SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

Old February 14th 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

Soaring Friends,

I am very pleased to be working with Matthew Scutter to promote his impressive SkySight soaring weather forecast service.

Buy 12 months of service for $79 and get 2 extra months for FREE.

Works great with SeeYou for PC (current subscriptions to both SkySight and SeeYou for PC required).

Great for planning your cross-country soaring task - for today or several days in advance, or planning wave adventures.

Details: www.cumulus-soaring.com/skysight.htm

A nice overview video is available on that site.

I've been playing with it and I'm very impressed! It is intuitive and powerful.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 14th 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 11:30:51 PM UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
Soaring Friends,

I am very pleased to be working with Matthew Scutter to promote his impressive SkySight soaring weather forecast service.

Buy 12 months of service for $79 and get 2 extra months for FREE.

Works great with SeeYou for PC (current subscriptions to both SkySight and SeeYou for PC required).

Great for planning your cross-country soaring task - for today or several days in advance, or planning wave adventures.

Details: www.cumulus-soaring.com/skysight.htm

A nice overview video is available on that site.

I've been playing with it and I'm very impressed! It is intuitive and powerful.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Best wave/converegence forecasting platform I've worked with.

All the best,
Daniel
Old February 14th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

i have been having trouble getting the forecasts to show up on SeeYou. I upgraded laptops at the last SeeYou update since they, without warning, quit supporting Windows XP. Matt thinks the issue is on their side but it just takes for ev er for the forecasts to load, and it seems i have to load the entire world to get anything. Has anyone else had this issue?

I made really good use of TopMeteo in SeeYou for planning purposes last year. Was looking forward to having both forecasts in SeeYou so that I could have even more doubt and uncertainty before going flying.
Old February 14th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 10:07:11 UTC-7, Tony wrote:
i have been having trouble getting the forecasts to show up on SeeYou. I upgraded laptops at the last SeeYou update since they, without warning, quit supporting Windows XP. Matt thinks the issue is on their side but it just takes for ev er for the forecasts to load, and it seems i have to load the entire world to get anything. Has anyone else had this issue?

I made really good use of TopMeteo in SeeYou for planning purposes last year. Was looking forward to having both forecasts in SeeYou so that I could have even more doubt and uncertainty before going flying.

I have experienced the same issue with slow loading forecasts, clicking on the Skysight icon at startup shows all world wide data loading. Nothing on the Naviter site.
Old February 14th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 9:30:51 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Soaring Friends,

I am very pleased to be working with Matthew Scutter to promote his impressive SkySight soaring weather forecast service.

Buy 12 months of service for $79 and get 2 extra months for FREE.

Works great with SeeYou for PC (current subscriptions to both SkySight and SeeYou for PC required).

Great for planning your cross-country soaring task - for today or several days in advance, or planning wave adventures.

Details: www.cumulus-soaring.com/skysight.htm

A nice overview video is available on that site.

I've been playing with it and I'm very impressed! It is intuitive and powerful.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

For what it is worth, I used SkySight for Moriarty, NM forecasts for all of 2017 and I thought the forecasts were excellent. I've used many weather forecasting services over the years and no weather forecasting system is perfect, but I thought that SkySight was generally very accurate. I also thought the convergence forecasts were very useful (as we often get convergence in central New Mexico) and those "predictions" were the best I had seen!
Thx - Renny
Old February 14th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Does SkySight cover the upper midwest yet?

If not, any plans to do that in the future?

Lou
Old February 14th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Lou,

SkySight doesn't cover the upper-central part of the U.S. yet, but they are working on it. They don't have a firm date, but hope to have it working very soon. They seemed optimistic that it would be working by spring in the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 15th 18, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

SkySight is initiated from the GFS, like most other soaring weather tools. They interpolate points between the relatively coarse-grained native grid points to provide a sense of precision on Google maps. While this looks very nice, I look forward to ECMWF support on a global scale, and HRRR support in the US.
Old February 15th 18, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 16:26:37 UTC+11, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
SkySight is initiated from the GFS, like most other soaring weather tools.. They interpolate points between the relatively coarse-grained native grid points to provide a sense of precision on Google maps. While this looks very nice, I look forward to ECMWF support on a global scale, and HRRR support in the US.

Hello all,

GFS is not our only source of initialisation data - we integrate directly a number of other sources too. To suggest we simply interpolate is a bit too much of a simplification, we run a model ourselves at a higher resolution using that initialisation data. The sense of precision is 'real' Interpolation would not deliver you the results pilots mention above about the quality of our convergence and wave forecasts.

ECMWF, like GFS, has inadequate resolution (amongst other issues) for direct usage for (most) soaring forecasts. We are considering plotting ECMWF and GFS globally for coverage outside the areas we run our own models anyway.

We are actually experimenting with ECMWF as an initialisation source. If it provides measurable improvement we will utilise it for regions where it does so.
As for HRRR, our model is very similar to HRRR and we typically see negligible differences outside of the aspects we have special tuned for soaring. So we don't see much benefit there.

I believe Naviter is working on some improvements to SeeYou's weather downloads. In the meantime I suggest avoiding setting "Download Everything", as there's a lot of data!

For more details, visit us at the SSA convention in Reno! We will have an announcement regarding our Central US coverage there too.

Cheers,
Matthew
Lead Developer @ SkySight
Old February 15th 18, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 05:01:12 UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

In Northern UT the forecasts have been quite accurate. The convergence (wave) predictions are great,

Support from Mathew has top notch, I have had a few questions on how to interpret the data and response has been quick and complete.