Astir CS ballast weight

Old January 23rd 20, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default Astir CS ballast weight

Does anyone have a photo they can post showing how the ballast weights get installed in the nose of the Astir CS? I just see two holes up there but not exactly sure what’s needed to install weights and how it should be setup
Old January 23rd 20, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

The weights I've seen and used are pie shaped and mount in front of the seat under your legs. There are two posts there for the weight.

Boggs
Old January 23rd 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 7:03:48 AM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
The weights I've seen and used are pie shaped and mount in front of the seat under your legs. There are two posts there for the weight.

Boggs

I think thats for the different variants of the ship. We have a 102 iiib that the weights mount like you mention, but in the Astir CS we have it mounts in the nose. I assume they mount the same way though. There are just two holes up in the nose, not hardware or bolts or anything so im just trying to confirm how they actually mount up there. I would assume just with a bolt through those holes and through the weights with a nut holding them tight
Old January 23rd 20, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Are those holes internally threaded?

Also, I looked at the flight manual for the Astir CS and it only talks
about ballast weight in the seat for lighter pilots.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 23rd 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

It was hard for me to tell if they were threaded or not. I need to have a closer look next time I’m at the glider. I was told that the holes were to add weights. I do not see anything in the manual about adding weights up there, but apparently grob sells them. I guess I’ll try to contact Linder and see what they say
Old January 23rd 20, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juliet11[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 8:58:15 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
Does anyone have a photo they can post showing how the ballast weights get installed in the nose of the Astir CS? I just see two holes up there but not exactly sure what’s needed to install weights and how it should be setup

There were several methods used to add weights.
My ASTIR CS has threaded (metric) holes in the nose and the weights are kidney shaped.
Old January 23rd 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old January 23rd 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Did the bolts go in from the cockpit side or did the go in from where the tow hook is
Old January 24th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juliet11[_2_]

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 3:44:43 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
Did the bolts go in from the cockpit side or did the go in from where the tow hook is

Look up "J11" comp number in the SSA comp numbers and give me a call.
Old January 24th 20, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juliet11[_2_]

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 2:22:12 PM UTC-5, Juliet11 wrote:
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 3:44:43 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
Did the bolts go in from the cockpit side or did the go in from where the tow hook is

Look up "J11" comp number in the SSA comp numbers and give me a call.

Use my cell phone number