Wingtip Vortex: Heavy, Clean, Slow - Why?

Old January 19th 05, 05:35 AM
Morgans

"steve.t" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is this why there are fences on wings? [I am assuming that the over
sized chord shaped flat metal blade on a wing is a fence]. That is to
keep the air flow straighter than it would otherwise flow?

And speaking of winglets, would a winglet provide sufficient efficiency
increase for piston singles to make it worth the cost of the
modification (field approval or STC)?

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Without getting into a bunch of searching for proof, what I recall reading
is that winglets can be thought of as more wing, to keep the vortices from
coming off the wing tip. Vortices still come off the winglet. Some of the
energy is reclaimed by making the vortices from the winglet flow over the
airfoil, adding lift. Angle and size are important, as being slightly wrong
can soon destroy any gains.

They are most efficient at speeds above what piston singles can attain.
Fences and other trick wing tips (drooped, angled) are better at low speeds.
You are better off adding more wingspan to increase the aspect ratio, at our
size.

Airliners can't simply add more wing length, and still fit in the gates and
hangars, and keep the spars strong enough, so they put on the winglets.

I'm sure that some of this is not quite right, but I think the general
concepts are correct.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 19th 05, 09:02 AM
Hilton

Dan Girellini wrote:
From http://av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html#sec-wake-vortices:

You would think that...flaps extended would be the absolute worst, but

that
is not quite true. The flaps do increase the circulation-producing
capability of the wing, but they do not extend over the full
span. Therefore a part of the circulation is shed where the flaps end,

and
another part is shed at the wingtips. If you fly into the wake of

another
plane, two medium-strength vortices will cause you less grief than a

single
full-strength vortex. Therefore, you should expect that the threat

from
wake vortices is greatest behind an airplane that is heavy, slow, and
unflapped.

Yeah. Go tell Denker to fly behind a flapped 757 on an approach.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9810.html
http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9403.html

Hilton

Old January 19th 05, 04:55 PM

If I'm not mistaken fences prevent the spanwise flow across the wing,
delaying the onset of a stall. For the airplanes that we typically fly
the wing stalls from the root first then spanwise to the tips, the
fences help to reduce this. Vortex generators on the other hand do
exactly what their name imply, create vortices that re-energize the
boundary layer on the wing. Slots also serve a similar purpose, except
that higher energy flow from beneath the wing is allowed to travel to
the upper surface and re-energize the boundary layer.

Dave

Old January 19th 05, 05:06 PM

But the reason that you can fly slower in the first place is because
the flaps are down. :-) If you look at a CL curve for a wing with and
without flaps you will notice that with flaps extended the curve moves
up and to the left. Up and to the left. (Sorry about the JFK movie
bit). So while the AOA with flaps is reduced for the overall wing, the
local lift coefficient in the section with flaps extended is higher.
The common belief is that downwash causes vortices which in turn
increase drag. Actually, it's the wing tip vortices and vortices bound
to the wing surface that deflects the airflow in the vicinity of the
wing downwards, contributing to the creation of downwash and induced
drag.

Dave

Old January 19th 05, 05:33 PM
steve.t

Dave:

Actually, you want the root to stall first so that you can maintain
control. If the tips stall first, you will lose aileron effectiveness
immediately.

And I think this is why "stall strips" are put on the inboad sections
of wings on certain aircraft, to force the root to stall before the
wing tips.

In looking at airfoil designs and their stall characteristics, the
Piper "Hershey Bar" design gives the best stall handling as it
naturally stalls from the root moving outward to the tips.
Regards,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old January 19th 05, 05:53 PM
steve.t

Jim:

I've noticed and have flown C-15x with the exagerated wing tip (folded
down) and I've not really noticed any improvement at low speed (which
is what I think it is for, better handling at low speed for approach).

What I am interested in is increased lift, and better performance (in
terms of fuel usage) which is what the winglets do for the B-747
(something like 30% improvement in fuel economy! if memory serves me
correctly).

So if we could obtain the equivalent above 6000' MSL without wrecking
the approach speed performance, I was wondering if it would be worth
it. Particularly when looking at US$3/gal for 100LL.

In my case, with speed mods for wheel pants, wing tips, rudder and flap
gap seals, I get 1 Gal/hr better than the POH calls for with a fully
run out engine (I've just had it overhauled and don't have current
figures). What that means is, at 70% power, POH calls for 9.3 GPH at
6000' MSL (STD day). I get 8-8.3 GPH and 4-7 Knots better speed and a
lower actual stall speed. This was rather expensive to do (all the STCs
cost more than I would get back even flying 100+ hours/yr -- thankfully
the plane already had them when I bought it). And I do not do aggresive
leaning (I only lean until I start to get an engine drop of any RPM and
then enrich 1.5 turns).

