Things to remember in very hot weather

Old July 4th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

On Jul 4, 6:43*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
No moron, the documents were done in Word format.

Then they were not using just Windows; Windows doesn't include Word. *QED.

The C code is in text format, which can be done with lots of things that
either come with Windows or is a free download.

How do they do unit testing and compilation?

I know of no one running Windows that hasn't downloaded piles of free
stuff.

Me.

You can't even work up the initiative to download free tools.

Serious contracts often require more than just a free download. *You have to
compile and test code. *You may need an entire testbed, which sometimes
requires a dedicated machine.

You can't even lead this horse to water, but he does whine very well.
He's a professional loser.

Where is Darwin when we need him. Oh, wait, Anthony seemingly isn't
interested in propagating his gene set so it's unlikely our kids will
have to put up with his kids.
Old July 4th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:03:43 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Rich Ahrens writes:

I can just imagine what he'd be like in a face-to-face
interview ...

With one exception, every interview I've had has led to an offer.

"thankyou but the door is that way" is not an offer.

the only thing you are expert at is stupidity.
there has never been a market for that.
Old July 4th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 3, 6:03*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Rich Ahrens writes:
I can just imagine what he'd be like in a face-to-face
interview ...

With one exception, every interview I've had has led to an offer.

If that's true, why do you not have a well paying job? Or could it be
you had only one interview?
Old July 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

No moron, the documents were done in Word format.

Then they were not using just Windows; Windows doesn't include Word. QED.

Idiot.

The C code is in text format, which can be done with lots of things that
either come with Windows or is a free download.

How do they do unit testing and compilation?

They don't, the integrator does.

I know of no one running Windows that hasn't downloaded piles of free
stuff.

Me.

That's because you are an idiot.

So you don't have Firefox, Adobe Reader, Flash Player, or anything else?

You can't even work up the initiative to download free tools.

Serious contracts often require more than just a free download. You have to
compile and test code. You may need an entire testbed, which sometimes
requires a dedicated machine.

I would call a half million dollar contract a serious contract.

Have you ever seen a half million dollars?

SOMEONE has to compile and test the code, but it doesn't necessarily
have to be the person that wrote the code.

I can see why you are not in IT and that you know about as much about
IT in the real world as you know about flying in the real world.

In summary:

OP: You can get work as a coder you do at home.

YOU: I probably don't have the infrastructure.

ME: I've paid such coders nearly $100,000 in the last year who's
infrastructure consists of a PC and an Internet connection, so
infrastructure isn't a big deal.

YOU: A bunch of arm waving about downloading free tools which enable
people to make a real living.

The bottom line is that there are people in the world doing coding at
home where the infrastructure expense on top of the PC and Internet
connection is zero and who are making a LOT of money.

The biggest problem I had with these people was that they are so busy
with other work we had to juggle schedules to get things done.

All your arm waving idiotic arguements that free tools don't come
bundled with the PC when delivered are just nonsense excuses for your
failures.

If you weren't such a whining, incompetent loser, and actually had
any IT talent, you could have been one of them and made a big chunk
of the $100,000 for a few months work.

But you will never make any money because you are too busy making
excuses why you can't and engaging in idiotic arguements to justify
your failures.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 5th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Rich Ahrens wrote:
on 7/3/2008 2:55 PM Michael Ash said the following:
These days it's entirely possible to apply for a job and go through
much of the interview process remotely. This is especially true in IT
and especially if you're one of the best in whatever niche you have.

I'm doing a fair amount of interviewing of IT people these days. I would
certainly never hire someone based entirely on international remote
interviews precisely because I might end up with someone with Anthony's
personality. I can just imagine what he'd be like in a face-to-face
interview... Of course, I also expect he'd argue with a prospective
employer in any interview setting, so I doubt he'd get past an initial
screening, either in person or remotely.

Oh sure, I said much of the interview process, not all of it. Although I
did get my current job without ever meeting anyone from the company in
person. But then again, it's a remote work position, so that makes some
sense. I didn't meet my boss until three months after I was hired.

