Lathe Help

Old February 4th 04, 04:57 AM
Bruce A. Frank

Default Lathe Help

I have come by a lathe that has some electrical problems. The unit has a
2 hp 3 phase 220 volt motor. One of the magnetic relays was burned out
when I got the lathe. I replaces the relay, turned the switch on and the
brand new relay burned up also. Though the lathe came with most of the
tooling there was no manual and no circuit diagram anywhere. Since the
relays, there are 5 of them and a transformer, cost $57 each would like
to by pass that system and install a drum switch (to reverse the motor).
Trouble is I cannot trace out the system without just about
disassembling the whole thing.(several switches controling coolant pump,
light and other electrical additions) I built a rotating phase converter
and know that the motor runs just fine. I would like to find a manual
that has the electrical system diagrammed. The only ID I find on the
machine is "Doncho Enterprise Co. Ltd., Taipei, Taiwan, ROC." THe only
other info on the tag is the serial number and "type JH-1337." My Google
searches for the company have been fruitless. Grizzly has a couple of
lathes that look similar. Thought maybe the rights to build were sold to
someone building them for Grizzly. Grizzly says, "yours is not a Grizzly
lathe." There is no manufacture date but this thing is probably vintage
'60s. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
Old February 4th 04, 02:20 PM
Jerry Wass

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote:

[...]

Try posting on rec.crafts.metalworking---those guys do that allatime. Jerry

Old February 4th 04, 04:09 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Thanks Jerry, Corky suggested the same thing. I had lost that address,
but have posted there now.

Old February 4th 04, 04:29 PM
sidk

Bruce,
If it were mine I would forget about trying to fix the old wiring. I
would rip it all out and start new using SSRs (Solid State Relays)
which are relatively cheap.
So, what is to operate?
1) the rotary converter.
2) switching on the 3-phase lathe motor after the converter is
running.
3) Lights
4) Cutting-oil/coolant pump
5) ? whatever else....?

The transformer is probably simply to provide 115V for the pump,
light, and relay coils. You will already have 115V available as half
of your 230.
Compared to aircraft wiring, this is rather basic.

An additional thought... Why the burned up relay??
It could be that the 3-phase motor is NFG. Or a short in the wiring
somewhere.
It might be worth your time and effort to just "haywire" only the
converter and motor together (isolated from any "original" wiring) on
a temporary basis to determine if the thing will run. If it does, then
build up from there.

Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message ...
I have come by a lathe that has some electrical problems. The unit has a
2 hp 3 phase 220 volt motor. One of the magnetic relays was burned out
when I got the lathe. I replaces the relay, turned the switch on and the
brand new relay burned up also.

..
..
..
Old February 4th 04, 04:38 PM
Bruce A. Frank

That is the way to go. I am somewhat intimidated by what I see and am
not sure what some of the switches do. But you are absolutely correct.
All of it can be controlled with the drum switch to reverse the motor
and the pump by pulling from a leg of the power circuit. Heck, I am not
above running a separate cord to the wall for the coolant pump. Thanks
for making me focus.

sidk wrote:

[...]

.
.
.

Old February 4th 04, 04:41 PM
Bruce A. Frank

I forgot, I did jumper the power supply directly to the motor...it does
run forward...switch two wires of the 3 phase and it runs in reverse.

Old February 5th 04, 07:27 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Bruce: I have a Victor lathe that was mfr. in Taiwan that has a similar set
up. I removed the coolant pump but have the switches all working and am
using a static phase converter. If you think it could help, I could try and
attach the circuit for my late on an e-mail. Let me know if you want me to
try it. BTW your post Blanton and carb sizing had an equation that I had
never seen before. Thanks..
Stu Fields

Old February 5th 04, 08:23 PM
sidk

Also, I thought of after I posted the above, regular circuit breakers
(the type in your home distribution panel) are really cheap (Home
Depot, Lowes, etc...)and not only provide switch function but also
protection. If you want a 3-phase breaker, simply gang three
together.

Sid

Old February 6th 04, 03:19 AM
Hugh Prescott

Bad idea to use 3 single phase breakers for 3 phase power as you can have
one trip out and still leave two of the motors phases powered, will let the
smoke out of the motor and possibly you..

Or you can trip two of the breakers and still have voltage on the motor,
this can let the smoke out of you if troubleshooting.

Code requires all three phases to trip if any phase overloads. Same logic
applies to 220 1 phase devices both hot leads must disconnect.

Hugh

m...

Old February 6th 04, 03:45 AM
John Ammeter

I'll second this advice!!!

A three phase motor with one phase tripped out or dead is
going to burn out very soon.

It's called "single-phasing".....

John

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:19:48 -0600, "Hugh Prescott"
wrote:

Bad idea to use 3 single phase breakers for 3 phase power as you can have
one trip out and still leave two of the motors phases powered, will let the
smoke out of the motor and possibly you..

Or you can trip two of the breakers and still have voltage on the motor,
this can let the smoke out of you if troubleshooting.

Code requires all three phases to trip if any phase overloads. Same logic
applies to 220 1 phase devices both hot leads must disconnect.

Hugh

om...