A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XCSoar / LK8000

Old March 27th 13, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Monday, March 25, 2013 7:16:20 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Mar 25, 10:12*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:37*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:57 PM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:

Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!

I just uploaded XCSoar 6.6_preview1 with that feature to Google Play:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

(Should be visible in an hour or so)

Max, if you guys could implement PowerFlarm Mod S/Mod C traffic that

would be awesome.

Please look at this page under "Non directional Warning Screen:"

http://www.gliderpilot.org/PowerFlarmDisplays

Please look into this. I saw some exchanges on XCSoar forum on this

subject but the thread died. Thank you in advance.

Andrzej

By the way I am asking for it here as there is a ticket for it already

but priority was moved to LOW. Having this feature implemented would

allow many of us to get rid of extra displays polluting our cockpits.

To me this is more important than many other features. I guess there

are many others who think this way.

Andrzej, if you looking for using XCSoar for traffic collision instead of a dedicated display such as butterfly, you will need much more than Mode C/S support. The flarm functionality in XCSoar is mostly for buddy flying and situational awarness, but it was not designed for collision alerts as it does not have such a mode, nor audio alerts. For true and reliable collision alert, you need a dedicated display IMHO.
Having said that, if you would like to see improvement in XCSoar flarm support, you may want to add your comments and feedback to the existing tickets, or create new ones, this may attract more attention from the developers.

Ramy
Old March 27th 13, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:02:11 AM UTC+1, Ramy wrote:
Having said that, if you would like to see improvement in XCSoar flarm support, you may want to add your comments and feedback to the existing tickets, or create new ones, this may attract more attention from the developers.

Agree. Our bug tracker is the way to express wishes: http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket

Posting on RAS may or may not be seen by a XCSoar developer. On the bug tracker, you get feedback by email whenever a developer updates the ticket status, and you can subscribe to existing tickets.

(Ramy: I know your FLARM tickets, but it won't fit in XCSoar 6.6. Some of it needs some more refactoring of the internal FLARM traffic storage.)
Old March 27th 13, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Mar 27, 3:40*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:02:11 AM UTC+1, Ramy wrote:

Agree. Our bug tracker is the way to express wishes:http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket

Posting on RAS may or may not be seen by a XCSoar developer. On the bug tracker, you get feedback by email whenever a developer updates the ticket status, and you can subscribe to existing tickets.

(Ramy: I know your FLARM tickets, but it won't fit in XCSoar 6.6. Some of it needs some more refactoring of the internal FLARM traffic storage.)

Yes, I saw the tickets. They were downgraded to low priority and that
was the reason I posted here as I saw Max reacting to over requests.
Ramy created a couple of tickets and I did not see anyone really
responding to those tickets so I gave up.
Old March 27th 13, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:05:17 PM UTC+1, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Ramy created a couple of tickets and I did not see anyone really
responding to those tickets so I gave up.

Don't give up just yet. XCSoar 6.5 was a major milestone for us: after 4 years of code cleanup, the XCSoar code base is finally "ready". Now we can focus on features, we can start to process all the tickets people have submitted.

Just look at the XCSoar 6.6 changelog (work in progress), these are the features that were implemented after only 3 weeks:

http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/xc.../tree/NEWS.txt
Old April 23rd 13, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Monday, March 11, 2013 6:01:31 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
On Sunday, 10 March 2013 02:11:53 UTC, MNLou wrote:

I am about to make my first foray into the world of soaring software.

I will, most likely, be using a Naviter Oudie Lite hooked up to a Cambridge 302. My focus will be cross country flight (versus contest flying) for the foreseeable future.

I have read reviews and comments about both XCSoar and LK8000. They both appear to be fine products with excellent functionality.

I would be interested in your comments on ease of use (both on the ground and in the air), learning curve / ease of set up, and if one is better suited for cross country flying.

Thanks in advance for your help!

On the choice of hardware, between Oudie 2 and Vertica V2/GliderGuider/WingsandWheels AVier (all the same unit), there are pros and cons. The Oudie 2 uses less battery (probably c 0.2 Ah vs 0.3 Ah, in either case I suggest plugging into the glider fully charged), and has more internal memory and a faster processor which seems to give faster screen redrawing. The Vertica etc has an internal GPS which is more suitable for gliding and so is the device I would recommend if you expect to use the internal GPS rather than always rely on an external GPS source. I bought the GliderGuider to replace my original model Oudie - the GliderGuider was good value in the UK and came with excellent service. I am running SeeYou Mobile on it, which for me makes the things I do often easier than the free programs.

Guys; are the Oudie2 Vertica2/Avier the same physical size ? Are the cables interchangeable? I'm considering to buy the Vertica2 as a backup and as a platform to try other software programs without having to change wiring and cradle. Can't really get a straight answer.
Thanks in advanced. 6PK
Old April 23rd 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

Oudie 2 and the others are extremely close in size, but mount differently in the brackets they come with.

The interface cables are different, mainly because the Vertica/Avier/GliderGuider has 2 serial ports sharing the same 10 pin mini-usb socket, whereas the Oudie uses a 5 pin mini USB socket. The Oudie comes with an appropriate interface cable for most connections, with the others the suppliers offer appropriate cables as extras.

All these units are excellent. The screens really are superb - nothing to choose between them.
Old April 24th 13, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:21:25 PM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Oudie 2 and the others are extremely close in size, but mount differently in the brackets they come with.

The interface cables are different, mainly because the Vertica/Avier/GliderGuider has 2 serial ports sharing the same 10 pin mini-usb socket, whereas the Oudie uses a 5 pin mini USB socket. The Oudie comes with an appropriate interface cable for most connections, with the others the suppliers offer appropriate cables as extras.

All these units are excellent. The screens really are superb - nothing to choose between them.

Thank you very kindly 6PK
Old June 30th 13, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

Having just got into gliding and looking to what software will run, what it offers etc i came across lk8000 and xcsoar, both very good. My first reaction is that two groups of very capable developers have gone separate ways( it doesn't matter why) to develop for the good of glider pilots. Now everyone in life wants different, the world over! Both free, people can download both and sample which they prefer. I personally found lk8000 easier to set up. But haven't used either enough to pick one. As a fixed wing power jock I use skydemon on a mini iPad. I think this suits MY purpose over the others.
With lk8000 and xcsoar you could use both on a tablet pc.
Lets stop the public debate from the developers claiming who has the best! I think it very unprofessional and doesn't affect my judgement as to which I prefer, once I've used both I have no doubt that I will pick one ov er the other.
To the develops, just go out to have in your opinion the best product, don't worry about the competition. The end user will decide on the best. They probably isn't a best as everyone has different ideas on what they require.
Lets all be thankfully that we have a free choice and that people are able to develop software of this complexity and give it away.
From me thanks to both the lk8000 and xcsoar team. Keep up the good work.
Old July 3rd 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

I use a car navigation system, (a Mio Moov, was cheap, like $100 if I recall) and it runs LK8000 great. The display can be a little hard to read in the sun but the new airspace views of LK8000 (both top and side) have been fantastic... our gliderport is underneath the edge of a class B so it's been really helpful to keep track of where I am regarding the airspace above.

Also, clicking through the screens is fast and easy.. the earlier versions of XCSoar (I can't speak for the newest) required clicking tiny little buttons and scroll bars, and thats something that just isn't going to work for me in the cockpit. LK8000 is designed around quick and easy navigation between screens with minimal distraction.. in fact you can identify screens by the sound they make as you switch without looking.

Try both is my advice... read the manuals for both... and watch youtube for examples of how things are done, then test fly them in sim mode or on a simulator.