1,000 mile ridge flight 4-05-07

Old April 6th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1,000 mile ridge flight 4-05-07

Just got a email from Tom Knauff.........................

Dale Kramer flew a thousand miles yesterday - the only pilot on the
ridge due to snow showers - but apparently used a too-fast sample rate
on his logger, so it probably will not validate his flight.

KS sent me a email as Dale was flying, and had just made a cell phone
call:::

.. Dale Kremer launched out of Mifflin this morning and towed to where
the ridge bends at Spruce Creek. He just check in (1PM) by cell phone
after making the turn at Knoxville. Should be back in time for
dinner.

Great flight Dale Kramer. Hope we get more details soon.

Thermal tight, Soar.errrrr low and fast, Fly safe...# 711 reporting.

Old April 8th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
QT

Dale's flight is now up on OLC. What an OUTSTANDING performance. Way
to go K1!

Old April 8th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloOne

Thanks guys!

The files concerning my flight can be found at:

http://www.sailplanes.info/K1_1017miles.zip (300 kb)

The igc file is missing the beginning of the flight.

This includes the takeoff, release and about 24 minutes after release.

It is my position (and I believe this position will be upheld under
record review) that the complete flight will be valid from release to
landing.

The towpilot (Butch Thompson) made detailed records of the takeoff and
release location, times and altitudes. I believe it is unlikely that
anyone can be successful with an argument that my flight was not
continuous from release to where the flight file begins. These
missing fixes cover the first 24 minutes after release and the glider
traveled 36 miles in that time. I think that it will be agreed that
it would have been physically impossible to have landed and had a
relaunch in that time period and still have traveled the 36 miles.

This igc file 745_DaleKramer.igc has been modified and you can read
how and why it was modified by opening it in a word processor and
reading the beginning.

The file Apr5tasks.cup is a SeeYou file that you can open that
contains the tasks that the flight fits.

The Hilton Cup triangle for the flight is likely to be 1445.9 km and
will have a 12.5% penalty applied since it was a flat triangle, which
leaves it at 1265km. When the LS8 handicap of .938 is applied, the
flight is worth 1187 points.

It appears that 10 US National records may have been broken, however
only 6 may be allowed due to a rule on how many records a flight may
be applied to.

The flight looks like it broke the following 10 US National records:

Undeclared 3 tp distance of 1017.0 miles (88.18 mph) -- 15m and
Standard class records broken

Declared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- 15m and
Standard class records broken

Undeclared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

Declared 1250 km Out and Return Speed of 84.4 mph (1353.5 km) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

The flight will probably only be counted to break the following 6 US
National records:

Undeclared 3 tp distance of 1017.0 miles (88.18 mph) -- Standard class
record broken

Declared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- 15m class
record broken

Undeclared Out and Return distance of 841 miles (84.4 mph) -- Open
class record broken

Declared 1250 km Out and Return Speed of 84.4 mph (1353.5 km) -- Open,
15m and Standard class records broken

It was fun!

Dale

Old April 8th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

The SeeYou statistics for this flight are mind boggling. The final
phase (out of about 18) was a "straight" glide over 5 hours long
covering 582 miles at 113mph with an L/D of 1005!

Just amazing.

2NO

Old April 8th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

On Apr 8, 3:44 am, "KiloOne" wrote:

The files concerning my flight can be found at:
http://www.sailplanes.info/K1_1017miles.zip (300 kb)

The igc file

Dale,

Congrats from this side of the pond on a great flight!

If this was a Cambridge 10/20/25 recorder, there will also be a binary
CAI file for the flight. As you will be making claims for the flight,
it is important that this file is kept and not binned. If you have
not got it and the flight is still in the recorder, download it again
and make sure that you get the CAI binary. The reason is that the old
Cambridge system only allowed electronic validation of the flight data
with the binary file, not the ASCII format IGC file.

This is worth noting by all owners of legacy Cambridge recorders. It
does not apply to the later Cambridge 300 series or recorders by other
manufacturers, where electronic validation of the integrity of the
flight data is through the IGC file.

It's all in the IGC-approval documents for each of the 34 types of
recorders now IGC-approved. If you fly with a recorder it might be
worth your while to download and read the IGC-approval document for
that recorder, you might find something useful that you didn't know!
Look at the IGC GNSS web pages. End of "commercial" !

Once again, what a marvellous flight! I'm envious, only flew a
couple of hundred k yesterday!

Ian Strachan
Chairman IGC GFA Committee

Old April 8th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloOne

Thanks Ian!

Yes we have both cai files from the loggers and the cai file will be
submitted.

My reason for distributing the modified igc file was so that people
would have a complete picture of the flight including the declared
task.

Dale