'58 Complementary Triumph TR3 Motorcar

Old February 4th 04, 12:17 AM
Jim Weir

They bought them from the City of Santa Ynez as surplus when the city bought new
cars. They must have had twenty or thirty of them at one time.

Jim

Don Tuite

-Another random thought or two, starting with California aviation
-history: For many years, the FBO at Santa Ynez had '58 Chevy
-Biscaynes as their rental fleet. Maybe they bought them from a
-Tijuana taxi company.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old February 4th 04, 01:15 AM
Gerry Caron

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message

While Jim is looking for a Triumph, I think your suggestion makes a lot
of sense. 8^)

Sorry... Old age is setting in. 8^)

Try: http://www.triumphtravelers.org/

Gerry

Old February 4th 04, 03:38 PM
David Lesher

There is a book you need: "How to repair your foreign car" by Dick
O'Kane -- it was written in the 1960's and was mostly but not
exclusively about British vehicles.

It had chapter titles such as:

Why, when Britannia rules the waves, can't they make a car
that runs in the rain?

Carburettor is a French word meaning "Leave it alone...."

There were also chapters on what your tool kit should have. The
typical British car's contents were described and derided "The
mallet for knock-off spinners will do you no good when you need a
lug wrench...."

It suggested you take a sunny day and figure out how to jack up the
car & change a tyre then, not not wait for a dark, cold rainstorm.
[Hint: my BiL's Morgan is jacked up from INSIDE the car..]

There was an entire chapter on likely the worst-designed piece of
hardware since the Tacoma Narrows Bridge -- yes, the SU electric
fuel pump.

And every single word is true. Buy it before you get the car.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 4th 04, 06:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"David Lesher" wrote in message ...

There is a book you need: "How to repair your foreign car" by Dick
O'Kane -- it was written in the 1960's and was mostly but not
exclusively about British vehicles.

I was listening to click and clack one day and a woman called in and her
recently licensed son had been offered two used cars as gifts from relatives.
One was an old RangeRover and the other was a non-descript type.

Their suggestion as that owning the Ranger would teach him a valuable
lesson: "Never buy a British car."

Old February 4th 04, 09:34 PM
tongaloa

Don Tuite wrote:

Typically, V8s of the '50s got 12-13 miles to a gallon. Caddys got as
much as 17. Remember the "Mobilegas Economy Run"? 20 mpg was
unheard-of for Detroit iron. Until the Falcon and Corvair. (OK. I'm
slighting the Nash Metropolitan.)

What, no King Midget?

Old February 4th 04, 10:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

For those that want to see the "official" procedure, you can find it at
http://www.britannia.org/mg/garage/d...?ArticleID=004

Man! And I thought I had it bad rebuilding the rear end of my old Ford! They do
this every few weeks?

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 4th 04, 11:09 PM

In rec.aviation.owning G.R. Patterson III wrote:

wrote:

For those that want to see the "official" procedure, you can find it at
http://www.britannia.org/mg/garage/d...?ArticleID=004

Man! And I thought I had it bad rebuilding the rear end of my old Ford! They do
this every few weeks?

Why do you think they call them "sports" cars?

Want to hear what you go through changing the rear axle u-joints on a
Triumph Spitfire, which I was never able to get to last more than about
a year?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.