FAA written exam for gliders

Old March 29th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default FAA written exam for gliders

I'm about to start flying lessons, and have read through the FAA-published text on glider flying. I have been advised to get the written exam out of the way before lessons, so I can focus on the flying aspect. I have been going through practice questions online, but there are many questions that I don't see addressed in the current FAA published text--questions on airspace classifications, certain aspects of cartography, and some weather stuff. I find I can't find the answers to the questions by looking it up in this text. Has the curriculum changed? Is there a good (free) online source for questions from the current curriculum? Thanks.
Old March 29th 18, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
I'm about to start flying lessons, and have read through the FAA-published text on glider flying. I have been advised to get the written exam out of the way before lessons, so I can focus on the flying aspect. I have been going through practice questions online, but there are many questions that I don't see addressed in the current FAA published text--questions on airspace classifications, certain aspects of cartography, and some weather stuff. I find I can't find the answers to the questions by looking it up in this text. Has the curriculum changed? Is there a good (free) online source for questions from the current curriculum? Thanks.

Your flight instructor should be guiding you here. The stuff you study is for more than the written test, and you likely want alignment with what the instructor usually uses. Many places will be using Russel Holtz's books: http://www.gliderbooks.com/glider-pi...knowledge.html. My personal favorites, but again you should be talking to your instructor.
Old March 29th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

John,

There are (at least) three other books that contain information that you will need:

"The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" FAA-H-8083-25B
"Risk Management Handbook" FAA-H-8083-2
"Aviation Weather Services" AC 00-45H

These are all referenced in the Glider Practical Test Standard (PTS) and should (will) be used by the examiner to develop questions and scenarios during the oral portion of your practical test.

The Glider PTS, FAA-S-8081-22.

All of these can be found, in PDF form with the current revision, on the FAA site.

https://www.faa.gov/ The search box is your friend!

Mike Bamberg
Glider DPE in the Portland Oregon area.

Old March 29th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

I would definitely go for the GroundSchool from the Dauntless Aviation. I have been using it for years now, it's available on all platforms (Windows, iOS, Android), and they update the contents frequently. And yes, it does have a version for PPL-Glider:

https://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/groundschool

Old March 29th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and studying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good that you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get the written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons. Once you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your instructor, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about in the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the right answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do. Don't put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam when the time comes.
Old March 30th 18, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and studying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good that you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get the written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons. Once you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your instructor, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about in the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the right answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do. Don't put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam when the time comes.

Thank you. I have talked with two different flight instructors, one glider, one power, who both suggested that I just memorize the questions and get the test "out of the way so I could focus on flying". However, after reading through books and taking some practice questions, I find I have more questions than answers. To me flying is a serious business, especially with a glider without an engine to get you out of trouble (or into?). To me it is important to UNDERSTAND. I need to be able to apply rules to real life scenarios I may find myself in. And I find that a live person to explain something that I don't quite understand is invaluable. In much of my other training there has been a significant difference between book learning and real world experience. It is easy to forget what you read in a book, especially if it is done just to pass a test. I would much prefer to have read the book, have questions that come up, discuss this with my instructor, have real life practical experiences that I can hang the facts/regulations/theory on as an anchor that I will help me remember these important things for much longer in the future. I do see the importance of making sure I have my "written" exam out of the way before my check ride (I have to--it's required). But I think I will learn better if I can as questions and understand stuff as I am applying it, instead of passing a test and then learning to fly. Sorry if this was a long-winded response, but it struck a chord with me.
Old March 30th 18, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

"I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand."

Old March 30th 18, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You, Sir, have the right idea.Â* Good luck with your training!

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 30th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:03:04 PM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
[...]

There are literally libraries full of information on understanding soaring concepts. Your goal is to prioritize and learn the minimum required to fly safely 1st and then build on that. Both your instructors are correct. As long as you are memorizing the information needed to answer the questions, mostly concentrate on learning how to answer the questions. The questions are about 80% information memorization. Some are intentionally designed to make you research the why, do research the why on these questions with your instructors, peers, and or/Google, it is the only way you can reliably answer some questions. The other 20% require you to understand procedures such as weight and balance, performance, and navigation. In summary use the questions as your guide to what to study 1st.

Everyone learns a bit differently, but I have found often just reading a summary of the information needed to answer a set of questions and then start answering practice questions is the best way to get through the knowledge test. Keep taking practice tests or doing random or focused study sessions with the questions until you can pass practice tests with an 85% or better score. The Dauntless or similar software should be very good at helping you do this.

Just remember the Knowledge test is just the minimum basic knowledge required to even be considered to take the practical test. During the flight training and Prep for the Practical test you will build on this basic knowledge to make sure you do understand what you need and continue to build more advanced knowledge.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Old March 30th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:03:04 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

As far learning material specific to the written exam, go with Dauntless. It is by far the most efficient way to study. In addition to test questions, they have a huge amount of study material built in to the program and the program links you to all the relevant info on questions you have questions about. It's all well written and nicely put together, well worth the price. It's commonplace for students using the Dauntless test prep to score high 90s.

Two thumbs up for your interest in continuing education.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman (CFIG and perpetual student)