OLC Requirements - USA

Old December 15th 04, 09:32 PM
Paul Remde

Default OLC Requirements - USA

Hi,

A friend asked me what the minimum requirement is for a flight recording for
use in the US national level and US club level OLC. I had thought that an
IGC approved logger is required, but my friend is convinced that a Garmin
GPS or similar could be used. I really haven't looked into it in the past
because I always fly with an IGC approved logger. What is the lowest cost
option?

The OLC page has the rules which I copied below which clearly state that IGC
approved loggers are required. But it also says that for some national OLCs
the requirements for Flight Recorders are relaxed. I can't seem to find
rules for the US. I thought I submitted a flight for a friend last year who
created a non-approved flight log using Glide Navigator II.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

(OLC-International and regional OLCs)
16.10.2004

GOALS
The goal of the 'aerokurier Online Contest' (OLC) is a timely scoring of
cross-country flights, free from the burden of flight declarations, to allow
an easy and up-to-date comparison of decentralised cross country flights.
The increase of the number of cross-country flights is another goal of the
OLC.

1. Documentation
IGC-approved GNSS Flight Recorders will be used exclusively for
documentation. Motor-gliders will document flight without propulsion by
recording of the Engine Noise Level (ENL). For some national OLCs the
requirements for the Flight Recorders are relaxed. These relaxations are
detailed after these rules.
Official observers are not required.

Old December 16th 04, 12:17 AM
Greg Arnold

Any IGC file will work in the USA, though you will get a "red mark"
(which has no consequence). See:

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...w_approved.php

Old December 16th 04, 01:08 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information. I received an e-mail from an OLC competitor who
said the downside to using a non-IGC approved logger is that the flight
won't get you any points in the International OLC competition (but you will
get points in the regional US and club level competition), and it will
generally be more of a pain to use in practice (he said it, not me).

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde