alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Old May 15th 15, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Dell Streak 5.

Not the Dell Streak 7.

It is only the 5 which uses the transflective display.

On 5/14/2015 4:42 PM, wrote:
Dan or Sean

What model Dell Streak is best for XC soar?

Nick

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 9:24:26 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
On a more serious note, Bob's complaint and Sean's (and others')
rather aggressive responses simply support the notion of "Diff'rent
strokes for diff'rent folks)".

I make no bones that I'm a fan of XCSoar. Maybe iGlide allows task
generation if 3 less keystrokes, but who cares? I've got all day.
Heck, I can even build and declare a task today for a flight
tomorrow. I like XCSoar the best because it's the one I have the
most experience with. My glider came with WinPilot but the former
owner told me about XCSoar and I bought a Mio GPS and gave it a
try. For someone who'd never used a moving map before (military,
airlines, corporate, gliding) it was eye-opening!

The only shortcomings were power and sunlight readability. Then a
friend showed me his Dell Streak 5 and I found I could read it with
the sun shining over my shoulder! This is 5+ year old technology,
folks! Why haven't all the makers of portable devices tried
transflective technology? Anyway, for $100 brand new on eBay and
with free software, why would you want anything else? Seriously,
who needs realtime doppler radar overlays while soaring?

I submit that any one of us can get used to any of these products
and become quite proficient with it. Then, upon having difficulty
operating a new interface, it's easy to claim that the first is
better than the second.

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 15th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:26:31 AM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
here's another bug I filed today.

I don't doubt that you've found a lot of bugs that no one else has found. Most people stay on the well-worn path, and the bugs on those paths are consequently found and removed. Some people like yourself have a habit of using the program more broadly and then they find additional bugs. The other thing that happens is that people fail to notice bugs that they stumble across or they are too lazy to report them.

The grief and character assassination that you've been given here is entirely short sighted and rude. It's not unpatriotic to find bugs. I thank you for your service. If I were an IGlide developer, I'd give you a free copy of the full program to reap the services of a careful tester.

The problem with fixing obscure bugs is that the developers will sometimes introduce more serious bugs for every inoffensive bug that they remove. This is a good justification for not taking the risk of fixing certain bugs. 'If it's not broken too badly, don't try to fix it and make it worse.' Sometimes when a piece of software has a lot bugs, it is better to delete it and start over. Quality is most successfully (and most economically) introduced during the Functional Testing stage. Trying to introduce quality at the System Testing stage is what a lot of managers like to try, to cover up their mismanagement of the initial development process, but it can be like papering over shoddy construction. It can be an attempt to remove the obvious signs of poor quality without removing the underlying poor quality.

The common practice of running more than one flight computer in the cockpit is a good strategy for improving reliability. Putting one of those programs on a cellphone is a practical means to do that.
Old May 15th 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Of course each of us likes what he likes. I have no problem with that.
It's when I hear false information about one thing in the promotion of
another that I offer my opinions.

I keep hearing about "adding a turnpoint IN FLIGHT" so I fired up my
XCSoar simulator. Here's how it went: On course, I decided I wanted to
add a point. I touched that point and an info display popped up, I
touched the "next" arrow and selected "Insert into task". That was it!
Nothing more. How difficult or distracting was that?

Truly I don't care what you or anyone else uses to plan or execute his
flights. I just don't like to see one product unjustly promoted or
disparaged when compared to another. Next thing you know we'll be
hearing that the global climate is changing... Of course it is, as it
has been for the past 4.3 billion or so years!

On 5/14/2015 6:30 PM, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 2:36:27 PM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
The bugs have been submitted to butterfly, and I have better things to do with my time than placate name callers. What you should be asking is for Butterfly to make the bug list public so that you have not only the ones I have submitted but also those submitted by others, and a roadmap of releases when they will be fixed. zendesk, github issues, GetSatisfaction are all platforms where developers can have a transparent dialog with their customers.

So I guess it isn't "riddled with bugs" after all.

Dan, it isn't that you can't do most of the things on XCSoar, given enough time and attention. There are things though, like adding a turn point to the task *in the air* that the extra time and attention is unwanted and sometimes even dangerous. If you are happy with the Dell and XCSoar you are way ahead since the cost is so low. But for me there are better offerings.

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 15th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A really cheap shot. We all had to start humbly before spreading our wings.

