Shooting at helicopters, any proof? (Katrina)

Old September 5th 05, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:19:31 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote:

If you are a cop in the midst of a disaster, shoot looters.

I think we've educated the police that nothing justifies lethal force.
The cop knows that if he shoots someone, he will probably lose his
job; but if he doesn't shoot, he probably won't.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old September 5th 05, 03:03 PM
Dave S

Well, according to this morning's news, they didn't mind layin down the
law yesterday. The Houston Chronicle reported that a contractor's
vehicle (cant remember if its a truck or boat) under Police escort came
under fire from 8 armed men. The police fired back, killing at least 6.
The contractors were going to work on repairing the levee breaches. The
workers were all ok.

Now, thats a damn good start. Put an end to this lawless bull****. Must
have been some of the officers sent from Texas to help.

Dave

Old September 5th 05, 03:18 PM
Dan Luke

"Hotel 179" wrote:

We got whacked too!.....didn't we Bro. Luke....

Yeah, we did.

Bayou LaBatre (Forest Gump's home town) is pretty well wrecked; about
half of Dauphin Island is *gone*. My favorite restaurant on the
causeway is trashed. Teledyne Continental Motors at BFM is a mess.

It's much worse than Ivan, a big storm that came ashore just a few miles
away. Katrina was 100 miles away. Unbelievable.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 5th 05, 04:13 PM
Doof

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BF412373.2F7AE%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...
On 9/4/05 9:22 PM, in article N5NSe.327457$xm3.173851@attbi_s21, "Jay
Honeck" wrote:

An acquaintance of mine has an interesting theory on what is causing the
chaos of looting, arson, and sniping going on in New Orleans: A fairly
large percentage of the poor population of the N.O. inner city are drug
addicts. With the extensive flooding and hurricane damage, they've all
been
"without" their drugs of choice for quite a few days now -- and they're
all
in withdrawal.

Bull. The N.O. Police initially turned their heads at the looting, and if
some of the pictures I've seen haven't been misinterpreted, even joined
in.
What they did was leave N. O. to the mercy of animals and the law of the
jungle prevailed. The cops dishonored themselves and abandoned their
duties
and their city.

If you are a cop in the midst of a disaster, shoot looters. When you do,
you
keep order, save lives and property.

So if the cops do react properly, then what excuse do we offer for looters?

Old September 5th 05, 06:50 PM

CJ
In my 40+ years of flying aircraft around the world, I've been shot at
a number of times. Yes I knew it when bullets went by that were close.
But, I suspect I've been shot at any number of times and didn't know
about it either because the shooter was way behind me, or shooting
under me. I've been hit at least twice in helicopters while crop
dusting with the bullet holes to prove it.
There are some really stupid people out there who shoot just for the
hell of it without meaning to do damage or not aware of how damaging it
can be. I've also been shot on the ground with the bullet scars to
remind me and I have zero tolerance for anyone who takes a shot at me.
I will shoot to kill without hesitation or remorse.
Those who are shooting in New Orleans are doing so out of pure hatred
and meaness. I sincerely hope that the law enforcement people,
including the federal troops, have the authorization to shoot to kill
anyone who has a firearm and uses it in a threatening manner.
Having seen that the majority of those in the congested area of
survivors are black, and the majority of the troops coming in are
white, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that when whites shoot
black looters or anarchists, the "reverend" jesse jackson will be on
camera screaming of genocide and white racism.
I live not far from New Orleans and have worked in that city on and off
since 1967. This problem was predicted many years ago and the fault for
the current problems stems DIRECTLY from the locals who failed to
follow their own procedures in a timely fashion.
When things start to settle down a little I expect to be flying
helicopter as a relief pilot with the overworked crews and I won't be
surprised to be shot at again by people who are angry at their plight
in life and feel the need to shoot at those who try to help them.
Police, firemen, EMS, troops, helicopters.....
Some really STOOOPID people out there
Ol shy & Bashful

Old September 5th 05, 06:58 PM
Flyingmonk

Well put.

Old September 6th 05, 03:08 AM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:

Bayou LaBatre (Forest Gump's home town) is pretty well wrecked; about
half of Dauphin Island is *gone*.

From the photos I saw, it looked like much more than hald was gone.

George Patterson
Old September 6th 05, 03:11 AM
George Patterson

Cub Driver wrote:

The cop knows that if he shoots someone, he will probably lose his
job; but if he doesn't shoot, he probably won't.

That was certainly the case at first. I thought I read that orders to shoot
looters went out a few days ago, though, and lethal force for the purpose of
defense has always been justified.

George Patterson
Old September 6th 05, 03:34 AM
Dan Luke

"George Patterson" wrote:

Bayou LaBatre (Forest Gump's home town) is pretty well wrecked; about
half of Dauphin Island is *gone*.

From the photos I saw, it looked like much more than hald was gone.

Lengthwise, maybe, but the west end was the skinny part and suffered the
worst erosion. The east end is much more substantial and is still
pretty much intact. The airport, Coast Guard Station, municipal
buildings, etc.are still there.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 7th 05, 12:50 PM
Flyingmonk

Finally, someone's been charged for this.

http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/archive...D8CEVR5O3.html

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone