Continental O-300 - high time, what to do?

Old November 6th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charlie Gibbs

Default Continental O-300 - high time, what to do?

The O-300 in my 172B is up to 1650 hours (150 to major). But I've
had various problems that in recent years have resulted in annuals
costing $5000 or more - and now my oil consumption is creeping up.
I'm thinking that it might be time to bite the bullet rather than
be (figuratively) nickeled and dimed to death over the next 3 years.

The way I see it there are several options:

1. Wait until the time expires (1800 hours).
2. Get the engine overhauled as is.
3. Upgrade to a different engine (Lycoming O-320 or O-360).

I've talked to someone who's done the O-320 upgrade, and he said
that as nice as it is, the hassle and expense was such that if he
had it to do over again he wouldn't.

After having cylinders refurbished, mags rebuilt, etc. over the
past few years, I'm afraid of what what else might pop up. I had
to replace the cam some time back, and the shop that did it did a
terrible job of putting everything back together, and I've been
chasing oil leaks ever since.

I'm also tired of hearing mechanics grumble about Continental
engines. This doesn't inspire confidence in their work. There
must be someone out there who knows how to work on them.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, horror stories, etc.? I'm based
at Pitt Meadows, B.C. (CYPK), near Vancouver.

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)

Old November 6th 12, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bug Dout

Why not call Aero Sport Power (http://www.aerosportpower.com/), they are
near you I think. They specialize in engines for Experimentals, but can
probably give you some good advice. They have a very good reputation in
the Experimental world of aircraft.
--
The degree of one's emotion varies inversely with one's knowledge of
the facts. The less you know, the hotter you get.
Old November 7th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charlie Gibbs

In article ,
(Bug Dout) writes:

Why not call Aero Sport Power (
http://www.aerosportpower.com/), they
are near you I think. They specialize in engines for Experimentals,
but can probably give you some good advice. They have a very good
reputation in the Experimental world of aircraft.

Thanks. They appear to be connected with Progressive Air in
Kamloops, which is another outfit I'm considering.

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)

High time Bo A36 anyone? Matt Whiting Owning 9 February 8th 08 11:45 PM
High time homebuilts alice Home Built 2 February 17th 07 08:06 AM
First Time Buyer - High Time Turbo Arrow [email protected] Owning 21 July 6th 04 07:30 PM
152 with high time lycoming Dave Owning 1 June 27th 04 06:20 AM
High time airframes.... opinions.. Dave S Owning 9 July 5th 03 06:59 PM