More normally, you'll do some phone screens while they decide if you have
the potential to be worthwhile, and then if you're worth it they'll bring
you on-site for a real interview, at their expense. The point being that
you can get a job and *then* move, rather than taking a giant leap into
the unknown, if your goal is to get out of town.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 5th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
Michael Ash writes:

Apparently it's not the only reason. You said quite directly that your
happiness depends on money and that you have none. Living where you want
is clearly not enough to make you happy.

True, but it leaves me happier than living where I don't want to live, all
else being equal. Money allowed me to move to where I wanted to live.

My whole point is that all else *won't* be equal.

You can further reduce the risk by not moving until you've found a job at
your destination. These days it's entirely possible to apply for a job and
go through much of the interview process remotely. This is especially true
in IT and especially if you're one of the best in whatever niche you have.
If you're not one of the best, maybe you ought to dedicate some of your
time to becoming one.

Nobody will hire from a foreign country when there are plenty of locals.

That's why you need to be good at a niche where there won't be plenty of
locals. If you aren't good at such a niche, become good.

And
I don't want to move to Fargo.

Non sequiter. Never suggested it.

Of course not, but there are plenty of other cities that aren't dumps.

None of them is Paris.

Obvious and therefore pointless to state.

Non sequiter. This analysis would only make sense if the entire goal of
your life is to live in Paris.

Living in a place you like is important. One of the things that people spend
a lot of money on is a place to live.

Being happy is important. Living in a place you like isn't making you
happy. Time to try something else.

Of course it doesn't make sense, because you just made that up. I never
proposed moving to a "dump". Move to a nice city. Yes, they exist. Even in
the US. Even in places where you can find a job.

A nice city is Paris. Many people obviously agree, since the cost of living
is high.

Never disagreed.

Only relevant if your goal is maximizing your time in the city and nothing
else. I have it straight from you that this is not actually the case,
though.

One reason for having money is to be able to live where you want, all the
time. I live where I want all the time, even with no money, because I had the
foresight to move to where I wanted to live when I had the money to do so.

And yet by your own admission you are not happy there, so what purpose
does it really serve? You're less unhappy than you would be if you were an
unsuccessful beggar living in some other city?

I live in Alexandria, Virginia. It's across the river from Washington, DC,
on the Potomac. I'm a short walk from three grocery stores, a movie
theater, the regular kind of theater, a bicycle shop, two post offices, a
whole bunch of good restaurants, and various other shops. I'm a short
bicycle ride away from Alexandria's Old Town, which is a really nice place
to visit, and from various trails and parks. I'm a slightly longer ride
from all the DC monuments and museums, and a lot of other nice commercial
centers in the area. But I'm not actually *in* DC, so I don't have to deal
the crapitude over there. And I own my own place, relatively small, but
still 1000sqft with two bedrooms. I practically live in a park, with lots
of small buildings and trees and open spaces. And I'm only about an
80-minute drive from the gliderport which, while a bit long sometimes, is
really not that bad.

The climate is terrible there.

No worse than Paris.

You are by your own admission not happy, so why is it worthwhile to keep
things as they are?

I'm not trying to keep things as they are, except that I wish to continue
living in Paris. That isn't _everything_.

It's been years, nothing has changed. Nothing is *going* to change unless
you change that.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 5th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 4, 7:13*pm, Michael Ash wrote:
In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:

writes:

An excuse for failure right out of the box; what a surprise.

It's a possibility I've considered in depth many times in the past. *The
infrastructure obstacle is real, unfortunately.

Utter bull****. With a PC and an internet connection you have the means to
obtain everything you need to work a lot of well-paid jobs. There are
scads of good, free developer tools out there just waiting for you to
download and start using them to earn money.

But of course you'd rather have your grievances.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

I think there is ample evidence M Anthony is a loser with no desire to
change that state. His utility here is to post questions that lead to
long and sometimes humorous threads. It's especially fun to read his
posts as a way of gaining insight into a mind with some seemingly
interesting deviations from normal.

He's a standard deviation or two away from normal for many parameters,
but not the ones he's claim, like wisdom, insight or intelligence.

I look often for him to open a new topic, but that'll be delayed
because this one still has legs.

He is fun, isn't he?

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM