Sun'n Fun Used to Be the Gathering of the Good Ol' Boys of Flying

Old March 27th 04, 04:50 AM
jls

Default Sun'n Fun Used to Be the Gathering of the Good Ol' Boys of Flying

'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule about
ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer at
$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy it
at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But, hey, you'll get a 5% discount on
your avgas on the way down.

Old March 27th 04, 06:27 AM
D. Grunloh

jls wrote:

'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule about
ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer at
$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy it
at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

Don't know about the fly-ins but drive-in camping is great. You can have
all the beer chests and food you want. Drive your car loaded up with
goodies right to the campsite. There is lots of food on site beside
hamburgers but it's mostly high fat foods not good for you anyway.
I always stock up on dried and fresh fruits and canned goods. Don't
really need it there are many friends cooking in the campground.
Also venders and parties in the campgrounds, fish fry, chili, corn on the cob,

I seldom have to cook much!

--dan grunloh (our camp has the hooch lights)

Old March 27th 04, 01:19 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule
about
ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer

at
$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy

it
at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But, hey, you'll get a 5% discount

on
your avgas on the way down.

Whiner! and the rule about backpacks has been rescinded. Backpacks may,
however, be subject to inspection for security reasons.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old March 27th 04, 01:56 PM
Charlie England

Ed Wischmeyer wrote:

'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule

about

ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer

at

$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy

it

at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But, hey, you'll get a 5% discount

on

your avgas on the way down.

Whiner! and the rule about backpacks has been rescinded. Backpacks may,
however, be subject to inspection for security reasons.

Ed Wischmeyer

If the Founding Fathers hadn't whined (and then acted) we wouldn't have
such a great country.

(If a lot of people hadn't started whining loudly about the backpack
restriction, it would still be in effect.

If we don't whine a lot more, we will continue to lose our freedoms to
move about & maintain our privacy.

Charlie

Old March 27th 04, 01:59 PM
jls

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule

about
ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer

at
$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy

it
at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

A fool and his money are soon parted. But, hey, you'll get a 5%

discount
on
your avgas on the way down.

Whiner!

Now this is the kind of response from a little parasite who's a gutless,
weaselly insider and knows how it all works, including how to turn a ragged
out Cessna into an award-winner. If any of you don't know who Whizzmire
is, you ought to study him a little cause he bears watching. He likes to
appear in photo-ops with EAA bigwigs and he knows how to pull many of the
ropes to advantage himself, including trying to hide what they're doing this
year at Sun'n'Gouge.

and the rule about backpacks has been rescinded. Backpacks may,
however, be subject to inspection for security reasons.

Post your link, Whizzmire. The last time I visited the official website I
clearly read that ice chests and backpacks were PROHIBITED.

Ed Wischmeyer

Old March 27th 04, 02:01 PM
Jay Honeck

'Taint now. Get ready to have your wallet plucked. And that rule about
ice chests and backpacks, that's so you'll not be bringing in your beer at
$5 a sixpack from the supermarket down the street. You'll need to buy it
at $4 per beer and $10 per hamburger on premises.

Have you attended other public events recently? I thought the prices at SNF
were more reasonable than OSH, the food was certainly more diverse and
better, and we were absolutely ecstatic that we could get beer (and even a
margarita!) ON SITE, rather than having to hoof it two miles to the nearest
bar, like we must do in Oshkosh.

And we brought a cooler. Several of 'em, in fact.

Last year was our first Sun N Fun, and we had a great time. We're hoping to
fly in again this year, weather permitting.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:57 PM
Bob Fry

Charlie England writes:

Whiner! and the rule about backpacks has been rescinded. Backpacks
may, however, be subject to inspection for security reasons.
Ed Wischmeyer

If the Founding Fathers hadn't whined (and then acted) we wouldn't
have such a great country.

Amen, brother. The Declaration of Independence: One of the Great
Whines in History, right there with the Magna Carta.
Old March 27th 04, 05:50 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:59:21 -0500, " jls" wrote:

Now this is the kind of response from a little parasite who's a gutless,
weaselly insider and knows how it all works, including how to turn a ragged
out Cessna into an award-winner.

Hmmmm....I would have thought this was a GOOD thing. He also built an RV-4
(Do a Google Groups search on "ARSA Fighter").

If any of you don't know who Whizzmire
is, you ought to study him a little cause he bears watching.

Uggg, Ed is hard enough on the eyes just to glance at, much less
stare at. :-)

He likes to appear in photo-ops with EAA bigwigs...

I know Ed pretty well, and I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him with
any "EAA bigwigs." But he is a member of the EAA Homebuilder's Council, so
his picture has probably appeared in the EAA magazines. Also, he
volunteers as a photographer at Oshkosh, so you certainly might see him
around events where bigwigs are involved.

I've known Ed for a number of years, and we were both members of Chapter
441 here in Seattle. I don't think I've *ever* heard him "drop a name."
The most you ever heard from him along those lines was, "I'll bring it up
at the next Council meeting."

But wait...wait...I think I *do* recall seeing Ed in a photo of EAA
bigwigs. I originally thought it was a lens flare, down at the bottom of
the image, but it could have been sunlight reflecting off the top of Ed's
head! :-)

and he knows how to pull many of the ropes to advantage himself,
including trying to hide what they're doing this year at Sun'n'Gouge.

Why would he do that? AFAIK, he had no connection to the Fly-In, though I
don't doubt that he volunteers there like he does at Oshkosh. With that
experience, he might have a little more insight into the problems and
difficulties of putting on an event this large.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 27th 04, 06:37 PM
jls

news

wrote:

[...]

OK, Ron, so you're both in the same chapter but my experience with him, as
opposed to experience with you, is decidedly negative. He argues
contentiously, like a stickler, without authority ( and most of the time
without good sense) and appears to be a self-interested toady without much
of a moral code. If he's your archetypal ombudsman for EAA, then imho the
organization could do better.

If he has authority or a cite which shows the rule at Sun'n Fun forbidding
backpacks has been rescinded then he should publish a link. He didn't say
ANYTHING about the ban on ice chests. By banning ice chests, that means
they're gouging, pure and simple. And despite your defense of the little
weasel, I say he's toadying. Many of the people hereabouts have discussed
the ban on ice chests and are not attending this year. I'm not either. If
enough people boycott the sonsabitches enough to hurt their pocketbooks and
embarrass them a little, they'll stop that foolishness.

Banning ice chests at Sun'n Fun in the name of security is not for
safety --- it's a gouge.