Best place to live and fly?

Old May 10th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best place to live and fly?

Florida may be south of the Mason Dixon Line, but it is not part of the
South!!
You can tell by, among other things, the corn bread.

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 May 2006 22:16:08 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:
You say that above a whisper anywhere near NC and you'd best be locked
and
loaded! :-)

I'm from Texas, I'm *always* locked and loaded...

Hell, NC doesn't know BBQ either... In my extensive travels across the
US, I've come to the determination that it is impossible to get *real*
BBQ outside of Texas... Now, some of the area have somewhat tasty
endeavors that the *call* BBQ, but it's not truly BBQ... Believe it or
not, some places even have *mustard* based BBQ sauces... It's not a
north vs south thing either -- Florida doesn't have *real* BBQ
either... They think pork is BBQ... Hell, I went to this one
restaurant south of Miami and their version of BBQ was to cook the
meat in an electric oven and then throw BBQ sauce over it before
serving it... Pure sacrilege...

Old May 10th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:33:10 GMT, "soxinbox" wrote:
Florida may be south of the Mason Dixon Line, but it is not part of the
South!!
You can tell by, among other things, the corn bread.

Hmmm... I don't think that I've ever had corn bread while in
Florida... How do they do it over there?
Old May 10th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
BBQ is made from cows? When did they start that? Must be Yankee
propaganda.

Lotta Yankees in Texas?

That said, anyone who insists "barbecue is this" or "barbecue is that" is
either a) trying to sell cows (or pigs), or b) has an inferiority complex
large enough to fill the state of Texas. In many cases, both apply.

Technically, "barbecue" is simply a way to cook ANY kind of meat. Sometimes
it involves sauce, sometimes it doesn't. The key is the long, slow cooking
process.

Gastronomically, "barbecue" is a word that describes an incredibly diverse
and wonderful world of food. A person who fails to appreciate more than one
kind of barbecue is a narrow-minded pin-head who doesn't deserve to eat
*anything* with more taste than a slice of Wonder Bread.

So there.

Pete

Old May 10th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
says...

Montblack
#1 Nashville, TN
"a mild climate"

Bite me!! g

Because you prefer the climate in the Twin Cities?
When I was there it was my understanding that corporations like Control Data
and 3M were having a hard time maintaining their HQ there, because top
engineers and execs didn't want any part of -40 degree winters. ;-)

Seriously, it's long been a contender on the various "best places" lists,
considered to have a higher than average cultural appeal for its size, but I
thought it had lost some ground in recent years, and was not making the "top
ten" lists any more. Guess I'm proven wrong.

High points on the Twin Cities list : the Minnesota Orchestra, much higher
standing than a city of that size would normally boast, and (at least some
years ago - may have changed now) the ultra high-end supermarkets, Byerly's and
Lunds!! Don't find that on the East coast!

GF

Old May 10th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Doug wrote:
Compared to the scenery in place that have ocean, mountains, lakes,
sand dunes, wild rivers, skiing, deserts to rainforests, AND all the
stuff Iowa City has??? Well, I'm glad you like it. It does have midwest
charm. I'd tell you where the best is, but then I'd have to kill
you......better if you don't know.

And if you did spill the beans, the rest of us who live there would
have to button you up real good.

Old May 10th 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I vote for Iowa City!

This just in:

"'Kiplinger's Personal Finance' ranked Iowa City 10th in its top 50
'Smart Places to Live' list. The rankings are based on cost of living,
homes, crime, health care, climate, environment and education."

Is Iowa still an overwhelming white state, or is it finally starting to look
like the rest of us? If so, what new industries are providing the jobs for
all the newcomers? After all, it really can't take to many people to grow
corn.

Old May 10th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
says...

Florida may be south of the Mason Dixon Line, but it is not part of the
South!!
You can tell by, among other things, the corn bread.

News Flash - Bird flu hits Florida :
http://rainbowfish.typepad.com/photo...ed/birdflu.jpg

Old May 10th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-05-10, Doug wrote:
Compared to the scenery in place that have ocean, mountains, lakes,
sand dunes, wild rivers, skiing, deserts to rainforests...

When I was a small child of around 6 years old, I used to look through
the atlas. I used to look in wonder at the United States, and try to
figure out how people living in places like Iowa could bear living so
many miles from the sea.

I've never lived more than about 70 miles from open salt water. I don't
think I would want to, either! (Where I live now, it's impossible to be
more than about 7.5 miles from open water).

It does have its drawbacks though. We get quite a few IFR days and
soaring in the glider is often a challenge!

Old May 10th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"GeorgeC" wrote in message
BBQ is made from cows? When did they start that? Must be Yankee
propaganda.

Lotta Yankees in Texas?

That said, anyone who insists "barbecue is this" or "barbecue is that" is
either a) trying to sell cows (or pigs), or b) has an inferiority complex
large enough to fill the state of Texas. In many cases, both apply.

Technically, "barbecue" is simply a way to cook ANY kind of meat.
Sometimes it involves sauce, sometimes it doesn't. The key is the long,
slow cooking process.

Gastronomically, "barbecue" is a word that describes an incredibly diverse
and wonderful world of food. A person who fails to appreciate more than
one kind of barbecue is a narrow-minded pin-head who doesn't deserve to
eat *anything* with more taste than a slice of Wonder Bread.

So there.

Being a life long Texan, I agree. While I don't normally enjoy ribs, I do
love beef *and* pork BBQ. Just as long as the potato salad isn't the mustard
style...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/10/2006 7:47:57 AM

Old May 10th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

We just had a couple of tornados last night close to us.

Ross
KSWI (Sherman (TX) Municipal Airport) North of Dallas. (How's this for
identifing?)

Bob Noel wrote:

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I vote for Iowa City!

This just in:

"'Kiplinger's Personal Finance' ranked Iowa City 10th in its top 50
'Smart Places to Live' list. The rankings are based on cost of living,
homes, crime, health care, climate, environment and education."

:-)

One word: Tornado.

:-)