Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Old May 26th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 11:11:01 UTC-6, JS wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:35:14 AM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Saturday, 26 May 2018 09:16:11 UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:39:44 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Whoa, it takes you 30 minutes for a pit stop, you might as well be towing a tassel of small children

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 5:51:47 AM UTC-7, Scott Manley wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:47:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Manley wrote:
The 2017 Tesla Model X I am leasing is a amazing tow vehicle. Other than the range reduction (about 200 mile max between charges) that is more obvious when driving a vehicle that makes you aware of your energy consumption, its 5500 lb weight, low center of gravity, 550 bhp, all-wheel drive, and 500 ftlb of torque instantly available at all speeds (starting at zero) make it a great tow vehicle for my Cobra 30 ft all-aluminum 15m trailer. If I don't look back, I don't even know its back there.

The 200 hundred mile max between charges is conservative, ensuring 20% of battery capacity on arrival. With Tesla's nation-wide network of fast chargers located 50-150 miles apart along all the interstate highways, long distance travel is not problem, and I can usually be recharged in 30 minutes, about the same amount of time it takes me to rest, stretch, and pee.

'Sorry if this repeats; I was trying to fix a typo.

What about Reno to Ely to Nephi on the loneliest highway in the US?

Tesla charging stations in Nephi next to the JC Mikelson's restaurant on south end of town. So progressive!

Nice, Ron!
Hadn't previously thought of JC Mikelson's as progressive.

The latest vehicle for me works very well, even towing the Duo in the mountains.
32 (US)MPG / 7.35l per 100km average since purchased. But at $30k the GLK250 is my most expensive car.
Jim

lets see give a few parking spots for monthly rent and maybe sell some more burgers? makes sense to me even though I am not a Tesla fan 8-)
Old May 26th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

What about Reno to Ely to Nephi on the loneliest highway in the US?

Nope! Not a single Tesla supercharger site along the loneliest highway in the U.S. between Reno and Nephi.

However, in addition to the superchargers in Reno and Nephi, there are no fewer than 6 Tesla charging sites along Interstate 80 between Reno and Nephi.. While the I-80 route is 77 miles longer, Google Maps estimates the travel time from Reno to Nephi via U.S. 50 (a.k.a., the loneliest highway) to be 8 hr 19 minutes, a whole two minutes less than RNO to U14 via I-80.

Old May 26th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 10:11:01 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

But it is Nephi's worst. They advertise the largest burger it town.
Old May 29th 18, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:17:05 AM UTC+12, Scott Manley wrote:
What about Reno to Ely to Nephi on the loneliest highway in the US?

Nope! Not a single Tesla supercharger site along the loneliest highway in the U.S. between Reno and Nephi.

However, in addition to the superchargers in Reno and Nephi, there are no fewer than 6 Tesla charging sites along Interstate 80 between Reno and Nephi. While the I-80 route is 77 miles longer, Google Maps estimates the travel time from Reno to Nephi via U.S. 50 (a.k.a., the loneliest highway) to be 8 hr 19 minutes, a whole two minutes less than RNO to U14 via I-80.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a charger at Ely!

Tonopah to Nephi is 370 miles. Sadly, that's too much even for the Model S 100D, not even towing. At least officially -- one owner managed to get one 670 miles by driving slowly. Really slowly. Like 30 mph.
Old May 30th 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 3:31:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:17:05 AM UTC+12, Scott Manley wrote:
What about Reno to Ely to Nephi on the loneliest highway in the US?

Nope! Not a single Tesla supercharger site along the loneliest highway in the U.S. between Reno and Nephi.

However, in addition to the superchargers in Reno and Nephi, there are no fewer than 6 Tesla charging sites along Interstate 80 between Reno and Nephi. While the I-80 route is 77 miles longer, Google Maps estimates the travel time from Reno to Nephi via U.S. 50 (a.k.a., the loneliest highway) to be 8 hr 19 minutes, a whole two minutes less than RNO to U14 via I-80.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a charger at Ely!

Tonopah to Nephi is 370 miles. Sadly, that's too much even for the Model S 100D, not even towing. At least officially -- one owner managed to get one 670 miles by driving slowly. Really slowly. Like 30 mph.

You are very likely to become road kill if you drive 30 mph on Nevada highways.

Tom
Old May 30th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Towing across the barren western states in an all electric car.
Some people just like a complicated life.
Old September 10th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:48:11 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
Sorry for jumping in late to this thread ... is a class II hitch sufficient (assuming glider/trailer less than 2,000 lbs? Appreciate any advice. Jim

https://www.autoanything.com/towing/...tch-class.aspx

Many of our club members use Class I.

According to this, a Class II is comfortably ok:

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes

I would not recommend a Class I, even if it technically met the specs (less than 2000 lb and less than 200 lb tongue weight). The reason is the length of the trailer - winds can increase the load seen by the hitch quite substantially.

Tom