On 5/14/2015 11:26 PM, Glidergeek wrote:
Maybe this is why he so mad
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...t=olc&pi=58010

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 15th 15, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

The grief and character assassination that you've been given here is entirely short sighted and rude.

the only person whose character has been assassinated on this thread has been mine. I have a job and a family, and I'm sorry if I would rather spend the time taking my daughter to the park (like I did yesterday afternoon) instead of wading through a few months of email to re-produce a list of bugs that had already been submitted to the manufacturer.

and to the person who tried to shame me by posting my OLC account, that was one of the most childish things I have ever seen in 26 years of using the internet. anyone who would like to make fun of my soaring experience is welcome to read this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...M/glLCoyEoaDEJ

--bob
Old May 15th 15, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Bob,

You started this thread. A thread clearly naming iGlide and slamming iGlide. You stated (paraphrasing) that it was "full of bugs" and had a "terrible UI." So far, you have only proven to have reported one bug and have failed to identify the supposed "many" others you claim to have identified. You also claimed that iGlide acknowledged many of your bugs as well.

You have brought this thread on yourself. You chose to name iGlide as a poor application.

I am fine if you have found bugs. I would like to hear about them. If you do not produce them, YES, I am going to have to call you out on it and say I DONT REALLY BELIEVE YOU.

Again, you said many bugs, you have only shown me ONE (filed...you guessed it...today).

Please provide a complete list of your "MANY" reported iGlide bugs so that your thread has some actual value to the rest of us and does not just look like a "drive by shooting..."

Otherwise, stop crying about the attention that you have brought upon yourself. It goes with the territory. I suggest you grow some thicker skin.

Sean
Old May 15th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Dan if you look at his flights it looks like he had several short flights on one day and several more on the next day. Is it possible this is the bugs Bob is referring to?
My comment was not an attack, it is an obersivation some of the times look to overlap. Bob can't or won't explain, Mr. Fiddler is the one picking on Bob : ) .
Bob grow up.
Old May 16th 15, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 9:44:11 AM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
The grief and character assassination that you've been given here is entirely short sighted and rude.

the only person whose character has been assassinated on this thread has been mine. I have a job and a family, and I'm sorry if I would rather spend the time taking my daughter to the park (like I did yesterday afternoon) instead of wading through a few months of email to re-produce a list of bugs that had already been submitted to the manufacturer.

and to the person who tried to shame me by posting my OLC account, that was one of the most childish things I have ever seen in 26 years of using the internet. anyone who would like to make fun of my soaring experience is welcome to read this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...M/glLCoyEoaDEJ

--bob

Quote= "The grief and character assassination that you've been given here is entirely short sighted and rude"
Bob
Don't feel bad. This was not the first time this happened.
The matter of fact this character regularly "character assonates" anyone dear to disagree with him.
I find this kind of behavior not only childish but probably the reflections of a rather narcissistic and insecure person, sign of a real sociopath.
6PK
Old May 16th 15, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Once again, I am thoroughly amused! Thank you!

Again, Bob vigirously attacked iGlide claiming it was essentially awful software. I asked Bob to substantiate that claim and explain his comments (bugs). He failed to do so. In fact he refused even though he also claimed that Butterfly acknowledged several of his "bugs." I summarized this for the thread readers and have (along with others) defended iGlide from a clearly unsubstantiated and baseless attack. This threads author clearly provided us all with "a work of utter fiction" at best. At worst...

Now I have some other clown calling me a sociopath? I see that as pure victory. :-)

Obviously, I have struck the "proper" nerve with simple, clear and fact based responses to Bob's highly questionable statements about iGlide.

The fact is that iGlide is not "riddled" with bugs at all. It's among the very best soaring navigation applications available for any platform.

End of discussion. Moving on.
Old May 16th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My own iGlide experience came about from being an eeejit. I left my Oudie 3 at home (a country different to my gliding location/s) and wanted a cheap stand-in to use in a club glider for a 500km task. For me, iGlide worked really well. It logged the entire flight, uploaded to OLC directly as well as emailing the file in both .igc and .kml formats to myself. It also synced with the iPad version via Dropbox. The iPhone was held in a suction mount in vertical orientation and was always readable, no washout in the sun. I use an iPhone 5 and the screen could do with being a little bigger (# of nav boxes are limited). An iPad mini would be too big unless panel mounted.. An iPhone 6 would be better and a 6+ great. UI is intuitive and easy to use. I used it without the local TP's because unlike maps and airspace, they can only be loaded via iTunes and I was without my laptop too. Task creation isn't difficult, you can choose your type of OZ and there are some great rubber banding options for modification (like Oz Runways, ForeFlight Mobile, etc). Overall, a good product! It certainly saved me from 'map and compassing' my way around!

I post this from the perspective of a computer literate glider pilot (yes, one of the 12 :P ) and low glider time, high powered time. It was a competitive flight but not a competition (ie. only amongst friends)

CJ - B3

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide jfitch Soaring 39 May 20th 15 01:07 AM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch) Sean Fidler Soaring 29 March 9th 15 03:24 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM