SGU 2-22

Old April 11th 18, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joe Rizzo

Default SGU 2-22

Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2189
Old April 11th 18, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you want it to be "easy," get a hangar.
Old April 11th 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joe Rizzo

I have one ;-)
Old April 11th 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I know a very nice intelligent guy who two years ago bought an old two place tube and fabric glider from a glider club where he had flown it. He bought a T-hanger at a different club to keep it in. The annual expired before he flew it. He took it to a local A&P IA who found damage from some hard landings. The repair costs were 2X what he had paid for the glider. The glider sat for a year. His hangar is now for sale.

Old April 11th 18, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 6:00:45 PM UTC-6, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2189

Joe - Here's another option.....I am sure it is in outstanding condition!

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2736
Old April 11th 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:00:45 PM UTC-5, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2189

My advice: look for a Ka-8(b) or a PW-5; otherwise look for something within your budget he

http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...&sCategory=135

(add $1200 for your return flight to Europe and $2000 for shipping the glider to US, plus the time for paperwork).
Old April 11th 18, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:00:45 PM UTC-5, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=218

In the early 90's, I flew that same 49Z during my training and winch sign-off. The 2-22's were well-built (tubular metal frame) and that one had an upgrade to the tail, I believe. The back seat is a bit cramped, but one person can haul it on the ground using the nose "handle". Not sexy, and no winglets, but fun to fly. Make sure you get an annual inspection and when you trade up it shouldn't have depreciated much if any.

Read the article about the 2-22 highlighted in April's "Soaring" rag.
Old April 11th 18, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Kellett

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 8:00:45 PM UTC-4, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

I learned to fly in one over a half-century ago. Better be good at slips, because the spoilers won't help much - of course, they come down pretty good due to poor performance. Uncomfortable back seat. You could do better for introducing people to the sport. On the other hand, it's a venerable antique and, IF WELL MAINTAINED, is a neat piece of history.
Old April 11th 18, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PGS

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 8:00:45 PM UTC-4, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Looking at purchasing my first glider. The 2-22 appeals to me as it fits my budget and my goals of just easy fun and giving rides. Any advice?

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2189

My advice would be sure to fly it before you commit to buying it.Years ago my club only had a 2-22, then added a 2-33. The 2-33 is significantly better in handling than the 2-22. I have vowed never to fly a 2-22 again, and I'll fly just about anything...
Old April 11th 18, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

That's an interesting anecdote because I've had the opposite experience. The 2-22C and E that I've flown have much nicer handling especially in roll response than the 2-33's I've flown.

I restored a 2-22E and have another one in process. Fun cheap two seater for training relatively lightweight pilots.