But if a single mod could take advantage of the vortice energy to
recover 30% at cruise, that might make it worth doing. Particularly if
it added to climb rates (which I also see with all the STCs I currently
have).

Regards,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old January 19th 05, 06:00 PM

Steve,

I think my original post mentioned that the wing stalls first at the
root and then move spanwise toward the tips, and that stall fences
delayed the seperation from moving out towards the wingtips and hence
the ailerons. A more common way to ensure the root stalls first is
washing out the wing. Of course this doesn't apply to swept, tapered,
or elliptical wings which either stall uniformly or at the tips first.
Dave

Old January 20th 05, 01:00 AM
Blueskies

"steve.t" wrote in message oups.com...
Jim:

I've noticed and have flown C-15x with the exagerated wing tip (folded
down) and I've not really noticed any improvement at low speed (which
is what I think it is for, better handling at low speed for approach).

What I am interested in is increased lift, and better performance (in
terms of fuel usage) which is what the winglets do for the B-747
(something like 30% improvement in fuel economy! if memory serves me
correctly).

Oh, no, not 30%! If that were true then every plane would have them.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...ets/wing2.html

Old January 20th 05, 03:48 AM
Morgans

"steve.t" wrote

Jim:

I've noticed and have flown C-15x with the exagerated wing tip (folded
down) and I've not really noticed any improvement at low speed (which
is what I think it is for, better handling at low speed for approach).

The fact that all small planes do not have that type of wingtip, is a
testamony to what little benefit they must provide. If they were
noticeable, by simple observation, everyone would be using them. I have no
doubt that they have a measureable gain in slow speed performance, when
measured in a wind tunnel, but enough for you to notice on the
plane?....Gimmic?... They do look cool. g

What I am interested in is increased lift, and better performance (in
terms of fuel usage) which is what the winglets do for the B-747
(something like 30% improvement in fuel economy! if memory serves me
correctly).

30% seems a little, or a lot high, from my memory.

Longer wingspan, high aspect ratio wings are almost always more efficient.
Look at sailplanes. That is the primary way winglets improve efficiency.
Also, remember my comment about them being better at higher speeds than
where we operate piston singles, or even piston twins.

So if we could obtain the equivalent above 6000' MSL without wrecking
the approach speed performance, I was wondering if it would be worth
it. Particularly when looking at US$3/gal for 100LL.

Unlikely. See above.

But if a single mod could take advantage of the vortice energy to
recover 30% at cruise, that might make it worth doing. Particularly if
it added to climb rates (which I also see with all the STCs I currently
have).

Climb rates are at slower speeds, so even less gain than cruise.

I am far from an expert on all things aerodynamic; I just read all I can.
My take on winglets for small planes is like the argument I made on the
drooped tips, earlier. If they were significant for use in small planes,
everyone would be using them. Are all of the major manufactures of light
planes using them? Nope. Wrong tree. (you're barking up) ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old January 20th 05, 09:33 AM

Jim and Steve,

Winglets work by 'flying' in the tip vortex; they are placed on the
wing with a slight 'toe out' such that their lift vector is inward and
slightly forward. They fly with a posivitve AOA at this toe out angle
because their local relative wind is the top (inward rotating) part of
the tip vortex. The forward component of their lift vector shows up as
a reduction of induced drag.

Winglets are effective only on aircraft that cruise at or near the
stall speed, where the vortex is large. This is true on most bizjets
and transport type jets; while their true airspeed is very high, their
indicated airspeed is nearly down to the stall. Most of these types of
aircraft cruise in this little 'corner' of the envelope, just above the
stall speed and just below the limiting Mach numer. A little slower
and you stall, a little faster and you get into bad Mach effects
(buffeting or Mach tuck.) It is commonly called the coffin corner.

Winglets are effective on these planes not because they are flying
fast, but rather because (in indicated airspeed) they are flying slow
(close to the stall). The low IAS means they fly at a high AOA (nearly
stalled) and create strong vortices for the winglets to fly in.

Winglets are typically of no or even negative value on light aircraft
because our cruise speed is typically about twice the stall speed.
This means we cruise with a much lower AOA, and therefore create much
weaker wingtip vorticies. Without the strong vortex, there is little
rotating flow for the winglet to fly in, and it just adds parasite
drag.

The voyager had winglets (until Dick scraped them off) because that
aircraft was designed to fly at the airspeed of maximum range, which
was near enough to the stall speed to make the winglets effective.
That the aircraft made it around the world without them attests to the
fact that the induced drag reduction is incremental (a few percent.)
Regards,

Gene