1-26 1000km attempt

Old April 23rd 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default 1-26 1000km attempt

Ron Schwartz was up early this morning, taking off from Blairstown on a 1000km 3 turnpoint attempt. Follow along at http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:356 or SSA Sailplane Tracker!
Old April 23rd 14, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:13:44 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Ron Schwartz was up early this morning, taking off from Blairstown on a 1000km 3 turnpoint attempt. Follow along at http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:356 or SSA Sailplane Tracker!

stuck trying to make the jump at Hawk Mountain
Old April 23rd 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:49:17 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:13:44 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:

Ron Schwartz was up early this morning, taking off from Blairstown on a 1000km 3 turnpoint attempt. Follow along at http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:356 or SSA Sailplane Tracker!

stuck trying to make the jump at Hawk Mountain

What is the meaning of the 2R and 428 lines? Also what are the green and blue lines?
Old April 23rd 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:52:55 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:49:17 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:13:44 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:

Ron Schwartz was up early this morning, taking off from Blairstown on a 1000km 3 turnpoint attempt. Follow along at http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:356 or SSA Sailplane Tracker!

stuck trying to make the jump at Hawk Mountain

What is the meaning of the 2R and 428 lines? Also what are the green and blue lines?

2R is the track of another pilot who was flying earlier. 428 is Ron's track. I think the color difference just depends on which pilot you have selected

Old April 23rd 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:21:24 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
Is there any way to live track the distance easily?

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:56:12 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:52:55 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:49:17 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:13:44 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:

Ron Schwartz was up early this morning, taking off from Blairstown on a 1000km 3 turnpoint attempt. Follow along at http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:356 or SSA Sailplane Tracker!

stuck trying to make the jump at Hawk Mountain

What is the meaning of the 2R and 428 lines? Also what are the green and blue lines?

2R is the track of another pilot who was flying earlier. 428 is Ron's track. I think the color difference just depends on which pilot you have selected

not really except for the distance shown on the tracking page, which is a bit inflated.

Looks like he couldn't make the jump at Hawk Mountain and is headed back towards Blairstown
Old April 23rd 14, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

At Pocono Mountains airport, about 5-10 miles upwind of the ridge, the wind is NW at 18 gusting to 30! Plenty of ridge lift I would guess.
Temp is 44 and it is overcast.
Old April 24th 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:47:58 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
At Pocono Mountains airport, about 5-10 miles upwind of the ridge, the wind is NW at 18 gusting to 30! Plenty of ridge lift I would guess.

Temp is 44 and it is overcast.

The limiting factor in most long distance flights from Blairstown is the Hawk Mountain transition. One has to go from Hawk Mountain upwind to Sharp/Second mountains. Neither of these is an especially good ridge, and the landing option are either a) the unused part of a cemetery (fitting) or b) a couple of reclaimed open-pit coalmines (you might survive, the ship probably wouldn't). While it's certainly doable with low bases and 30kt headwinds in a 40:1 uber-segler, it's no picnic. In a 1-26, it's an even taller order.

Yesterday was just another example of how many factors have to come together for truly long ridge flights. The northeast quadrant of the Appalachians was plagued by overcast conditions until late in the day, even though the winds were pretty close to ideal.

P3
Old April 24th 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown

On these discussion groups and R.A.S in particular I keep seeing “=20”
Can some please explain the meaning?

At 17:02 24 April 2014, Papa3 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:47:58 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
At Pocono Mountains airport, about 5-10 miles upwind of the ridge, the

wi=
nd is NW at 18 gusting to 30! Plenty of ridge lift I would guess.=20
=20

=
couple of reclaimed open-pit coalmines (you might survive, the ship
probabl=
y wouldn't). While it's certainly doable with low bases and 30kt
headwinds=
in a 40:1 uber-segler, it's no picnic. In a 1-26, it's an even taller
or=
der. =20

Yesterday was just another example of how many factors have to come
togethe=
r for truly long ridge flights. The northeast quadrant of the
Appalachians=
was plagued by overcast conditions until late in the day, even though

the
=
winds were pretty close to ideal. =20

P3

1000km in a 1-26 Tony[_5_] Soaring 8 June 29th 12 03:04 PM
Check out Ron Tabery's 1000km WR Soaring 3 August 12th 09 02:41 AM
1000km Soaring Weather coming to NV CA SW U.S. - Fri-Sun 06/23-25 WaltWX Soaring 16 June 29th 06 09:04 AM
1000KM + Soaring conditions - SPECTACULAR - Fri-Mon 06/23 - 26 WaltWX Soaring 1 June 22nd 06 11:14 PM
Narromine FAI 750 Km and 1000KM in Australia Mal Soaring 1 November 2nd 04 04:08 AM