5" PNA Question

Old June 19th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default 5" PNA Question

Anyone have any experience with this unit yet: http://tinyurl.com/358w5vx

seems nice- high res screen, wired serial, only a hundred bucks...

general specs:
CPU: Centrality Atlas IV 533MHZ, 4GB NAND Flash ROM, 128MB SDRAM,
Real-time OS Microsoft WinCE 6.0 pro version, 5.0” TFT 65K colors
touch screen 800*480, Com port COM7, Baud rate 38400

Old June 20th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

sisu1a wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this unit yet: http://tinyurl.com/358w5vx

seems nice- high res screen, wired serial, only a hundred bucks...

general specs:
CPU: Centrality Atlas IV 533MHZ, 4GB NAND Flash ROM, 128MB SDRAM,
Real-time OS Microsoft WinCE 6.0 pro version, 5.0” TFT 65K colors
touch screen 800*480, Com port COM7, Baud rate 38400

Looks like a deal. Here's my concern:
I bought a transceiver on eBay recently for a bargain price.
It was a no-display, voice cue setup.
I sent for the manual - but no way to convert the Chinese
voice cues to English.
Too bad!

Brian W

Old June 28th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Blanchard

I've bought two already, and have them set up with LX800 (XC Soar
fork). They work great. I am buying two more for firends.

I have yet to try to get the serial to work.
Old June 28th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Andrew,

Do you have a receipe for success to get XC Soar to work with the
PNA? Maybe a step-by-step install guide? Thanks.
Old June 28th 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Jun 27, 8:56*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Andrew,

Do you have a receipe for success to get XC Soar to work with the
PNA? *Maybe a step-by-step install guide? *Thanks.

Actually I think Andrew means the LK8000 program that Coolwind is
developing after forking from the XCSoar program.

I just got back from a 9 week (!) trip to China and specifically
looked at several of this type of unit while I was there.

I had the chance to try the 7" version of this unit (also 800x480)
with a recent version of the development beta of LK8000. Worked just
fine after I got the GPS serial selected properly. These units are
running Windows CE version 6 (occasionally 5.5) and the OS is much
more exposed than in most of the units sold in the US. That makes it
much easier to actually switch between using different GPS programs
without doing a reset.

I was also impressed with the screen brightness and clarity. Most of
the units I was testing had the protective film on the screen and it
hindered the visibility a little. I'm sure it would look even better
without the protective film. The one I was looking at also used the
SD Micro version of external memory. Much better and usually much
faster to read and write the data.

I didn't buy one because my experience is that they're cheaper to buy
in the US (made in China, go figure!)

Feel free to ask questions. I'll try to answer from what I learned
while I was there.

Mike
Old June 28th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Jun 27, 10:34*pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

V-22 Osprey "ground effect" question Robert Naval Aviation 6 January 2nd 07 03:44 PM
"Mermaid" question AJ Piloting 1 June 8th 06 11:19 AM
Sport Aircraft Company's "Mermaid" question AJ Piloting 0 May 3rd 06 05:12 PM
Question reg "clean" vs "unclean" ac Frode Berg Piloting 17 November 17th 05 07:41 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM