Links for new people interested in gliding

Old February 7th 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lucky812[_2_]

Default Links for new people interested in gliding

I have people ask me about gliding all the time. I always send them to the http://www.letsgogliding.com/ site and forward them links for Bruno Vassel or Balleka videos on YouTube.

Does anyone else have any favorite sites that they send people to in order for them to get interested in gliding?
Old February 7th 13, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:56:41 AM UTC-7, Lucky812 wrote:
I have people ask me about gliding all the time. I always send them to the http://www.letsgogliding.com/ site and forward them links for Bruno Vassel or Balleka videos on YouTube.

Does anyone else have any favorite sites that they send people to in order for them to get interested in gliding?

Not a direct answer, but the LGG site could be much better than it is. Anyone with web development skills want to volunteer to make it better?
Old February 8th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:34:09 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
On Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:56:41 AM UTC-7, Lucky812 wrote:

I have people ask me about gliding all the time. I always send them to the http://www.letsgogliding.com/ site and forward them links for Bruno Vassel or Balleka videos on YouTube.

Does anyone else have any favorite sites that they send people to in order for them to get interested in gliding?

Not a direct answer, but the LGG site could be much better than it is. Anyone with web development skills want to volunteer to make it better?

What would you add? It's simply a promo/intro site. A content management system elsewhere to capture the inquiring mind might be useful. But for the first time viewer, the LGG site remains appropriate for its intended audience.

The cardinal rule of web development is to answer the question 'who's your audience?'

Getting people to the web site is more important. Could we redress the images and verbage? Sure. Could we test a different video? Yes. Who's your audience?

Frank Whiteley
Old February 8th 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

I think what could be useful is limited only by ones imagination.

I would particularly like to see the best previous day OLC flight in the US and live-tracking information so newcomers could see what gliders are really doing in the hands of real glider pilots.

That would counter a widely held opinion, particularly among airplane pilots, that gliders just get towed up only to glide back down. Many consider the assertion gliders can go XC to be untrue or at least an extremely rare occurrence.

Bill D

Old February 8th 13, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

That would counter a widely held opinion, particularly among airplane pilots, that gliders just get towed up only to glide back down. Many consider the assertion gliders can go XC to be untrue or at least an extremely rare occurrence. Bill D

That pretty much sums it up! We (four members of our club) just gave a presentation of 'What is Soaring' to the local EAA chapter located at the neigboring field. Part of the presentation was a map with concentric circles showing how far away from that airport you could be if you would encounter an engine failure and wanted to arrive at pattern altitude for some of the more popular power planes. They did not believe that we could glide in from more that 15 miles out and still fly a normal pattern. The presentation showed panel shots I took at Parowan with the altimeter at close to 16k ft, the vario at climb while cruising at 70kts. Most of those present had no idea that a glider could fly that high. After the presentation we rigged a SZD55 inside their hangar and again, most could not believe that all controls would couple up automatically. We showed videos of our field activities including aero-tows (ahhh - a Pawnee!!)and winch launches (is that legal??). That winch thing blew them away and several of them still didn't it get even after watching the video as evidenced by the questions like 'how fast does the glider have to be before releasing and then pulling up to 2,000ft?'! The presentation included OLC traces to show how far we can go from SPA - total silence! Most of them don't fly half that distance in their home-builds due to $$$ of AVGAS.
Now - this presentation was given to folks who are somewhat familiar with aviation and I was blown away by how little they knew about our niche of flying. We didn't intend to convert or recruit any of them. Imagine how far one has to scale it back for someone who is completly unfamiliar and new to soaring. As Frank said it: who's your audience.
Could the LGG site be better? I think the contents is good but I would cut out all video scenes showing the pilot with a cannular stuck under his nose! We know that he is not some geriatric dude tethered to an O2 tank while riding an electric scooter through the local supermarket but it may send the wrong message if we are trying to attract the somewhat younger, thrill-seeking crowd. Maybe a few more scenes showing contest grids to indicate that there are more than two or three gliders around and maybe fewer scenes of flying in close proximity to the tarrain which tends to scare the pants off moms and dads who have to decide if they should let their kid(s) enter into that activity.

Uli
Old February 8th 13, 02:39 PM
Lucky812 Lucky812 is offline
Junior Member

I think the letsgogliding.com site does a good job of providing information. I just like to get people excited with cool videos. If we could only get Kate Upton in a glider....

BTW, the Lets Go Gliding youtube channel only has 3 videos, 2500 views, 6 subscribers.
Old February 8th 13, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Yes, we need to to think advertising. Get the tube out of the nose for
a promotional video for God's sake! Also, we need to take a hint from
the advertising biz (who make a rigorous study of what works) and put
good looking, young pilots in the driver's seat.
And as far as your local EAA chapter presentations please don't tell
the geezers that hang gliders are flying 400+ miles and even
paragliders XC 300 miles occasionally!
They won't believe you.

Old February 10th 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, February 8, 2013 9:39:34 AM UTC-5, Lucky812 wrote:
If we could only get Kate Upton in a glider....

That sort of deceptive advertising might backfire.

Sam Deeks' podcast "The Glider Show" is the most honest portrayal of the student gliding experience that I've seen (heard actually). It 'hobby quality' and it does not seem like he is collaborating on the podcast with any 'old hands'. In short, it could be a lot better.

But it is honest and captivating. A newbie can imagine himself in Sam's shoes. It's good to show what an expert pilot with many years experience does in a $60,000 glider in Utah. But there is value in portraying a realistic student experience. I mean 'learning to fly a glider' is an incredibly fun and exciting time in a pilot's career. (Is it the most fun stage? Time will tell.) The student experience is invisible aside from the blurbs in the back of Soaring magazine. That seems like a missed marketing opportunity.

I'd say... portray the learning-to-fly experience honestly. Anyone with a glimmer of initial interest in the sport would say "I can see myself doing that, I'll give it a try." Are there any documentary film makers out there?

Old February 10th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:01:57 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, February 8, 2013 9:39:34 AM UTC-5, Lucky812 wrote:

If we could only get Kate Upton in a glider....

That sort of deceptive advertising might backfire.

Deceptive maybe but it would work - always does.