Any Glider Pilot Connections with Beale AFB in California

Old September 15th 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Any Glider Pilot Connections with Beale AFB in California

Hi,

This is completely off-topic, but I thought there might be a chance that a glider pilot would have a connection with Beale Air Force Base in California.

My father served in the U.S. Air Force in a missile silo on or near Beale in the early 1960s. We're visiting that area with him this week and would love to see the base, but they said that we could only get onto the base if someone brought us onto the base. There was a museum on the base many years ago, but it is no longer there.

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Old September 16th 19, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Paul,

Every base has a public affairs office. I would bet that if you contacted them, they would make some arrangements for you. It might not be much, but it would get you on the base. Now I'm Navy but I did 4 years on exchange with the Air Force. I put civilians in aircraft when I gave tours.

Rich Owen
Old September 17th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the note. I did call the public affairs office at Beale. They were very nice, but said that the base is no longer open for public visits, but we may be able to get onto the base if we know someone who works there.. We could be brought into the base as guests. But I don't know anyone on the base.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old September 17th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Years back, I needed parts for the oxygen system I was cobbling together
out of military hardware.Â* One of my stops was the Naval Air Station,
Dallas.Â* I was told at the gate that I could not enter unless someone
came to the gate and escorted me.Â* I asked for the base phone book and
turned to "Operations".Â* I called, identified myself and my purpose and
asked if someone would come to the gate and escort me in.

That may not work today, but I did get some of the parts I needed. Then
it was off to Carswell AFB, in Ft. Worth.Â* They had an open gate at the
time, but the Personal Equipment shop was locked.Â* I waited for a pilot
carrying a helmet bag and simply followed him inside.Â* They were very
friendly and completely overhauled my mask,

I don't think I'd risk a trip from MN to CA on that flimsy anecdote,
however...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 16th 19, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 2:30:57 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

This is completely off-topic, but I thought there might be a chance that a glider pilot would have a connection with Beale Air Force Base in California.

My father served in the U.S. Air Force in a missile silo on or near Beale in the early 1960s. We're visiting that area with him this week and would love to see the base, but they said that we could only get onto the base if someone brought us onto the base. There was a museum on the base many years ago, but it is no longer there.

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

There are off-base museums you can visit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beal...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tom
Old September 17th 19, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5:30:57 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

This is completely off-topic, but I thought there might be a chance that a glider pilot would have a connection with Beale Air Force Base in California.

My father served in the U.S. Air Force in a missile silo on or near Beale in the early 1960s. We're visiting that area with him this week and would love to see the base, but they said that we could only get onto the base if someone brought us onto the base. There was a museum on the base many years ago, but it is no longer there.

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

I'll ask in the AM.. I know several of the Cops there.
-G7
Old September 19th 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5:30:57 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Veterans may now shop at the Base/Post Exchange. Does he have some form of veterans ID? This is pretty new, but he could start at the local VA office.

This would give him access to the base on his own merits.

Terry Pitts
Old September 19th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 7:05:10 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5:30:57 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Veterans may now shop at the Base/Post Exchange. Does he have some form of veterans ID? This is pretty new, but he could start at the local VA office.

This would give him access to the base on his own merits.

Terry Pitts

I think the BX/PX privileges are restricted to online only so while you would check, I wouldn't pin your hopes on that avenue.
Old September 19th 19, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5:30:57 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

This is completely off-topic, but I thought there might be a chance that a glider pilot would have a connection with Beale Air Force Base in California.

My father served in the U.S. Air Force in a missile silo on or near Beale in the early 1960s. We're visiting that area with him this week and would love to see the base, but they said that we could only get onto the base if someone brought us onto the base. There was a museum on the base many years ago, but it is no longer there.

Any connections or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Call Williams soaring, Rex had a couple of people there from Beale, I do recall one being one of his tow pilots. This was a couple of years back, but I am sure he can give you some info.