Spinning a Pegase

Old April 8th 18, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan S

Default Spinning a Pegase

My Pegase 101's flight manual states that aerobatic maneuvers including intentional spins are prohibited.

I'm keen to test the behaviour of the glider in a spin and also the spin recovery procedure.

Is the Pegase really unsuitable for intentional spins, will the wings fall off?
Old April 8th 18, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

At 09:06 08 April 2018, Dan S wrote:
My Pegase 101's flight manual states that aerobatic maneuvers including
intentional spins are prohibited.

I'm keen to test the behaviour of the glider in a spin and also the spin
recovery procedure.

Is the Pegase really unsuitable for intentional spins, will the wings

fall
off?

The most likely reason is because it may be easy to exceed VNE in the
recovery.

The flight manual describes how to recover from a spin and from what it
says there's no fundamental problem other than exceeding VNE.

Take it to the stall with wing drop stage then recover, that's enough to
see what it looks like and how it recovers. If you unintentionally spin
recover immediately.

Chris

Old April 8th 18, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 2:06:37 AM UTC-7, Dan S wrote:
My Pegase 101's flight manual states that aerobatic maneuvers including intentional spins are prohibited.

I'm keen to test the behaviour of the glider in a spin and also the spin recovery procedure.

Is the Pegase really unsuitable for intentional spins, will the wings fall off?

"wings falling off" would not be the first issue I'd worry about.

The question is unlikely as simple as is the Pegasus suitable for any specific aerobatic maneuver, prohibited by the flight manual or otherwise, and more is the pilot suitably skilled to do something in a certain aircraft. And I doubt folks here can guess about your skills.
Old April 8th 18, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Most French-built gliders are prohibited from spinning in their manuals as
recall. Pegasus spin recovery is in the manual. It can be quite vicious in
spins,
especially with rear CoG.

Old April 8th 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wilson[_3_]

You might be interested in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeI2LlEzOT4

Old April 8th 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-4, Peter Wilson wrote:
You might be interested in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeI2LlEzOT4

That video is brilliant. This goes out on my club chat email.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 8th 18, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So, what makes one glider more likely than another to exceed VNE in a spin recovery? Lack of elevator authority? A Pegase isn't more slippery than any other modern glider, right?
Old April 8th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-4, Peter Wilson wrote:
You might be interested in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeI2LlEzOT4

Seems like in this video the speed bleeds off with not much of an increase in pitch attitude while the bank is progressively increased. But the bank is never extreme. He does say he gets the pre-stall buffet, at least with the yaw string straight. But with inside over-rudder (skidding turn) no warning. Not clear whether the glider type (and CG position) in the video is more susceptible to spinning in that attitude than other types.

Actual spin training in sailplanes seems uncommon in the USA these days. As part of CFIG training we got some nominal bit of it. Luckily for me, some years back an instructor insisted we do multiple full spin entries and recoveries. That was in a Blanik.

In my own glider, given that the CG is near the rear limit, I avoid spins, but of course sometimes get to feel what it's like on the edge of stall or spin entry while thermalling at low speeds in turbulent conditions. The important thing is to recognize the warnings and recover early.
Old April 8th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

If the Pegase manual includes spin recovery using stick and rudder, they didn't expect the wings to come off.
The LS6 flight manual includes 2.6: Spins not approved and 3.3: Spin recovery. Perhaps this is because about every third turn goes flat? It was a fun ride from over 10,000' AGL, but likely less fun if started low and you count to three.

Peter, thanks for the link to Mike's excellent video.
Spin training seems incomplete when only practicing in a "bus class" glider.
Jim
Old April 8th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 2:06:37 AM UTC-7, Dan S wrote:
My Pegase 101's flight manual states that aerobatic maneuvers including intentional spins are prohibited.

I'm keen to test the behaviour of the glider in a spin and also the spin recovery procedure.

Is the Pegase really unsuitable for intentional spins, will the wings fall off?

You are braver than I am to even ask the question. For me, if the POH says don't do it I try to not do it.

Puchacz spinning Don Johnstone[_4_] Soaring 2 July 15th 14 11:08 PM
pegase 101d Eddy Van Roon Soaring 0 May 13th 05 08:07 PM
Spinning (mis)concepts Arnold Pieper Soaring 106 February 7th 04 02:02 PM
Spinning the SZD 50-3 Tim Shea Soaring 31 February 2nd 04 02:46 PM
Spinning Horizon Mike Adams Owning 8 December 26th 03 02:35 AM