Phoebus A as a first glider

Old April 17th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Phoebus A as a first glider

Hi Steve,
16.5 Diamond was the first "all glass fiber" produced sailplane.........poorly worded entry!
I stand corrected,
JJ
Old April 17th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 8:57:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi Steve,
16.5 Diamond was the first "all glass fiber" produced sailplane.........poorly worded entry!
I stand corrected,
JJ

Lots of entries that aren't quite right. Which side do you have on that Phoebus C wing? Left or right? I have a right that is not too bad. Trailing edge of the left one is torn up from a trailer roll onto its side.

Steve Leonard
Old April 17th 18, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've got a Phoebus right wing, undamaged with :20 flying time (test flight) a large spool of wire broke loose in the ship and crashed into this brand new Phoebi. Right wing is all that survived! Looks like it's an A, because the aileron (missing) goes to within a foot of the wing tip. Could be made into a C by gluing on the tip glove...........don't know if the factory added extra cloth to strengthen the C wing. The Phoebi I've worked on only had 3 layers of 92110 on their skins. Anybody know if the A wing was strengthened to make it a C?
Cheers,
JJ
Old April 19th 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I purchased a C model 2 years ago. Trained in an L23,grob103, transitioned to a grob102 and then started to fly the Phoebus. Brunos site was a huge help plus 3 people in my club that helped guide me and get prepared for flying her. 8mwas lucky that she had been refinished before I purchased her and it was done right. There are things to watch for and pay attention too not unlike other ships. As long as you aren’t well over the 225 mark and over 6’ you should be ok. I was and made it a goal to lose weight and am now under 200.
Shoot me an email if you have more questions.

Kevin
Old April 21st 18, 06:34 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Here ya go, a visual on a decent enough trailer set up. Not in this setup, but the wings are often crisscrossed in the trailer with the Phoebus for some reason, which adds a little bit of monkey business when rigging and de-rigging. Pay particular attention to how the fuselage lives securely in the cradle.
Only the C model had that parachute of course, which is pretty cool... And probably fun to play around with if you're living on grassy fields, wouldn't last too long out in the Wild West.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GY4NmiJc6o

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Foster View Post
What are your thoughts regarding the Phoebus A as a first glider for a low-time pilot who received their training in a 2-33? I have the opportunity to acquire a Phoebus for a very good price from the club that I'm training with, but it has not flown in over 15yrs. No one knows of any obvious problems with it, but no one can say it is OK either. It does not come with a trailer.
Old April 24th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mine derigs with wings on ea side of fuse. It the airstream of glider trailers I guess but it works.
Old April 25th 18, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The wings are often crisscrossed on older glider trailers in general. And they frequently put the wings in tip first so you have to walk the heaviest part of the wing the longest distance. I think the old style trailers were part of a conspiracy involving osteopaths, orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists to ensure a steady of supply of patients. If you get an older ship (first or early second generation glass) you can count yourself very lucky if you get a trailer that has the fuselage go in nose first, the wings root first, left wing on the left, right wing on the right and you don't have to pull everything out to rig over top of the damn trailer tongue. You're really in clover if your trailer allows you to leave the horizontal stabilizer safely in the trailer until the wings are on!

Phoebus c and Mistral C ND Soaring 0 January 21st 15 04:54 PM
Phoebus C glider project available Mike Entwisle[_2_] Soaring 0 September 12th 12 10:40 AM
WTB phoebus A or B rudder shkdriver Soaring 0 March 9th 12 04:46 AM
Phoebus C glider and parts for sale - low prices Gerry Soaring 2 June 26th 09 01:21 PM
Phoebus B AFSax Soaring 2 August 18th 05 08:51 PM