New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

Old October 12th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

It's back.... https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate

Hopefully may be time for some folks doing ADS-B Out installs over this winter break to get a rebate. Only applies to 2020 Complaint installs (so not TABS/SIL=1).

And the rules make clear...

Type Aircraft = ‘Fixed wing single engine’ or ‘Glider’; AND
Type Engine = ‘Reciprocating’ OR ‘4 Cycle’ OR ‘2 Cycle’

So only applies to non-jet sustainers and motorgliders.

I'm mostly curious how many folks are willing to deal with all the extra effort for $500.

It's of course a silly way of doing this, I would have much preferred to see a program that targeted all aircraft including gliders, maybe targeting those based or flown around busy traffic areas.
Old October 12th 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:27:09 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
It's back.... https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate

Hopefully may be time for some folks doing ADS-B Out installs over this winter break to get a rebate. Only applies to 2020 Complaint installs (so not TABS/SIL=1).

And the rules make clear...

Type Aircraft = ‘Fixed wing single engine’ or ‘Glider’; AND
Type Engine = ‘Reciprocating’ OR ‘4 Cycle’ OR ‘2 Cycle’

So only applies to non-jet sustainers and motorgliders.

I'm mostly curious how many folks are willing to deal with all the extra effort for $500.

It's of course a silly way of doing this, I would have much preferred to see a program that targeted all aircraft including gliders, maybe targeting those based or flown around busy traffic areas.

To keep up the cheapskate glider pilot stereotype, I'm installing a BMW 4-stroke self-launch kit in the 29 so I can get a $500 rebate on ADS-B.
Jim
Old October 12th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

OK well I goofed there. It applies to non-jet and non-electric motorgliders and sustainers.

Sorry did not mean to leave off the electric. Thanks to Dave Nadler for the correction.

Darryl

Old October 13th 18, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:07:26 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

It also doesn't apply to rotary-powered aircraft like Schleichers. It is easier to say that it DOES apply to piston-powered aircraft, so Solo equipped MGs are covered. Also, the aircraft must have been registered prior to 1/1/16.

Tom
Old October 13th 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0

Darryl

Old October 13th 18, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:55:52 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0

Darryl

One of these?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...-kit-gpma0955/
That's a cheap way to log time...
Old October 13th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 5:45:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:55:52 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0

Darryl

One of these?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...-kit-gpma0955/
That's a cheap way to log time...

That seems like a serious and irresponsible use of the FAA registration system.... the . Eagle 2 is an airplane not a glider :-)

I would love to buy the owner a beer and find out what is going on there.

Old October 13th 18, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Wait a minute!Â* Is this about age or date of registration?Â* I guess I
have to dig back into the documentation...

My Stemme was /_registered_/ in Mexico in 2004, but not in the US until
March of 2016.Â* Does that mean I'm not eligible for the rebate?

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 13th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

This is what the FAA says HERE
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/:

*Find out if you are eligible for a rebate:*

*Eligible aircraft:*U.S.-registered, fixed-wing, single-engine piston
aircraft first registered before January 1, 2016.

As I said before, my glider was first registered in 2004 in Mexico.
/First Registered/.Â* Is their intention to say that aircraft of that age
or newer should have come from the factory with ADS-B Out installed?Â* If
that's the case, I'm golden and the $500 represents about 25% of the
cost of acquisition of the hardware (nothing for the installation).Â* But
knowing bureaucracies, that's not what they mean at all...

Old October 12th 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Interesting update, I believe the old rebate excluded any aircraft with "no electrical system (gliders, Cubs, etc.)".
So, no gliders were included, maybe even motorgliders/self launchers/sustainers.