the limit for us non-airline folk at 15,000ft instead of something
closer to 8,000ft.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 1st 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

Michael Ash wrote:

In rec.aviation.student Steve Hix
wrote:
In article ,
Michael Ash wrote:
[...]

Probably a case of making the cutoff somewhere at the beginning of the
tail instead of the end.
Old July 1st 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Pilots are taught about density altitude in their training, and the
POH documents aircraft performance as well. Competent pilots give
consideration to conditions related to their flying all the time.
Freezing rain or embedded thunderstorms would certainly raise the
discomfort level for this pilot more than would temps 100 degrees F.

Oh. I said pilot. Maybe that's the difference.

On Jun 28, 8:56 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
What are the main things I have to give special consideration to when
preparing to fly in very hot weather (43° C)?

Old July 1st 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:11:14 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Most people don't fly in extremely hot weather.

my bloody oath they do you clueless loser.
if you want to fly crosscountry (note here ACTUALLY fly) in day vfr
conditions you need the longest hours of sunlight, which, hellooo,
also coincide with the hottest period of the year.
so you are totally wrong.
most people fly long distances in the hottest weather, however they
dont do it in the heat. they fly up at altitude and make use of
adiabatic cooling.

you are so unbelievably incompetent in your understanding of aviation.
Stealth Pilot

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM