1 glider - 11 waterballast trails

Old June 19th 12, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default 1 glider - 11 waterballast trails

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.php?
eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2FQuin_11st ralig.jpg&
width=1024m&height=800m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgColor% 3D
%22%23dddddd%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascrip t
%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5
=21b00ee34c627bb243eebb2518add426

Old June 19th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

This may work better http://tinyurl.com/ccja5so

Don't tell the "chemtrail" conspiracy guys....

Old June 19th 12, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Jun 19, 9:26*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
This may work betterhttp://tinyurl.com/ccja5so

Don't tell the "chemtrail" conspiracy guys....

11 valves to leak, stick, break, adjust, or at least fill with
chapstick and fiddle with?
John Cochrane
Old June 19th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Tuesday, 19 June 2012 08:35:58 UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:26*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
This may work betterhttp://tinyurl.com/ccja5so

Don't tell the "chemtrail" conspiracy guys....

11 valves to leak, stick, break, adjust, or at least fill with
chapstick and fiddle with?
John Cochrane

Dave Nadler has some details in his blog here http://www.nadler.com/public/2012_Mi...12_Minden.html

scroll down a few screens.

I think I will get to Uvalde a few days early and buy up all the Plumbers toilet seal and chapstick. Then try to sell back to folks with the Quintuis and Anatares and make some big bucks!
Old June 19th 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_11_]

I wonder how many fill ports it has? In other words the extent of interconnected ballast tanks.
Old June 19th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I'll give the glider points for looking cool dumping water. Maybe I
could hire them to spray fertilizer on our grass runway!

- John
Old June 19th 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:09:26 PM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
I'll give the glider points for looking cool dumping water. Maybe I
could hire them to spray fertilizer on our grass runway!

- John

i've heard there is a need for heavy airtanker firefighting capabilities out west.
Old June 19th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jun 19, 9:35*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:26*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:

11 valves to leak, stick, break, adjust, or at least fill with
chapstick and fiddle with?
John Cochrane

So, John, does this mean you are going to stick with your 27? :-)

ZS

Old June 20th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:49:16 AM UTC-7, John Galloway wrote:
http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.php?
eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2FQuin_11st ralig.jpg&
width=1024m&height=800m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgColor% 3D
%22%23dddddd%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascrip t
%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5
=21b00ee34c627bb243eebb2518add426

I'll ignore the obnoxious comments below.

Hydraulic pressure is a really big problem.
When a glider spins, ground-loops, etc - lots of pressure !
Prototype ASW-22 was lost in a spin test with water - wing exploded.
Another had wing exploded during ground-loop.
Some systems to alleviate pressure rely on partial air in tank - marginal.
New gliders need extreme amounts of water to get to required high wing loading.
So.... Lots of tanks !

All of which means mechanical linkages (multiple wing panels)
get really unwieldy and impractical.

I designed the new dump system requiring:
- quickly field-removable valves for cleaning debris or replacement,
- very high reliability compared to silly servo-based systems,
- absolute minimal mechanical complexity in wings,
- flush with outer wing surface for minimal drag (without silly dangling mylar)

Valves have operated in a test rig 150,000 cycles without problem.
Try that with your silly servos.

If you pump in pond water a valve can jam with debris, small fish, or large fish.
Enough deposits and you need chapstick.
Or, pull it out and clean or replace it.

Significantly better than the alternatives we believe...

Hope that's clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old June 21st 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:46:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
[...]

PS: Antares 23T has 6 valves per side. An 6th water tank
is possible and required as this glider has no batteries
in wing (like 23E) or fuel tank in wing (like Quintus),
and has reduced weight (sustainer vs. self-launch).

I understand there will be one Antares 23T at Uvalde,
stand by for even better water-dump pictures ;-)