Avier / V2 Dissection & Reinforcing

Old June 19th 13, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default Avier / V2 Dissection & Reinforcing

I've been flying with the Avier / V2 using LK8000 and noticed that the lower right corner of the screen was getting very spongy. It gets lots of use since that's where the "menu" button is. After taking it apart it became apparent why. There is no support behind the bottom edge of the screen and it's particularly bad at the corner that went spongy. I was able to glue a couple 1/4" square balsa support blocks into the back of the frame to provide support. It's much better now and should be fine until the electronics die. No complaints with the function of the Avier, but the build quality isn't up to HP or Garmin standards.

Cheers,
Craig
Old June 19th 13, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:51:31 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
I've been flying with the Avier / V2 using LK8000 and noticed that the lower right corner of the screen was getting very spongy. It gets lots of use since that's where the "menu" button is. After taking it apart it became apparent why. There is no support behind the bottom edge of the screen and it's particularly bad at the corner that went spongy. I was able to glue a couple 1/4" square balsa support blocks into the back of the frame to provide support. It's much better now and should be fine until the electronics die. No complaints with the function of the Avier, but the build quality isn't up to HP or Garmin standards.

Cheers,

Craig

Are you using the display in portrait or landscape mode?
Old June 19th 13, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Landscape, with the power button on the upper left edge.
Old June 19th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44

I did the same with mine several weeks ago. Also had to bond the ON /
Off switch with epoxy as it had only solder holding it on. Small
amount of epoxy solved this issue. The supplier of this product needs
to get this feedback to adopt these improvements. I hope they are
looking at posts about them.

Discus44

Old June 19th 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:05:34 PM UTC-4, Discus 44 wrote:
I did the same with mine several weeks ago. Also had to bond the ON /

Off switch with epoxy as it had only solder holding it on. Small

amount of epoxy solved this issue. The supplier of this product needs

to get this feedback to adopt these improvements. I hope they are

looking at posts about them.

Discus44

Is there a trick to getting the case off without damaging the unit? Anyone take any pics?
Old June 19th 13, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44

There is a trick getting the front faseplate off it requires a
delicate touch to pry this off. I used my fingernail and went around
the outside seam until it popped off. Once this is done then a very
small phillips screwdriver is used to remove four screws. Once these
are removed the frame and back come apart easily. Take great care not
to strain the cable attaching the screen to the circuitboard and take
the necessary precautions with the potential ESD shorting. Be aware
of the power wiring also not to short it. It will make lots of sparks
if you do. It is a LiPo battery and mine is 1750mAh. if memory
serves. On mine the switch had moved to a position where it could not
be switched on, thus having to examine the problem and repair it. The
solder was the only thing holding the switch on. I did notify
Vertica about this. I should have taken pictures but did not.
Actually I have seen some pictures of a unit open showing the Baro
option installed. I do not recall the site where this was displayed.

Discus44