Learning to Soar near Los Angeles

Old July 13th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Roah

Default Learning to Soar near Los Angeles

I live in the Los Angeles area, have a private pilots license and I
want to earn my soaring stamp or whatever it's called. Can anyone
recommend a soaring club? I looked at Great Western Soaring in
Llana, CA. It's a great place to fly, Fred Robinson is a special
person, but I don't think they have enough instructors. I'm also
thinking about clubs at Lake Elsinore.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Roah
SimplyStatic.com
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/markroah
Old July 13th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Jul 13, 1:58*am, Mark Roah wrote:
I live in the Los Angeles area, have a private pilots license and I
want to earn my soaring stamp or whatever it's called. *Can anyone
recommend a soaring club? * I looked at Great Western Soaring in
Llana, CA. *It's a great place to fly, Fred Robinson is a special
person, but I don't think they have enough instructors. * * I'm also
thinking about clubs at Lake Elsinore.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Roah
SimplyStatic.com
LinkedIn Profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/markroah

be sure to look into soaring at Hemet (Sailplane Enterprises).
Great people there and two very active clubs.

Good luck,
Dan
Old July 13th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Jul 13, 6:56 am, Dan wrote:
On Jul 13, 1:58 am, Mark Roah wrote:

I live in the Los Angeles area, have a private pilots license and I
want to earn my soaring stamp or whatever it's called. Can anyone
recommend a soaring club? I looked at Great Western Soaring in
Llana, CA. It's a great place to fly, Fred Robinson is a special
person, but I don't think they have enough instructors. I'm also
thinking about clubs at Lake Elsinore.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Roah
SimplyStatic.com
LinkedIn Profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/markroah

be sure to look into soaring at Hemet (Sailplane Enterprises).
Great people there and two very active clubs.

Good luck,
Dan

There is also Skylark North at Tehachapi, http://www.tehachapi.com/glider/skylark_north.htm
as well as Sky Sailing at Warner Springs, http://www.skysailing.com/ .
Both operations are very professional and friendly. LA is a pretty big
area. What part are you coming from?

-Paul
Old July 13th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_4_]

Join the So. Ca. Douglas Soaring club http://www.netmeister.net/~scdsa/ (
about $300 initial fee, about $55 monthly dues and unlimited use of their
gliders). Get unparalleled, intense instruction from Caracole Soaring at
California City
OR; Join the Antelope Valley Soaring Club http://www.soarav.com/(I think
$300 initiation fee and about $25 monthly dues unlimited use of the
gliders). They are located at Krey Field near the El Mirage area.
Instruction also available. The best club atmosphere, very friendly, good
soaring.
PeterK

Old July 14th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gliderman

"Mark Roah" wrote in message
I live in the Los Angeles area, have a private pilots license and I
want to earn my soaring stamp or whatever it's called. *Can anyone
recommend a soaring club? * I looked at Great Western Soaring in
Llana, CA. *It's a great place to fly, Fred Robinson is a special
person, but I don't think they have enough instructors. * * I'm also
thinking about clubs at Lake Elsinore.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Roah
SimplyStatic.com
LinkedIn Profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/markroah- Hide quoted text -

I'm slightly biased since my father joined the AVSC back in the
fifties, and my brother, sister and I are all members, but my opinion
is that you should definately check out our club. We fly from Krey
Field, just a couple miles south of the historic El Mirage Airport. We
soar the local shealine thermals year round. The tows are about half
the price of most operations. The instructors work for themselves, not
the owner operator, and their fees are so low that you won't believe
it at first. We also have a resident examiner. We're definately not
everybodies cup of tea, but we like it and love to meet new folks, so
come and say hi at least.

Paul Gravance
Old July 14th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Which reminds me... Does anyone knows what happened to Dale Masters
from Great Western?

Richard
CFIG Crystal Soaring 1994-1996

Old July 15th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

Check out the Orange County Soaring Association, which flies at Hemet-Ryan
airport in Hemet. Not that much farther from L.A. than Elsinore. For more
information, check http://www.ocsoaring.org. We currently have four gliders
and six instructors.

Roger Worden

Old July 15th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

At Lake Elsinore Soaring Club you will experience Thermal, Ridge and
Convergence Soaring on a regular basis and on infrequent occasions we
even get some wave out here.

The Club has 2-33's, 1-34, Pilatus and soon a 1-26, plus we are the
least expensive operation in the area.

No FBO here, we own our 2 tow planes and fleet of gliders so when you
join you have use of all the aircraft no charge....except for the tow
of course.

We have a convenient Silver badge route past Hemet out to Banning with
plenty of landout areas near towns and cities.

We have 2 instructors and operate every Satuday and Sunday.

Come check us out.

www.soarelsinore.org

Ray