Why do I Fly? (LONG)

Old September 19th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Why do I Fly? (LONG)

wrote:

This is what drives me crazy about r.a.p. and why I frequently don't
post all that much.

Here is a nice story, well written and which I enjoyed reading.
And then the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to start pouncing
on this or that, obviously loosing the forest for the trees. While
others debate their interpretation of the FAR's (or the CFR part 91,
blah, blah, blah).

Geez, give the guy a break.

I feel bad for recommending that Allen post his story here just after he
did so over in rec.aviation.student a couple of days ago.

BTW, his post got a much nicer reception over there.

--
Peter
Old September 20th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is what drives me crazy about r.a.p. and why I frequently don't
post all that much.

Here is a nice story, well written and which I enjoyed reading.
And then the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to start pouncing
on this or that, obviously loosing the forest for the trees. While
others debate their interpretation of the FAR's (or the CFR part 91,
blah, blah, blah).

"The usual suspects"? One person, made one single comment about the
ambiguity regarding the night currency. A single comment, and Allen took
offense way out of scale with the comment, making two separate regulatory
errors in his follow-up complaint about the comment.

Allen need not have replied to the comment at all, or he could have simply
included his closing statement, but instead he tried to debate a completely
accurate response to his post. If there's mountain-making here, Allen is at
least as guilty as the person who posted the original comment about his
post.

Pete

p.s. It's "losing", not "loosing"

Old September 20th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

obviously loosing the forest for the trees.
p.s. It's "losing", not "loosing"

That's too bad... I was imagining a horde of marauding trees enforcing the FARs.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 20th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

This is what drives me crazy about r.a.p. and why I frequently don't
post all that much.
Here is a nice story, well written and which I enjoyed reading.
And then the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to start pouncing
on this or that, obviously loosing the forest for the trees. While
others debate their interpretation of the FAR's (or the CFR part 91,
blah, blah, blah).
Geez, give the guy a break.

Naw, some of us post things with content knowing we are going to tweek
the bageebers out of the usual suspects. It's rather sporting, really!
Old September 20th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"The usual suspects"? One person, made one single comment about the
ambiguity regarding the night currency. A single comment, and Allen took
offense way out of scale with the comment, making two separate regulatory
errors in his follow-up complaint about the comment.

Actuall Peter, while the post may have came across as taking offense, I
really wasn't taking offense to it. It's just my style of replying /
posting.

Please keep in mind, I didn't make the post to analyze FAR / AIMS, I
posted to share what aviation has done for me this past week.

Allen need not have replied to the comment at all, or he could have simply
included his closing statement, but instead he tried to debate a completely
accurate response to his post. If there's mountain-making here, Allen is at
least as guilty as the person who posted the original comment about his
post.

Yes, I made two regulatory mistakes in my prior posts, which I feel I
handled approapriately and with grace seeing that others corrected me,
and have me look up my mistakes and repost with corrections..

The point of my follow up was to as others said, see the forest through
the trees. Somethings should be taken for what it is, and not disected
in a rediculous way.

There wasn't a question in the post
I didn't post it for comments on FAR compliancy,

I posted to hare a "Kodak moments" in my short aviation career.

To nit pick a post describing one's "human sharing" experience to the
umpteenth degree is rediculous.

Ironically Peter R's observations are spot on for rec.aviation.student.

For as many CFI's and any other aviation alphabet soup credentials that
can be tossed out there in that group, not one nit picked, but took
what my intent of the post was for, and that was to share these special
moments that aviation provides for us.

After all, aviation does exist outside the FAR / AIMS.

Life is short folks!!!! Lets try to get out of the books, look out the
cockpit window and enjoy the magic of flight.

Save the nit picking for the technical questions.

Allen
.....and yes, this is the last I will say on this thread

Old September 20th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
To nit pick a post describing one's "human sharing" experience to the
umpteenth degree is rediculous.

Perhaps it is. But the poster did admit up front he was nit-picking (which
is generally acknowledged to be frivolous by definition), and there was no
need for you to reply at all, never mind in the manner in which you did.

And if you didn't take offense, then I fail to see what the problem is
anyway.

Old September 20th 06, 05:42 AM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
You know, this may come across drippy sweet, but who cares....
Allen
/BEGIN CURMUDGEON

Aww, screw all the nit picking. I care. You told a good story about why we - the few, the foolish, the able - fly. To me it is all about the emotional feedback and only incidentally about the grasp of every regulatory minutia. We must comply with the regulations, but knowing the regulations is not why we fly.

/END CURMUDGEON

V7
Old September 20th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maule Driver

Beautiful story. Thanks for posting it here.

Privileged is the word. Now I need to go out an find some unsuspecting
Eagle, young or old, to go share with.

Thanks!

wrote:
You know, this may come across drippy sweet, but who cares....

Instruement checkride...for real this time (long) Jack Allison Piloting 28 February 28th 06 03:26 AM
Flight test update - long nauga Home Built 1 June 5th 04 03:09 AM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
Helicopter gun at LONG range Tony Williams Naval Aviation 3 August 20th 03 02:14 AM