SGU 2-22

Old April 11th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SGU 2-22

Joe, Not sure you would fit in the back seat.

The L/D is 18. (If you're lucky.)

The 2-22 is usually known as "The Lead Sled".

Chuck Zabinski

Old April 11th 18, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joe Rizzo

Good to know, thanks. Just possibly looking for something fun for my home airport.
Old April 12th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:00:45 PM UTC-5, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2189

The 2-22 is a simple, basic glider. It has better control harmony than a 2-33 and less performance. But especially when flying alone, it can be a floater. I've had the Wichita Soaring Association 2-22 at 10,400 feet above Sunflower in Kansas and spent a number of nice afternoons in it. If you are interested in just getting into the air and flying locally, it is a very economic way to have fun. It does not penetrate into the wind, but I still managed to have fun in windy Kansas.
Old April 12th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 4/11/2018 2:46 PM, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Good to know, thanks. Just possibly looking for something fun for my home
airport.

"What Tony C. and Neal P. said," regarding 2-22 vs. 2-33 handling. Way back in
the mid-'70s I flew (and soared) flavors of both from both's front/rear seats.
Raw-beginner-me back then thought the 2-22 handled like a sports car compared
to the 2-33 (well, maybe not a *sports* car, but "somewhat crisper/snappier"
than the venerable Dragmaster many still love to bash). The 2-22 was
definitely "not a penetrator!" even with two aboard. That said, the first guy
in the world to exceed 1,000K in a sailplane, bagged his Gold Distance in a
2-22...apparently it's less the ship than the brains in it!

Structurally, built like the proverbial brick poopiehouse; fun to visually
compare their metalwork to (say) a C-150 (and I'm not intending to bash
Cessnas)...C-150 and 2-22 "way back when" both kinda-sorta catering to similar
market segments.

5'9", 135 lb, me found the rear seat "cozy" in both gliders...

"Pilot, know thyself!" is always sage advice, IMO, and (also IMO) in many ways
it'd be hard to NOT have gobs of cheap, safe, low-maintenance-required soaring
fun in a kept-hangared 2-22.

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com