Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Old November 18th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Hi Ben! It been about three years since your post. I was wondering if you decided to buy a FES equiped glider after all, and if so, which one?
Just interested to see whay came of this!

Thanks,

Marco
Old November 23rd 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.
Old November 23rd 18, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

To answer the subject question:Â* Buy the one you like best, not what
someone tells you to buy.Â* Just because you buy the "top" ship does not
mean you'll win any contests.Â* Find what's comfortable for you, they all
perform pretty much the same and you'll want to be comfortable above all
else.

My 2 cents,

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 24th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 10:33:55 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.

Please be sure to let us know how you like it and how it performs, once you have a few hours in it. Thanks.
Old November 26th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for answering Ben. Great choice, I’m thinking about going on the GP 15 list as well!!!
Old November 26th 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:36:06 PM UTC-8, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of an 18m FES equipped sailplane...

You could always just build one.
Old November 27th 18, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

El lunes, 26 de noviembre de 2018, 14:55:16 (UTC-3), Bob Kuykendall escribió:
On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:36:06 PM UTC-8, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of an 18m FES equipped sailplane...

You could always just build one.

And install a grasshopper!
Old November 27th 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)

Hi Ben: I recently returned from Lithuania where I flew a modified LAK17B FES 18 meter that had been fitted with an upgraded FES battery system that allowed for self-launch. I also flew the MiniLAK FES, a self-launched 13.5 meter. Both gliders are flapped, and from 17 years experience with flapped and unflapped gliders, I would never buy an unflapped glider.

The LAK 17B FES launched easily from a relatively short paved strip, and was a joy to fly. My understanding from Vytas Maciulius, the Director of the LAK factory, is that LAK is working on a self-launching LAK17C FES. I don't know how soon it will be available, but I do know that FES battery packs with an extra 4 cells are now available, because Vytas gave me the option of adding one to the MiniLAK FES that I made a down payment on. Perhaps that might also be an option on the purchase of new LAK 17B. I don't know that for sure, but you certainly could find out. It would then become a self-launcher.
I've made only three flights in LAK gliders, so I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I was impressed enough with the gliders to purchase one. I thought the engineering of cockpit controls was exceptional (I'm comparing to my current LS-6), and my tour of the LAK factory convinced me that that a very high quality of craftsmanship prevails.
I've written an article on the trip and my experiences for an upcoming issue of Soaring, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might think to ask.
Matt Herron

Old November 27th 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

Thanks, Matt. What is the current delivery date?