A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bennie and the Fonzie Trophy

Old March 20th 18, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Bennie and the Fonzie Trophy

A few of old Miami glider pilots are going to make a trophy that will be awarded yearly in memory of two of the gentlemen that made South Florida soaring sites and memories unique and rewarding. A bit about these two guys would have you laughing and saying this must be fun and exciting. I could tell you more Alfonso stories than you can imagine, I few with him daily for years. Made some of the best flights you could imagine, and please trust me in saying that you guys have seen only a portion of the real Alfonso. Alfonso was a special friend, we appreciated his enthusiasm and love of soaring.

Bennie Flowers was a interesting man, flew gliders in the 40's and could make the sailplane rock and roll!Bennie was an Eastern Airlines Captain that retired and loved flying gliders more than anything. Back in the days when there was little activity at Thermal Research you could find Bennie skirting the clouds and enjoying himself more than you could have imagined. Bennie could Fly!
Now we get to the trophy, the trophy will be made from scrap, maybe something that could be found on the roadside. Alfonso always used stuff that most people would throw in the trash. He saved his tapes until the would not stick and made things for the sailplanes that would amaze you. At the same time Bennie would make his compensation flask out of Might Dog dog food cans, and they worked. His Mylar tape bender was mage from a contraption that utilized his wife's old hair dryer. What a guy!
This trophy will be awarded yearly to the individual that adds something special to out sport during the year. it might just be a special flight or something that enhances our sport here in Florida. The trophy will be made from most things that people would throw away, and always be a reminder of the two guys that made soaring so special in Florida.
If any of you have any ideas that we cold ad to the trophy please let us know , the trophy committee is working on this for the first presentation coming up in June. Thanks, Bob
Old March 21st 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:29:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
A few of old Miami glider pilots are going to make a trophy that will be awarded yearly in memory of two of the gentlemen that made South Florida soaring sites and memories unique and rewarding. A bit about these two guys would have you laughing and saying this must be fun and exciting. I could tell you more Alfonso stories than you can imagine, I few with him daily for years. Made some of the best flights you could imagine, and please trust me in saying that you guys have seen only a portion of the real Alfonso. Alfonso was a special friend, we appreciated his enthusiasm and love of soaring..

Bennie Flowers was a interesting man, flew gliders in the 40's and could make the sailplane rock and roll!Bennie was an Eastern Airlines Captain that retired and loved flying gliders more than anything. Back in the days when there was little activity at Thermal Research you could find Bennie skirting the clouds and enjoying himself more than you could have imagined. Bennie could Fly!
Now we get to the trophy, the trophy will be made from scrap, maybe something that could be found on the roadside. Alfonso always used stuff that most people would throw in the trash. He saved his tapes until the would not stick and made things for the sailplanes that would amaze you. At the same time Bennie would make his compensation flask out of Might Dog dog food cans, and they worked. His Mylar tape bender was mage from a contraption that utilized his wife's old hair dryer. What a guy!
This trophy will be awarded yearly to the individual that adds something special to out sport during the year. it might just be a special flight or something that enhances our sport here in Florida. The trophy will be made from most things that people would throw away, and always be a reminder of the two guys that made soaring so special in Florida.
If any of you have any ideas that we cold ad to the trophy please let us know , the trophy committee is working on this for the first presentation coming up in June. Thanks, Bob

Our club has the Rich Roberts Bubblegum and Bailing Wire Award. Might give you some notion of the type of things that could go into a similar trophy (not really, other than the name). The trophy resembles a bust of said craftsman, though not a likeness.
Old March 22nd 18, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Bob:

A few years back Gary Fink and I, after noticing Fonzie's custome of saving wing tape, we started collecing all used wing tape and made a huge tape ball that after about a year we got it signed by most pilots at the Cordele Region V South... and presented it to Fonzie along with a bag of brand new tape... we tought it was something kind of funny, but Fonzie was not really "amused"...

I had the priviledge of purchasing Bennie's Ventus and flew it for a few years, most of the time accompanied by the "Fonz"... I learned so much in those flights...

Bennie was another amazing pilot... I remember one afternoon when Bennie did two consecutive fly by's just to be topped by The Fonz doing three... unreal!

Thanks for doing this, it will definitively keep our friends fresh in our minds!

Best regards
Enrique Mertins
KO

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 6:29:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
A few of old Miami glider pilots are going to make a trophy that will be awarded yearly in memory of two of the gentlemen that made South Florida soaring sites and memories unique and rewarding. A bit about these two guys would have you laughing and saying this must be fun and exciting. I could tell you more Alfonso stories than you can imagine, I few with him daily for years. Made some of the best flights you could imagine, and please trust me in saying that you guys have seen only a portion of the real Alfonso. Alfonso was a special friend, we appreciated his enthusiasm and love of soaring..

Old March 22nd 18, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Hi Bob,
What a wonderful idea!
Burt (currently at the West Palm - Wellington equestrian center.)
Old March 24th 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 6:29:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Enrique, I flew that Ventus many times, I went with Bennie to the Miami port to pick up his new Ventus, that very Ventus that you bought. Bennie took me under his wing when I was a young guy out of college and we flew together almost every day. It wasn't long before Fonzie was joining us to enjoy our daily skirting of the skies. I had the privilege of tooling around with Bennie and Fonzie for years as we had some of the best flights one can imagine. Yes, Fonzie was a great guy. Yes, Bennie was amazing, he and I did an unusual Florida wave flight back in 1983, I still have the article from Soaring. My favorite picture is a photo of Bennie, Fonzie and myself flying in formation Fonzie and I were in our 20's and Bennie was tooling in a LS3A. I made sure that Fonzie JR. saw all the pictures of his dad at the memorial service in Homestead. We certainly had some great times. Bob