Non-certified parts for a certified plane?

Old August 20th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default Non-certified parts for a certified plane?

Hello,

Do I need certified engine monitors for a certified plane if I keep the
factory ones installed? I was asking this to someone at our airport
today and they thought that I could install, for example, one of those
fancy engine monitors you see in experimental airplanes, as long as I
had the certified counterparts that are required (egt, cht, fuel flow,
etc). Is this true?

Also, for non-essential flight gizmos like fuel flows (for example)...
why do I need a certified fuel flow compared to an non-certified one?

Thanks,

-dr

Old August 20th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Dico wrote:
Hello,

Do I need certified engine monitors for a certified plane if I keep the
factory ones installed? I was asking this to someone at our airport
today and they thought that I could install, for example, one of those
fancy engine monitors you see in experimental airplanes, as long as I
had the certified counterparts that are required (egt, cht, fuel flow,
etc). Is this true?

Not without a field approval.

Also, for non-essential flight gizmos like fuel flows (for example)...
why do I need a certified fuel flow compared to an non-certified one?

Because.

Old August 20th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

"Dico" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Do I need certified engine monitors

What's a certificated part (engine monitor)

for a certified plane

What's a certificated plane?

Jim

Old August 20th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

"Dico" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Do I need certified engine monitors

What's a certificated part (engine monitor)

for a certified plane

What's a certificated plane?

I hearby certify that this here thingy is a plane.

Signed:

The Honorable Steve Foley

Jim

Old August 20th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Dico" wrote:

Hello,

Do I need certified engine monitors for a certified plane if I keep the
factory ones installed? I was asking this to someone at our airport
today and they thought that I could install, for example, one of those
fancy engine monitors you see in experimental airplanes, as long as I
had the certified counterparts that are required (egt, cht, fuel flow,
etc). Is this true?

I suppose it would depend on what you define as a "certified part".
The KN 64 DME is, last I knew, not a certified DME (i.e., not TSO'd).
But the installation of that DME in my airplane is approved with
an STC and appropriate 337. Does that make it a certified part?

My suggestion to talk to your A&P/IA.

Also, for non-essential flight gizmos like fuel flows (for example)...
why do I need a certified fuel flow compared to an non-certified one?

Who said you do? Is that flight gizmo one of the instrument listed in
the equipment list for the certified airplane?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 20th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Most of you all know that my interpretation of the installation regulations
is very broad. I don't say that the sucker will fall out of the sky by
installing a DME that is, for all intents and purposes, is a minor
installation and a logbook entry is all that is required by my
interpretation.

HOWEVER, a failed fuel flow transducer WILL cause the airplane to fall out
of the sky under some fairly predictable failure modes. I draw the line at
an uncertificated (PMA at the very least) fuel flow transducer.

Having said that, whatever is DOWNstream of the transducer (readout,
computer, etc.) will NOT cause the aforementioned undesired aircraft descent
and can be sailboat quality for all I care.

Jim

Old August 21st 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

RST Engineering wrote:
HOWEVER, a failed fuel flow transducer WILL cause the airplane to fall out
of the sky under some fairly predictable failure modes. I draw the line at
an uncertificated (PMA at the very least) fuel flow transducer.

Does that include JPI's fuel flow computers too?

-Robert

Old August 21st 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

I have absolutely no idea of what process JPI has gone through to insure
fuel flow in the event of a failed transducer or how robust the housing of
the transducer is to insure that it won't fail and spray fuel all over a hot
engine. THey may be great. They may not. I just don't know because I
haven't done the research.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 22nd 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

The certified parts are the ones that get looked at during the annual
inspection. Don't you know anything... :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Money 201
4443H @ UMP

Old August 22nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

RST Engineering wrote:
I have absolutely no idea of what process JPI has gone through to insure
fuel flow in the event of a failed transducer or how robust the housing of
the transducer is to insure that it won't fail and spray fuel all over a hot
engine. THey may be great. They may not. I just don't know because I
haven't done the research.

I believe the JPI transducer is a Shadin.

My first lesson Marco Rispoli Aerobatics 3 May 17th 05 08:23 AM
My first aerobatic lesson Marco Rispoli Piloting 6 April 13th 05 02:21 PM
"certified' parts Jimmy B. Owning 51 March 18th 05 06:04 PM
It sure makes a difference to own your own plane!! Marco Rispoli Piloting 9 June 29th 04 11:15 PM
Rental policy Robert Piloting 83 May 13th 04 05:29 PM