Relieving in flight

Old December 21st 17, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Relieving in flight

Coloplast will send you a bag full of samples if you go to their website. I thought for sure that I'd be put on a mailing list, but haven't heard anything more once I placed my sample order last spring.

There is a circumference sizing template to print and cut out as well. Use it! No man will guess the correct size...

Paul A.
Old December 21st 17, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

Hospital urine bag with extended wear external catheter. That way no urine gets on glider, nothing to mess with in flight. One note: extended wear means one day not one season!
Old December 21st 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

External catheter. Trim local hair beforehand or pay the price.
This connects via a quick disconnect to a probe that sticks out the bottom of the fuselage about 8 inches. Probe is 3/8 OD polyflo tubing. This is stiff but somewhat bendable. When not in use, disconnect,pull up, and tuck in one of the available straps(usually a seat belt strap).
A small mylar flap covers the exit hole when probe is not out.
Belly and cockpit stay clean and minimal hyjinks to use.
UH
Old December 21st 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

My old ship had a tube system that exited just ahead of the gear doors. a gentle side slip and flush it with water helped keep the underside of the plane clean... ship side of the tubing had a quick connect clip. Used a disposable external catheter with a quick connect clip on the end of it. Kept another foot long section of clean tubing with a connector to attach and flush system out after use in flight.
New ship doesn't have plumbing installed, use these for now.
http://www.traveljohn.com/products/d...osable-urinal/
Double bag inside gallon zip lock bags as extra security. Can use catheter with short tubing to ensure better accuracy as well with this set up..
Old December 21st 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I recall hearing on the radio several years back someone informing
someone else that he had a yellow icicle extending aft from his rudder.

I use the Coloplast with a urinary drainage bag, too.Â* I just lay it on
the cockpit floor between my knees so I have a short straight tube and
less chance of things getting jammed up.Â* The bag has its own anti
reflux valve so there's no need for the fancy connectors in my setup.Â*
Unfortunately the last time I ordered I was told that they're no longer
in production.Â* I'll be needing another source or product.

On 12/20/2017 8:21 PM, wrote:
I like the "overboard" option. There's a few guys I would have liked to "pee" on thermalling below me lol.

--
Dan, 5J

---

Old December 21st 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Fidel told me that the reason he wears rubber gloves during annuals is
because the gliders with an external relief tube are "Nasty". Translate
that to corrosion of lower rudder hinge, tail wheel axle and bearings,
main landing gear, etc.

On 12/21/2017 2:32 AM, Paul Ruskin wrote:
On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 4:01:31 AM UTC, JS wrote:
Seems best to install a conduit to push a tube attached to the catheter through, extending it beyond the laminar flow.

How far out do you need to go for the urine to miss the glider?

Transfix external catheters, with an external tube (from the BGA website for the Brits) work well for me.

Paul

--
Dan, 5J

---

Old December 21st 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As a flight instructor with several young female students (Yeah! Some more women in soaring maybe!) I'd be a lot more interested in hearing any women pilots address this, because I think the problem for guys is simpler and better understood.

I fly a Discus B, and my solution for it is really simple: I carry an empty plastic Snapple ice-tea bottle, with cap. There's room between the control stick and me, angles work OK.

This doesn't work for me in every glider -- in particular it sure doesn't work in a friend's DG-101 with the parallel stick mechanism that leaves no room to my crotch.

I don't often get close to its usable capacity (which is about half the bottle volume) but the solution for that is either the foresight to carry a second bottle, or with some caution I have learned how to put it out the side vent and get enough fore-arm out so that I can stick the bottle far enough down so that the urine will go cleanly underneath the wing -- I acknowledge that this maneuver is tricky, and needs some practice (perhaps with clean water) before it is reliable, and may not work for everybody in every glider.

If you want to try this maneuver here's the method:

1. speed up to about 60 - 70 . (Slower than this is likely to have urine hitting the wing ... faster may generate enough turbulence in the bottle to extract droplets before you want to.)

I need to release my left shoulder strap to proceed:

2. stick the bottle out through the vent-window open mouth first and angled well forward and up about 60 degrees.

3. Lean so you can get your elbow close to the vent -- that you can do this is easy to test on the ground; if you can't do this, this dump technique won't work cleanly for you.

4. move your hand down as far as you can (so the urine will go under the wing), twist your wrist to point the mouth outboard and then down -- voila .... it's gone.

If the speed and technique are right nothing comes out until you want it to, and it doesn't hit you or the wing.

Old December 21st 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 7:01:55 PM UTC+3, wrote:
As a flight instructor with several young female students (Yeah! Some more women in soaring maybe!) I'd be a lot more interested in hearing any women pilots address this, because I think the problem for guys is simpler and better understood.

There are any number of devices on the market for female athletes, hikers etc etc

https://menstrualcupreviews.net/best...nnels-reviews/

I don't know how hard it is to get a good seal.

I fly a Discus B, and my solution for it is really simple: I carry an empty plastic Snapple ice-tea bottle, with cap. There's room between the control stick and me, angles work OK.

This doesn't work for me in every glider -- in particular it sure doesn't work in a friend's DG-101 with the parallel stick mechanism that leaves no room to my crotch.

Whether this works is also heavily dependent on whether you're a "grow-er" or a "show-er". We grow-ers have a more difficult job, assuming we're not all that excited at the time.
Old December 21st 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

My solution: External catheter. Use a little bit of talcum powder on the .... sensitive area.. first, so it comes off more easily. Connect to last year's camelback bladder, which goes down near your legs. This has two liters of capacity, way more than hospital urine bags. It's hands off, it's simple, no littering the countryside or bags caught on the leading edge, no pee - rust damage on the glider.

John Cochrane
Old December 21st 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I still use quart sized zip lock baggies. If you catch the urge early enough, there is time to pee and NOT fill the bag. Long flights, most of us should pee a few times, more if it gets cold (read up on cold weather dehydration......).
Part clue is, zip the used bag about 90% closed, thus it empties on the way down. Don't need close to a quart of liquid at terminal velocity hitting the ground or anything else.
I like to try and "go" when up on a street, trim to about 60MPH, then hands off the stick while "taking care of business". If I'm doing a ridge run, pee before getting on tree tops, maybe during a gap jump when it's smoother.
I remember a "well known" pilot saying he used to put a finished apple core in the baggies before filling......sorta interesting.

If I get back to more flying long flights, I shall look at an external catheter, most comp ships I fly have a system in place for that.

Note, if you keep bags in the ship, "air test" them for leaks before filling. Stuff in the little side pockets can wear/punch a hole in the bag. Sucks to find a leaking bag due to liquid leaks......
A small hand towel is also nice to clean any spills.

Women pilots....sheesh, adult diapers are likely the easiest because of their "plumbing" and most glass seating positions.