Tent Buying Guide (long, print it out)

Old August 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Montblack wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen the light with those self-inflating
double-high (15"-20") air mattresses. Ours takes 4D batteries and
comfortably fits inside a medium size Coleman cooler for transport.
Batteries have lasted us over a year.

How is it to sleep on?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old August 4th 05, 05:17 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
.net...
Good stuff, IF you are going to carry the tent.

I have numerous tents from $40 tents from Costco to a single-wall
mountaineering tent that I will be taking to Mt Vinson in Antartica next
January. I believe in cheap tents for events like bike tours (unless you
are carrying the tent) and airplane camping. You can casually abuse a
cheap tent and not worry about it.

snip

Do not underestimate the value of cheap.

Mike
MU-2

I have a fairly nice 2 person backpacking tent that has a low profile and
a full size rain fly. Despite 30+ mph winds and lots of rain at Oshkosh
on Monday night, the wife and I were essentially bone dry. Our poor
neighbor had a cheapo tent and ended up bailing out his tent the next
morning and having to dry ALL of his stuff - clothes, sleeping bag, etc.
He had a miserable night and said he slept in water (not in damp bedding,
but IN water). Monday was one of those days where spending a few more
dollars to get a decent tent really paid off.

For me, the only good place for a cheap tent is for kids who are "camping"
in their backyard. In that situation, if the tent leaks, you bag the
campout and head inside... No harm, no foul. Otherwise, being stuck with
an inadequate tent really, really, sucks. Trying to sleep in a tent
turned swamp isn't my idea of a vacation... ;-)

A cheap tent, *properly guyed out*, will easily weather anything at OSH that
doesn't send airplanes flying. The $40 tent I took on a bicycle tour of CO
kept me dry through seven evenings of CBs. I'm not saying that a $40 tent
is equal to a Mountain Hardware EV 2, I am only pointing out that for trips
like OSH, a cheap tent has advantages. One problem with tents that have a
"low profile" is that they have a low profile. The El Cheapo tents are
usually pretty big inside.

Mike
MU-2
ATP and Outdoor Equipment Connoiseur

Old August 4th 05, 08:59 AM
Montblack

("Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote)
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen the light with those self-inflating
double-high (15"-20") air mattresses. Ours takes 4D batteries and
comfortably fits inside a medium size Coleman cooler for transport.
Batteries have lasted us over a year.

How is it to sleep on?

Real good. Comfortable. Firm but soft, IYKWIM.

If you think it's a little less firm at 3 am than it was at 10pm, just give
it a quick hit of air. Climb down off the thing, turn the knob (don't forget
to open the vent), whir-whir-whir, close vent and turn knob to 'Off"
....remount, go back to sleep. Figure $45 this fall on closeout - maybe less.

My problem this year was I threw the queen in the minivan without thinking -
queen mattress was too wide for the back of the minivan (48"). Doh! Off I
went to the store Monday morning for a 20" high Twin size - 40" wide
mattress. Couldn't find a self inflating model so I picked up a pump too -
since I had electricity at the site.

Montblack

Old August 4th 05, 02:17 PM
john smith

Time out, everyone!
As the founder of this thread, I will add a point in defense of cheap
tents (since I haven't as yet written the full AIRVENTURE TENT BUYERS
GUIDE).

Mike's points are all valid. He has quantified them and they are sound.
If you know what to look for, you can find inexpensive tents that will
do the job.

The information I posted is intended to educate the reader about what
features to look for and why. Armed with that information, you will find
a wide range of prices that may suit your needs.

Short story...
One of my neighbor/campers this year was using a 15 year old Eureka
Timberline 4. During the wind and rain, the fly ripped. The tent and fly
were faded and worn. My neighbor was lamenting that he was disappointed
in the tent. He had bought it because others had told him Eureka was a
good tent and would last a long time.
It did, he just had higher expectations.
He expressed that he would probably buy a cheap $40 tent because if it
only lasted a couple of years, he could purchase another and still be
money ahead instead of spending $160 for a new Timberline 4.
Is his logic flawed? Maybe. Maybe not. It all depends on the features
and materials he selects for his next purchase.

Personally, I have been experimenting with light/ultra-light camping
using just a 10x12 siltarp and a piece of 6'x8' TYVEK.
I am not quite ready for a week worth of AirVenture with it, but it has
potential.
Old August 4th 05, 05:06 PM
George Patterson

john smith wrote:

Personally, I have been experimenting with light/ultra-light camping
using just a 10x12 siltarp and a piece of 6'x8' TYVEK.
I am not quite ready for a week worth of AirVenture with it, but it has
potential.

Back before I was aware that there was such a thing as money, I used to camp
with just a mil-surplus sleeping bag. I would take along the cheapest plastic
dropcloth I could find and a coil of clothesline. If it looked like rain, I
could string the line between a couple of trees, cut some dead wood for stakes,
and stay pretty dry. Of course, that was in an area where there *were* trees and
deadwood in plenty (GSMNP).

I still carry a cheap dropcloth and some clothesline in my emergency gear pack.

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 05:08 PM
Mike Rapoport

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
Personally, I have been experimenting with light/ultra-light camping using
just a 10x12 siltarp and a piece of 6'x8' TYVEK.
I am not quite ready for a week worth of AirVenture with it, but it has
potential.

The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

Mike
bug hater

Old August 4th 05, 06:14 PM
Montblack

("Mike Rapoport" wrote)
The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

Not one mosquito this year, not any last year either - and I'm a mosquito
magnet.

There were an inordinate number of crickets this year. They were all over my
campsite, which was ok because they were being quiet ...and, you know, all
that good luck stuff. I was in a cornfield campground 2 miles south of the
ultralights.

Montblack

Old August 4th 05, 06:32 PM
George Patterson

Mike Rapoport wrote:

The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/searc...=search&k=deet

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 06:35 PM
Mike Rapoport

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Mike Rapoport wrote:

The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/searc...=search&k=deet

George Patterson

It doesn't stop them from buzzing around your head all night, keeping you
awake.

Mike
Bug Hater

Old August 4th 05, 07:51 PM
Mike Rapoport

Glad to hear it. I wasn't there this year but was eaten alive several years
ago.

Mike
MU-2

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Mike Rapoport" wrote)
The bugs will get you at OSH if you use a tarp!

Not one mosquito this year, not any last year either - and I'm a mosquito
magnet.

There were an inordinate number of crickets this year. They were all over
my campsite, which was ok because they were being quiet ...and, you know,
all that good luck stuff. I was in a cornfield campground 2 miles south of
the ultralights.

Montblack

Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Home Built 20 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM