Grading work at Harris Ranch, CA??

Old July 16th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Grading work at Harris Ranch, CA??

When I flew into Harris Ranch today I noticed that they have been
doing extensive grading on both sides of the runway. It makes me
wonder if
a) They are adding a taxiway or widening the runway or
b) Building a bigger parking lot for the semi's that stop and spend
money.

I hope it isn't b.

-Robert

Old July 16th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Robert,

I flew in there a week or so ago and it did look different. I didn't pay
too much attention (various reasons), but I do recall the area where the old
taxiway used to be (between the runway and Hwy 5) appeared to be 'prepared',
lighter brown. Having said that, I didn't see any signs of any taxiway
preperation and it sure didn't seem to be a place that semi's would park. I
cannot see how it makes sense financially to put down a taxiway. Of course,
the land 32, takeoff 14 and backtaxi options might not suit the larger
aircraft and then it might make sense. Thinking about it a little more, it
probably makes more sense to put a new taxiway on the east side of the
runway.

Hilton

oups.com...

Old July 16th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 16, 2:04 am, "Hilton" wrote:
Robert,

I flew in there a week or so ago and it did look different. I didn't pay
too much attention (various reasons), but I do recall the area where the old
taxiway used to be (between the runway and Hwy 5) appeared to be 'prepared',
lighter brown. Having said that, I didn't see any signs of any taxiway
preperation and it sure didn't seem to be a place that semi's would park. I
cannot see how it makes sense financially to put down a taxiway. Of course,
the land 32, takeoff 14 and backtaxi options might not suit the larger
aircraft and then it might make sense. Thinking about it a little more, it
probably makes more sense to put a new taxiway on the east side of the
runway.

Its funny to me that so many people talk about Harris Ranch as a tiny
runway. I've often been asked if its paved! Gees, its a first class
airport with regular King Air traffic. The runway is 2 to 3 times the
required length for most of us. However, I'm not sure why they would
grade both sides of the runway to put in a taxiway. I'm not a
construction guy, maybe this is all just for runoff?

-Robret

Old July 16th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article . com,
Robert M. Gary wrote:

Its funny to me that so many people talk about Harris Ranch as a tiny
runway. I've often been asked if its paved! Gees, its a first class
airport with regular King Air traffic. The runway is 2 to 3 times the
required length for most of us. However, I'm not sure why they would
grade both sides of the runway to put in a taxiway. I'm not a
construction guy, maybe this is all just for runoff?

I think the issue most people have with Harris Ranch is the width.
If you look at the comments on AirNav, just about every one mentions
how narrow it is.

I've never seen a King Air in there, that would be fun to see.
There are few based at PAO, and seeing them use most of the 2400ft
is exciting to watch.

Maybe they're going to widen the runway and put in a taxiway?

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old July 16th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Robert wrote:

Its funny to me that so many people talk about Harris Ranch as a tiny
runway. I've often been asked if its paved! Gees, its a first class
airport with regular King Air traffic. The runway is 2 to 3 times the
required length for most of us. However, I'm not sure why they would
grade both sides of the runway to put in a taxiway. I'm not a
construction guy, maybe this is all just for runoff?

Well, when I take a 172 there, my wingtips are off the sides of the runway,
so it is narrow, length isn't a problem at all - assuming you can fly to
Private standards. Actually, on the trip I took there a few days ago was
the first time (I think) that I have ever done a go-around after landing.
There was a strong cross-wind, I got the Arrow down, but just wasn't
comfortable. Second landing was 'perfect'. Landed 14, did a 180 at the
end, and taxied back, a taxiway would have helped. For those King Airs you
mention, I wonder what their turning radius it? Probably pretty small,
crank up one engine and tap the other brake, probably turns on a dime.

Well Robert, I guess it is my responsibility to monitor the situation and
report back.

Hilton (Looking for any reason to get back to Harris Ranch)

Old July 17th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 16, 10:39 am, "Hilton" wrote:
Robert wrote:
[...]

Yea, the winds were 10G15 knots almost across the runway when I was
there on Sunday. I could see that being interesting in a C-172. In the
Mooney I've never really experienced crosswind in the flare. Even
landing at Blythe with 30 knots cross wind I didn't feel any crosswind
once I got into the flare. I'm not sure if its because of the Mooney's
higher landing speed or if its because the wings are so low to the
ground that the wind is disrupted by brush. The flip side is that you
can't drain the fuel tanks without getting some gravel in your knees.

-Robert

Rob Harris [email protected] Soaring 3 May 17th 06 11:00 AM
Rob Harris [email protected] Soaring 0 May 16th 06 06:40 PM
North Island NZ glider pilots, farm/ranch stay advice pls Kizuno Soaring 1 September 22nd 04 01:37 PM
looking for Capella Air ranch near Austin Texas TIm Gilbert Owning 2 July 22nd 04 05:51 AM
3 offspring are suing Yeager in ranch dispute Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 February 20th 04 11:29 PM