A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Questions for SGS 2-33 Operators

Old June 19th 18, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Questions for SGS 2-33 Operators

Hi all,

Our club, the Black Forest Soaring Society, is refurbishing our venerable 2-33. She's going to look real nice when we're finished.

During this refurb a couple of questions have come up and so I'm posing them to the group:

First, how many are still operating with the original, war surplus, seat belts and shoulder harnesses? If you've changed out, what are you using in their place?

Second, how many are still the interior panels, either from Schweizer or a third party? If not, what is your experience without them?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark
Old June 19th 18, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

I'm with 2 different clubs that have 2-33s. One replaced the belts with new Hooker belts, the other still uses the original. Both still struggle with the original interior panels. I would worry about protecting the inside of the fabric from cuts, scrapes and stains without them.

We have recently had a problem with the wood rudder cable guides and had to replace a set when the cables sawed through them. Make sure you do that on your rebuild. Also, the sprung tail wheel is very nice and avoids the bang on take off that upsets new students. Do that install if you can.

Good luck with the project. 2-33s are the J-3 Cubs of our sport!

ROY
Old June 19th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 7:53:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all,

Our club, the Black Forest Soaring Society, is refurbishing our venerable 2-33. She's going to look real nice when we're finished.

During this refurb a couple of questions have come up and so I'm posing them to the group:

First, how many are still operating with the original, war surplus, seat belts and shoulder harnesses? If you've changed out, what are you using in their place?

Second, how many are still the interior panels, either from Schweizer or a third party? If not, what is your experience without them?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark

Interior replacement parts are available and worth not spending time and effort saving old parts. You need those panels in
Replacement belts are available from Wag Aero, among others.
Good Luck
UH
Old June 19th 18, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Jason at Arizona Soaring has new interior panels. See his ad in the back of Soaring magazine.

Paul A.
Old June 20th 18, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Further on the seat belts: another option is getting existing belts “re-webbed” at Aero Fabricators (part of Wag Aero.)
You remove and send in the old belts/shoulder harnesses and they replace the webbing in the fittings, matching the lengths etc.. Likely less $ then buying new assuming the metal fittings are still in good shape, and you can even pick the color.

A good idea to replace old, stiff, sweaty belts with new webbing of known condition and strength (and not sweaty).

https://www.wagaero.com/repair-stati...s-repairs.html

L
Old June 20th 18, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Yep i've had great experiences with Wag Aero re-webs on my Cherokee II and the 2-22E that I restored
Old June 25th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Mark
Old July 1st 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Just as a follow up: is anyone operating their 2-33 without the interior panels?

Mark
Old July 1st 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air
external usenet poster

The Central California soaring Clubs old 2-33 Orange Crush didn't have interior panels. It worked okay but the inside of the fabric in the cockpit sustained a fair bit of damage due to UV and people getting in and out. Because there is no paint on the inside of the fabric it is more susceptible to damage. It was definitely not optimal but it did work ok.
Old July 1st 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Could you not paint the inside of the fabric, or would that not be an
approved modification?* I would think your A&P could approve that.

On 7/1/2018 9:35 AM, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
The Central California soaring Clubs old 2-33 Orange Crush didn't have interior panels. It worked okay but the inside of the fabric in the cockpit sustained a fair bit of damage due to UV and people getting in and out. Because there is no paint on the inside of the fabric it is more susceptible to damage. It was definitely not optimal but it did work ok.

--
Dan, 5J