ASW-24

Old March 10th 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default ASW-24

At 15:36 10 March 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
My aerodynamic interest is piqued.Â* As small as winglets are with
respect to the wings, can you notice or measure a performance

difference
between the three different types of winglets mentioned in this

thread?

On 3/9/2018 5:30 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
As I understand it, there are three different sets of winglets for

the
ASW-24. I had the Nixon ones and liked them. I think there is a

Mark
Maughmer designed winglet and also a factory winglet.

One of Rex's rentals has the Maughmer set and the other has

one of the
others.

On Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 4:54:34 PM UTC-7, Lee Rusconi

wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 ASW-24 which is
in beautiful condition, good electronics and great
trailer. The glider is equipped with M&H winglets.
The asking price is $45,000 US. I would appreciate
any feedback regarding the winglets and/or the price.

Thanks

Dan, 5J

Yes. The factory winglets help noticeably with slow speed handling,
especially climbing in bumpy lift. They do hinder at the higher
speeds though. The Maughmer winglets provide the better climb
performance while not hindering the higher speed glide
performance. Personal observation experience (not scientifically
measured) from having 2 ASW-24's over a period of 10 years.

RO

Old March 10th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yes.
Chip, Hank and I were at a contest in Elmira many years ago. Chip was not convinced about winglets for the -24 yet.
We had an off day, so testing insued.
Chip flew his -24 with an early "Nixon slip on winglet" (no wing cutting needed), I flew Hanks -24 with an early Nixon winglet that required cutting the wing and Hank flew his -20 chatting and watching from behind so he could see.

We did straight runs at different speeds to check glide as well as thermaling with Chip and I alternating who led.
Minor gains on the later winglets vs. the slip ons, both were better than no winglets.
The big difference was in, "Yank and bank rough thermals". I could fairly consistently turn inside Chip in a hot spot and get above him.

So yes, stock vs. Nixon slip on or cut the wing was better with a winglet. Later "cut the wing" Nixon winglets were even better all around.
Not sure if they were tested against other brand winglets, likely, but I don't remember.

AFAIK, Chip may still even have those slip on winglets........
Old March 11th 18, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, Lee Rusconi wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 ASW-24 which is
in beautiful condition, good electronics and great
trailer. The glider is equipped with M&H winglets.
The asking price is $45,000 US. I would appreciate
any feedback regarding the winglets and/or the price.

Thanks

I own an ASW24 that once belonged to a wonderful man named Ray Galloway, P1..
My wife and I fly the 24 often and I think it is an excellent flying and handling bird.I do agree that it needed a water tank in the tail. I made lead weights to insert in the rear top of the vertical fin. Only drawback is that my wife must always remove the tail surface and remove the weights before flight. My thermal speed depends on the thermal, strong days I find myself going a bit faster, and on weaker days maybe 45 or so. Bob
Old March 12th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I recall that day very well, Charlie. I had been uncertain about winglets only until KS outclimbed me in a survival thermal at Littlefield with early Maughmer winglets when my ship was new. Once I started flying with UH's "slip on" winglets a year later, there was no going back. I could outclimb non-winglet 24s (and many other types) but the big difference was better low-speed handling.

My impression was that these early UH tips were better than the factory's. On more than one occasion, I was able to climb away from 24s with the factory winglets in weak thermals where I was pretty sure wing loading was not a factor.

It's true that on that day, Charlie was able to climb through me pretty convincingly with a later version of UH's tips. But the cross-over point in glide on that early developmental design was a little too low for me (75-80 kts?).

However, UH continued to refine his design and the final version retained the superior climb with no perceivable loss at the high-speed end. That's when I made the switch. I've been flying with them for 15 years and consider them essential. They're also Schleicher approved, now.

Chip Bearden
Old March 12th 18, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 11:35:24 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Wow - I think it's terrific that your wife flies, too!Â* Maybe you need
another ship so you can fly together, or a Stemme...

--
Dan, 5J

Dan, for better or worse , but not for flying together! She flies better than 90% of the guys. She flew an ASW 20 that we owned back in the 80's for several years. She does have her own ship, an KA6 that is like new and she likes the vintage sailplanes. Please note, at 120 pounds she will show you how to climb, She usually stays up for hours and leaves most of the guts shaking their heads.

Old April 10th 18, 09:14 PM
Wingdriver Wingdriver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) View Post
Hank Nixon will likely read this thread this morning and get back to you. He still does winglets, wouldn't be surprised if he could do a set of -24 for you.
But, let him tell you.
If Hank Nixon still produce winglets for the 24 I would be glad if he contacts me.

Last edited by Wingdriver : April 13th 18 at 09:31 PM.