FAA does about-face on Age 60 issue

Old January 31st 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default FAA does about-face on Age 60 issue

Looks like the feds are getting in step with ICAO and raising pilot
retirement age to 65.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._194342-1.html

Old January 31st 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 31, 6:45 am, "Kingfish" wrote:
Looks like the feds are getting in step with ICAO and raising pilot
retirement age to 65.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._194342-1.html

And I believe the Airline Pilot's Association is still fighting
against it. There are a lot more members who are 30,40 that want the
left seat than 59 year old members who want to keep it. I doubt it
will effect many pilots anyway. There are still a lot of guys taking
early retirement at 58 for the money.

-Robert

Old January 31st 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jan 31, 1:19 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
And I believe the Airline Pilot's Association is still fighting
against it. There are a lot more members who are 30,40 that want the
left seat than 59 year old members who want to keep it. I doubt it
will effect many pilots anyway. There are still a lot of guys taking
early retirement at 58 for the money.

I read ALPA is against it, but the FAA is going ahead with the NPRM
anyway. It's good news for the guys that still want to fly a few more
years. I didn't think airlines were still offering early buyouts?

Old February 3rd 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alice

And I believe the Airline Pilot's Association is still fighting
against it. There are a lot more members who are 30,40 that want the
left seat than 59 year old members who want to keep it.

ALPA is fighting it, but not for this reason.

I doubt it
will effect many pilots anyway. There are still a lot of guys taking
early retirement at 58 for the money.

Where have you been the last few years Robert? There isnt a single
airline left in the US with a defined benifits package exept AMR and
early retirement over there isnt a benifit as far as money is
concerned.

-Robert

Old February 3rd 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alice

On Jan 31, 4:16 pm, "Kingfish" wrote:
On Jan 31, 1:19 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I read ALPA is against it, but the FAA is going ahead with the NPRM
anyway. It's good news for the guys that still want to fly a few more
years.

This is correct.The main motivation behind this is lobbying from the
low cost carriers, or should I say low wage carriers, that dont have a
benifits package.So its not that the guys WANT to fly a few more
years, its that they cant afford to retire.