CFI-G

Old September 29th 18, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joe Rizzo

Default CFI-G

Hi folks. Passed my Commercial Glider check ride today.

I'm currently a CFI-A. Do I need to take a written test before taking the CFI-G checkride?

Joe
Old September 29th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

61.185

T8
Old September 29th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A 25 question knowledge test is required.
Old September 29th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Right on point Evan!

ZO
Old September 29th 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Congrats, JR.
Old September 30th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 10:50:50 PM UTC-4, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Hi folks. Passed my Commercial Glider check ride today.

I'm currently a CFI-A. Do I need to take a written test before taking the CFI-G checkride?

Joe

61.185 speaks to the Fundamental of Instruction test only. Not the glider specific part.

Old September 30th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:14:09 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
61.185

T8

Needed two more clicks of windage.

61.183.

It's a more interesting question than I originally thought.

Airplane CFI holder definitely does not need to take FOI again, 61.183.e.1.

61.183.f says you must pass an aeronautical test pertinent to the rating sought. The question... which as far as I can tell isn't answered explicitly in the FARs... is whether the flight instructor airplane knowledge test is accepted for flight instructor glider. The answer is -probably- yes. But I'd send an email to my friendly FAA inspector guy to be sure.

T8
Old September 30th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:59:00 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:14:09 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

61.183.f says you must pass an aeronautical test pertinent to the rating sought. The question... which as far as I can tell isn't answered explicitly in the FARs... is whether the flight instructor airplane knowledge test is accepted for flight instructor glider. The answer is -probably- yes. But I'd send an email to my friendly FAA inspector guy to be sure.

No.
Please do not ask the FAA for clarification. That can (has) opened up the proverbial "can of worms." The person to ask is your local FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) who conducts Glider checkrides. That DPE will know what the requirements are, or know where to look it up faster than a FAA Inspector.

The Process:
The current or expired CFI-Airplane adding category of aircraft "Glider" must study for and take the Flight Instructor additional category - Glider FAA aeronautical knowledge test (formerly "written") at a FAA approved computer testing center. An appointment is required at the testing center and make sure they will download from the FAA the correct test, not the entire Initial CFI-Glider test. That test is 80 to 100 questions from about a 600 question pool. The CFI-G "add-category" test is only 25 questions. Miss 5 on the long test and you are a genius. Miss 5 on the short 25 question test and you fail. Questions are from the same large pool and may include weather, navigation, systems, FAR's, and more, not just familiar glider flying questions.

Practice Tests. I recommend the ASA brand "Prep Ware" CDROM or download questions for Flight Instructor - Glider practice tests. Study and practice until you can get near 100% and go take the written.

Missed Questions. It is mandatory that as soon as you come out of the testing center with your results page, go to your test prep resources and FIND THE QUESTIONS that you may have missed and write down the correct answers. This step is mandatory so you and your recommending CFIG can go over the missed questions per his/her FAA required endorsement for you to then take the Practical Test ("checkride".) Your Examiner during the oral portion of the checkride will ask you about those missed questions and your corrected answers. Unfortunately the written test results form (an important document to save) only gives you "test codes" of broad areas of knowledge so a timely review of the missed questions, at least the questions that you think you missed, is essential. (FAA intends to change this "test code" mystery soon.)

"How Will You Teach." So now you are endorsed by your CFIG and ready for the oral and flying portions of the chackride. The Examiner will ask questions starting with "How will you teach . . . and what are your references" -- your library of video links found on www.soaringsafety.org, texts, aero charts, FAR/AIM book, FAA Glider Flying Handbook, the glider flight manual, a new SSF/SSA pilot logbook with the updated endorsement templates in the back. So for a CFIG applicant it's not about, for example, "What are the performance airspeeds of this glider?" The Examiner's question will be about "How will you teach, explain, demonstrate" any Area of Operation / Task in your current FAA Practical Test Standards (PTS) booklet for Flight Instructor - Glider? You have the PTS already . . . yes?

Lesson Plans. A deeper depth of knowledge is required (with references) rather than a rote answer. Developing your Lesson Plans will help you focus on teaching. Bob Wander's "Learning to Fly Gliders" booklet is actually a set of Lesson Plans. Inexpensive, concise -- typical of all Bob Wander books. Buy them at www.bobwander.com Also buy his "CFIG Checkride Made Easy" booklet and "The Towpilot Manual" if you need a reference to endorse new tow pilots or re-endorse tow pilots every 24 months if required per FAR 61.69.

Free Checkrides at Marfa in southwest Texas.
Yes, I give FREE checkrides for PVT, COM, INITIAL CFIG and CFIG add-ons. Yes, FREE. No Examiner fee, no tow fees, no glider rental on the day of your checkride. I fly year-round. Pre-checkride orientation flights at Marfa with me are at my regular rates.

I have a lot to offer . . . 51 years in soaring . . . my passion is teaching, especially new CFIG's.
Inquire privately by e-mail (not on this group) for more details to marfagliders (at) A0L (dot) com
Or see my "Free Checkrides at Marfa" posting elsewhere on r.a.s.

Update: The FAA now may authorize me to travel to YOU for your checkride outside of my west Texas FSDO, most anywhere in the USA. I've also conducted 44 checkrides of foreign pilots over in Germany.

Burt Compton, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner. Not "easy", just "easy going."
Marfa, Texas
www.flygliders.com

Old September 30th 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 11:18:28 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:59:00 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:14:09 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

61.183.f says you must pass an aeronautical test pertinent to the rating sought. The question... which as far as I can tell isn't answered explicitly in the FARs... is whether the flight instructor airplane knowledge test is accepted for flight instructor glider. The answer is -probably- yes. But I'd send an email to my friendly FAA inspector guy to be sure.

No.

[...]

Thanks Burt. I should clarify that I have a specific individual in mind (the guy that examined me on my initial CFI) and he is indeed friendly and knowledgeable... and a glider guy too. He's surely examined scores of "add on" glider CFIs. I was not suggesting a blind call to a FSDO.

best,
T8
Old September 30th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

I just finished an add-on CFI student. No need to take FOI again. You take a 25 question knowledge test, which is a cut down version of the initial CFI-G knowledge test. Just ask for the glider add-on test for CFI at the usual test locations.

Lynn Alley