A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Relieving in flight

Old December 21st 17, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Relieving in flight

Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.
Old December 21st 17, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

In my LAK17a, I use Coloplast Conveen Optima condom catheters connected to tubing (via two one way valves) and a 4 liter collection bag behind my seat.. I keep the bag in a waterproof outer bag "just in case)" You need to empty and rinse the bag every flight (obviously).

There are long and short versions of the condom catheters. I find the shorts hold just fine and are much easier to remove.

I'm pretty happy with that set up. It is a bit more convenient to have the tube run outside your glider via an external hole (as it did in my PW-5) but you do end up with a dirty glider and getting urine corrosion on any parts it hits / gets sucked up into.

Lou
Old December 21st 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I like the "overboard" option. There's a few guys I would have liked to "pee" on thermalling below me lol.
Old December 21st 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

whats your experience with cathaters.

The external catheters use an adhesive. Selective manscaping pays off at the end of the day.
Old December 21st 17, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Gees, I dont know if I like that "adhesive" idea.
Old December 21st 17, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:29:42 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Gees, I dont know if I like that "adhesive" idea.

I wouldn't want to use anything but an external catheter plumbed to the outside world, preferably in a system that the urine does not contact the glider. Seems best to install a conduit to push a tube attached to the catheter through, extending it beyond the laminar flow.
Using a "hand-held device" while driving a car is considered bad. It should be at least as bad while flying?
The adhesive is far less sticky than a "band aid".
Jim
Old December 21st 17, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Several options available in addition to the adhesive condom catheters.

1. Inflatable condom catheters. Reusable and non-adhesive.

2. Zip lock bags with adsorbant pads. These work well if you are not needing to urinate on all flights, but want something in case you need one.
Old December 21st 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Non adhesive conveens with a little velcro tie wrap. Dont laugh - Ive been using that for over 30 years with no inflight mishaps - and I re-use the conveens many times. Rinse, hang to dry, dust inside and out with a very small amount of talc and roll up over a tube sized to give just a little stretch. A box of 30 lasts about a decade (I'm on my third). Too much information??
Old December 21st 17, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Ruskin[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 4:01:31 AM UTC, JS wrote:
Seems best to install a conduit to push a tube attached to the catheter through, extending it beyond the laminar flow.

How far out do you need to go for the urine to miss the glider?

Transfix external catheters, with an external tube (from the BGA website for the Brits) work well for me.

Paul
Old December 21st 17, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have the adhesive catheter/overboard system. It works great. The tube exits the fuselage bottom a bit off center. I just put a little rudder in to yaw the ship when necessary. This seems to keep the stream of the bottom. Pour some water through at the end of the day to keep things clean. One consideration is the temperature. You don't want the tube clogged with a frozen block of urine. My solution is a second length of tubing with a quick disconnect. When finished dumping ballast I disconnect the catheter, connect the second tube and blow air through and then re-connect the catheter. I've heard of a t-connector being used for the same purpose. As mentioned in another thread, there seem to be two types of catheters - those that won't stay on and those that won't come off. The second is better. There is a liquid called Detachol that releases the adhesive pretty much instantly. Goo Gone might do the same thing but Detachol is made specifically for this purpose. Check the archives, this topic has been discussed thoroughly in other threads.