Cherokee getting fat

Old June 20th 05, 12:40 PM

Default Cherokee getting fat

We finally did it.... we had to weigh the airplane. After three years of
owning it, upgrading radios, adding whatzits (Tannis heater, vacuum filter, new
strobe, etc), we finally had a custom interior made up for it. Since the last
weighing was without an interior and the weight/moment would be hard to compute, we
figured putting it on the scales would be a good plan.

Old calculated weight: 1307
New measured weight: 1379

A few gotchas...The measured weight was without fuel, but with 6 qts of oil.
The calculated weight should have included everything except wheel pants and the
interior that had been installed. I was figuring about 30 lbs for the interior, and
10 for the pants, but that's still 25 lbs heavior than it should be.

Sound about normal for those who've done the same? Without having to take
them off, anyone know what wheelpants for a Hershey-bar cherokee weigh/balance?

Maybe *I* need to go on a crash diet before the big AK trip...
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old June 20th 05, 02:00 PM
Jay Honeck

I did some recent calculations for an upcoming trip via helicopter we are
taking in Australia with friends. Total allowed weight = 700 lbs
Total combined weight for the 4 of us = 638 lbs Total weight lost by all
of us since Christmas break = 90 lbs. I'm really glad the diets worked!!

I *thought* you guys looked thin(ner), but never had the chance to say
anything. Good job!

90 pounds -- wow!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 05, 06:34 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Maybe *I* need to go on a crash diet before the big AK trip...

I would call it an anti-crash diet.

Old June 20th 05, 07:24 PM

LOL... yeah, I guess one could call it that.

My biggest irritation is that the upholstery place used some thicker material
than I had thought... probably close to 10 lbs more cardboard and foam than necessary.
Oh well, at least it looks good and it's *MUCH* quieter with an interior.

Who'da thought that a -180 would be marginal for a cross-country with only two
people? 200 lbs of gear for two guys isn't that much for a big cross country like
that.

-Cory

Old June 20th 05, 09:11 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
We finally did it.... we had to weigh the airplane. After three years of
owning it, upgrading radios, adding whatzits (Tannis heater, vacuum

filter, new
strobe, etc), we finally had a custom interior made up for it. Since the

last
weighing was without an interior and the weight/moment would be hard to

compute, we
figured putting it on the scales would be a good plan.

Why in hell did you go for a Tanis heater instead of Reiff?

Old June 20th 05, 11:30 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
I did some recent calculations for an upcoming trip via helicopter we are
taking in Australia with friends. Total allowed weight = 700 lbs
Total combined weight for the 4 of us = 638 lbs Total weight lost by all
of us since Christmas break = 90 lbs. I'm really glad the diets worked!!

I *thought* you guys looked thin(ner), but never had the chance to say
anything. Good job!

90 pounds -- wow!

Ron and I only account for 50 of that!
Old June 21st 05, 11:53 AM

Matt Barrow wrote:
: Why in hell did you go for a Tanis heater instead of Reiff?

- Get heat *AT* the head... not at the other end of the jug where it has to go
by cooling fins designed to remove it to get where it's needed.
- We already had spark-plug CHT probes.
- We found an ebay deal.

My thinking is unless you had a good reason not to, Tannis is the better way
to go. Why do you think differently?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *