wanted, a tail dolly for a Grob 103 Twin II

Old January 19th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

Default wanted, a tail dolly for a Grob 103 Twin II

My club wants a cuff style tail dolly for a Grob 103A twin II
Scott,
Oklahoma Soaring Assc.
Old January 20th 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Very easily constructed by anyone familiar with fiberglass construction basic tools, and access to a G103.
Old January 21st 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:04:13 AM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
My club wants a cuff style tail dolly for a Grob 103A twin II
Scott,
Oklahoma Soaring Assc.

This may sound like the typical R.A.S. diversion, but... are you sure you want one for a Twin II? By-and-large, they are pretty light on the tail so that they are easily maneuvered on the line or at tiedowns by just two people.

On the other hand, the Twin Astir (the earlier taildragger model) is a real beast and needs a good tail dolly. We have both the conventional cuff version and the one that slips into the built-in "bunghole" in the aft fuselage. There are pros/cons to both.

P3
Old January 21st 20, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 9:04:13 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
My club wants a cuff style tail dolly for a Grob 103A twin II
Scott,
Oklahoma Soaring Assc.

My Club, the Oklahoma Soaring Association has about 20 members, less than half that number are pretty active, most are private owners. On any soaring day, we might have 2 to 4 members present, and the end of the paved active runway is 1/3 mile away. Tail dolly is for using as tow out gear.
We operate a club owned 182 tow plane, grob 103, Schweizer 2-33 and 1-26.
Thanks,
Scott
Old January 21st 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have three G103's in our club and have dollies for all three. Yes, they are, as gliders go, light in the tail. However we have many new pilots who figure the best way to maneuver the glider around a paved taxiway corner is to pull hard. Without the dolly you go through tail wheel tires really fast. If you're the average club pilot, that is an acceptable loss, but if you're the guy replacing the tires it can become a real pain.

Taxiing in a stiff crosswind, best to leave it off.
Old January 23rd 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 9:04:13 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
My club wants a cuff style tail dolly for a Grob 103A twin II
Scott,
Oklahoma Soaring Assc.

thanks all,
ordered an IMI today.
Scott
Old January 23rd 20, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Brian,
with your 3 grobs....tailwheels isn't the only damage done by dragging around with wingtips.

Put a person on the nose to press down with a hand while taxiing. This will lighten/float the tail around the corners. It also prevents overrunning ropes, rolling ahead to strike anything. Better use of two people on the glider than one per wingtip.

This becomes more necessary when you stick a tail dolly on her.

Dragging by a tip for a heading change will eventually require replacement of dragspar fittings and bearings. $$$. On all/any gliders.
You wouldn't want to yank your grandkid by their wrist, knowing what stress that will make on rotator cuffs for later years. Same principle.

Just sharing, not hollering. Meant for the broader audience.

Cindy B