Sailplane Grand Prix US Florida 2018

Old March 29th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Sailplane Grand Prix US Florida 2018

I'll put the word out to see if we can muster some volunteers.

Paul A.
Old March 30th 18, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Paul, we could use 1-3 folks on 29-30 April & 1 May in the launching crew. We will train them if needed. After that the kids are out of school.
Best Regards,
Rich
Old March 30th 18, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Everyone,
We flew with the trackers from Fly Event today. Waiting for the comments from those on the ground. I’ll try to send you folks the web address for a link to view these trackers before today’s race.
Cheers,
Rich
ZO
Old March 30th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

It looked like an exciting day today racing against the incoming front. From what I could tell on the SGP.aero tracking page, it looks like there was one very low finish straight in to runway 36. Everyone else was landing 18 after crossing the finish. I hope that gets covered in the post-race interviews.

Where was Rich? Did the Fly Event trackers not show up online today?

Paul A.
Old March 31st 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Looks like he flew today (ZO?). At turnpoint 3 it appears that most everyone tanked up and flew final glide (47mi?) w/o circling thru the rest of the turnpoints. Must have been the front coming in with rain. ZO went straight home from TP 3, so he scored distance. Hope that's correct.

Old March 31st 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

..... with I think 3 landouts (1 engine save).
Old March 31st 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

F8 - Bill Gawthrop - Finish too low 59 m - Penalty 298 sec. Whew! (What's SLGP's elevation in meters?)

I was looking for ZO, but didn't see Rich on the tracking page when I was watching. His track is showing up on the Results page, though.

PA

Old March 31st 18, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:32:46 PM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
F8 - Bill Gawthrop - Finish too low 59 m - Penalty 298 sec. Whew! (What's SLGP's elevation in meters?)

I was looking for ZO, but didn't see Rich on the tracking page when I was watching. His track is showing up on the Results page, though.

PA

120' = 37 m; min finish was 700'/213m today from task sheet.

Old March 31st 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Posted Weather animation videos of RACE days 1-4 GOES-16 vis 0.5km imagery, IGC and IGC tracks of winners each day. Sat photos update every 5 mins, tracks every 20 secs. Beautiful example showing use of cloud streets.

On 03-30 RACE 4, I've added a vis and RADAR overlayed image showing how the day deteriorates.

Displays fine on VLC and IOS 11 players. You can download individual mp4 files in the Dropbox folder from the ... menu:

bit.ly/SGPUSA2018WeatherVideos

If you are interested in playing these in IDV, the bundled images and config are in the IDV folder *.zidv. Note that the LOCATION files for the TP plots need to be loaded separately. Track igc data needs to be converted with John Bird's python script. Color tables also needed to be loaded.

I'll add the other source config data files and notes if anyone is interested in the IDV folder.

Walt Rogers WX

Old April 1st 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

We are using the Fly Event trackers and we are having a little difficulty getting tracks to show on SGP website. Should have it fixed today. We will use this service for 18 Meter Nationals. I’ll turn my phone on today.. Didn’t want 2 ZO show on tracking page yesterday.

Since I was a few points out of second, I tried a breakaway from the group early. There was sun on the ground at the first turnpoint and I was trying to get ahead on the short task day. Got low a couple of times but kept fighting. In the end I didn’t have final glide to last TP and Home. Some sun on ground heading to Seminole. Was going to try and get one climb to get to last TP but didn’t get a nibble. Good plan but the weather didn’t support it well enough. Today is going to be good so,,,,,, Thanks for all the support for Team ZOooooooo!!! Rich