Cataract Surgery

Old June 17th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cataract Surgery

I went for my class 3 medical and came up with 20/50 visual due to a
cataract. This of course blew the physical. I went to the
ophthalomologist and he said "lets do it".
The surgery went well and I am coming back to 20/20. The doctor doing
the class 3 notified the Aerospace Medical Certification Division that
I had blown the examination and that I was having surgery to correct
the problem. This morning I got a notice from the Aerospace Medical
people advising me that my certification was denied and that I would
need to get a couple of pages of "report of eye evaluation"
questionnaire filled out by the ophthalmologist.

This is complicated by the ophthalmologist's recommendation that we do
the other eye as soon as he is comfortable with the condition of the
first eye.

Question: If I get the form filled out, get certified, then get the
second operation, in that sequence, and two years from now note on the
medical questionnaire that I have had the second operation will I have
to get another form filled out by my opthalmologist? In other words is
the evaluation form necessary for the surgery or just because I blew
the physical? It's not a really big deal except it is sort of a pain in
the ass to go back to the opthalmologist and get a couple of dozen
questions answered. The option is to have the second operation done
now and then get a form filled out for both operations.
I am probably going to have to call Oklahoma City on this but thought
there might be some experience out there. Thanks, Leo

Old June 18th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You will recovery very quickly from the first surgery..
I'd wait until they are both done, proper healing time is completed and then
do the recertification requirements.

And now the time honored question.... Are you an AOPA member and have you
talked to their medical certification? Why Not.

BT

oups.com...

Old June 18th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

BTIZ wrote:
You will recovery very quickly from the first surgery..
I'd wait until they are both done, proper healing time is completed and then
do the recertification requirements.

And now the time honored question.... Are you an AOPA member and have you
talked to their medical certification? Why Not.

Yep, I'm a member. I didn't call AOPA because I got the FAA notice on
saturday and second I forgot they did medical advice. Thanks for the
comment, the recovery is fast. I suspect you are right, finish up and
do the recert all at once. Thanks again. Leo

BT

oups.com...

Old June 22nd 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I had cataract surgery with an accommodating lens (Crystalens) implant a
couple of months before my medical. The surgeon filled out the FAA form (2
pages), I took it with me to the examiner. No problems passing, with no
glasses required at all ( I was wearing trifocals before the surgery).
Recovery was about four weeks.

Frank

wrote in message
oups.com...

BTIZ wrote:
You will recovery very quickly from the first surgery..
I'd wait until they are both done, proper healing time is completed and
then
do the recertification requirements.

And now the time honored question.... Are you an AOPA member and have you
talked to their medical certification? Why Not.

Yep, I'm a member. I didn't call AOPA because I got the FAA notice on
saturday and second I forgot they did medical advice. Thanks for the
comment, the recovery is fast. I suspect you are right, finish up and
do the recert all at once. Thanks again. Leo

BT

oups.com...