Peltor ANR Headset deepsixed

Old August 24th 05, 06:18 PM
Maule Driver

Default Peltor ANR Headset deepsixed

I'm at the end of my rope for these headsets. I bought them about 5
years ago and they worked pretty well. I particularly liked the
workmanship and the way they folded up. 9v battery in the ear cup was
nice too.

This it the second time I've sent one of the them in when the ANR
function just stopped working. This time both are on the blink. First
time they fixed it and billed me something much less than $100. This
time $714 for the pair.

I think not.

Interestingly, the radio shop who sold them to me, commented that my
experience seemed to be typical and he was sorry he sold them (I owe him
on that one).

I'm in the market for a pair of ANRs and busily searching the archives
for past discussions.....

Thank the aviation gods who allowed my Maule's previous owner to
bequeath a pair of non-ANR DCs to me. They work like a charm, have
traveled in the Maule's bilge for 7+ years, and been used by every
less-than-desirable passenger I've taken for a ride.

So why am I looking for another brand?
Old August 24th 05, 07:53 PM
dave

I can't imagine why you're looking for another brand. I went from DC
10-20's to DC anr's about two years ago. The anr's are great. Some
complain about comfort but I don't have any problems. Mine are the
newer models with the 9v battery packs. I really need to get the panel
mounted power supplies installed.

Dave
68 7ECA

Old August 24th 05, 08:24 PM
Dan Luke

"Maule Driver" wrote:

So why am I looking for another brand?

Because DC's hurt, that's why.

My experiences:

o DC - extremely durable, extremely painful. Haven't tried their ANR's.

o Lightspeed 25- *very* comfortable, quiet, easy on batteries, not a great
microphone, great customer service (which is nice because mine needs it
often).

o Telex ANR-1D- comfortable, quiet, hard on batteries, good microphone,
sensitive to any seal leak due to glasses, fair customer service (needed it
once).

o Bose X - superb in every way, absurdly expensive.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 24th 05, 09:37 PM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:

My experiences:

o Bose X - superb in every way, absurdly expensive.

Agreed. One more -
o Sennheiser - nearly as good as the Bose. Costs about 60% as much.

George Patterson
Old August 24th 05, 10:22 PM
nrp

I retrofitted DC H10-40 with the Headsets Inc ANR unit some years back.
I also modified our RST Intercom adding a 9 V zener power supply for
the ANR headset so no battery is required to power everything. The RST
Intercom comes with a full circuit diagram (horrors!) so it was easy to
figure out all of this. The RST intercom is connected via a short
cable and a Bendix 6 pin PT series connector adjacent to the fuel
selector, to the aircraft electrical/electronic system and sits on the
cabin floor a couple of inches behind the 172M's fuel selector.

Old August 24th 05, 11:09 PM
Jay Honeck

So why am I looking for another brand?

I'll second the notion that DC's hurt. And they're heavy.

(And I've always thought Peltor seemed awfully flimsy for the price, BTW.)

My experience:

- Flightcom. Junk. Owned two pairs, and they literally fell apart. And
they hurt almost as much as DCs

- LightSpeed/Old. Old versions (15s, 20s, 25s, 25XLs) were very
comfortable, and not durable. ANR worked great, when it was working.
Outstanding customer service, which I used way too often.

- LightSpeed/New: Twenty 3G models (and up) are outstanding AND durable.
I now have three of them, and they are wonderful.

- Bose. Outstanding, and absurdly over-priced. People who own them rave
about them, but then, who would say anything bad about anything after
parting with a thousand bucks (plus tax!) for what amounts to a pair of
glorified stereo headphones?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 24th 05, 11:37 PM
john smith

Dan, you need to check the TELEX 50D ANR headset.
Best all round.
Old August 24th 05, 11:41 PM
Alan

My experience has been exactly the opposite over the same time period.
Went from non-ANR Peltor to ANR Peltor about 5 years ago and they've
worked perfectly. Very comfortable and reliable. Sorry to hear
about your problem.

A friend loaned me his Bose ANRs while he was on hiatus from flying.
My wife immediately appropriated them because they were so comfortable
and I could only use them when it was just me and the dogs flying. I
was sorry to give them up when HIS wife began her pilot training.

Alan Bloom
'60 C182
Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

Old August 25th 05, 12:08 AM
Dan Luke

"john smith" wrote:

Dan, you need to check the TELEX 50D ANR headset.
Best all round.

Hah! Like I need another headset!

Seriously, the Bose is so wonderful I'm not even curious, thanks anyway.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 25th 05, 12:18 AM
BTIZ

I had a great LightSpeed XL15 (??Ithink that was it) ANR.. worked great
until someone took a 5 finger discount on my truck late one night.

BT

om...